Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2013, 10:20 PM   #2476
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 27,453
RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK3434
Maybe Cotto can end the Cold War. A Canelo vs Cotto fight would be huge and Cotto has good relationships with both top rank and golden boy!





Probably not, though
I'm pretty confident that Canelo would wreck Cotto at this point in his career. Cotto can still look good against the right kind of opponents. Canelo is not the right kind of opponent.
RedBlackAttack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #2477
iamgine
...
 
iamgine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 11,136
iamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
And people wonder why the heavyweight division has been dying a slow death. I'm not going to blame it solely on the Klits, but their reign has been nothing short of snooze-worthy. That performance Saturday night was one of the most pathetic bouts I've seen in a long time.

Vlad Klit could have beaten Povetkin pretty much any way he chose to do so. That's bad enough, but to choose to lay on a guy for 12 rounds? Why even bother continuing? The most humorous part of the evening was when Lampley said something to the effect of, "When Floyd Mayweather avoids being hit, they call him the best, but when Vlad does it, people criticize."

Are you serious, pal? There was nothing remotely skillful about what Klit was doing in there.

It's time for the Klits to go away.
It was kinda ugly
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:59 PM   #2478
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,341
Scoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
And people wonder why the heavyweight division has been dying a slow death. I'm not going to blame it solely on the Klits, but their reign has been nothing short of snooze-worthy. That performance Saturday night was one of the most pathetic bouts I've seen in a long time.

Vlad Klit could have beaten Povetkin pretty much any way he chose to do so. That's bad enough, but to choose to lay on a guy for 12 rounds? Why even bother continuing? The most humorous part of the evening was when Lampley said something to the effect of, "When Floyd Mayweather avoids being hit, they call him the best, but when Vlad does it, people criticize."

Are you serious, pal? There was nothing remotely skillful about what Klit was doing in there.

It's time for the Klits to go away.
The point is valid. Once that opening bell rings, Wlad, like, Mayweather doesn't care one iota about entertaining the audience. It's all about the W. That was saavy vet boxing. Bernard Hopkins has been doing that and worse for 65 years. It's on the ref to intervene more (and on Povetkin to do something other than lunge in and fold in half at the waist).

I think Povetkin should get some small measure credit though. He's obviously a schlub who couldn't muster even a flash of legitimate challenge, but he can take a punch. Wlad hit him with some doozies.

The heavyweight division is two Hall of Famers who will never fight each other and know one who can touch them.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:08 AM   #2479
Lebron23
Banned
 
Lebron23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: LeBronville
Posts: 45,200
Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Prime and 1990's version of Mike Tyson would have beaten that current version of Wladimir Klitschko last night. A perfect body shot, and down goes Klitschko.

Vitali is the better fighter between the 2 brothers, and he was ahead of the scorecards before Lewis damaged his eyes. That's why Lennox didn't rematch him.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:14 AM   #2480
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 27,453
RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoooter
The point is valid.
The point is anything but valid, as Kellerman quickly countered. Mayweather stands in the center of the ring, often right in the pocket, using footwork, reflexes and counters to bewilder opponents. Klit was throwing a punch and then literally jumping on Povetkin's back. I've never seen anyone fight like that. It was actually sort of funny.

That wasn't but being a "savvy vet." That was taking advantage of a biased/incompetent referee against a putrid/unskilled opponent. Basically, it was everything you don't want to see in a fight, whether you're a purist or a casual fan.

Horrible, horrible fight in every conceivable way. That's probably the last time I'll ever watch Klit.
RedBlackAttack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:17 AM   #2481
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,341
Scoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
The point is anything but valid, as Kellerman quickly countered. Mayweather stands in the center of the ring, often right in the pocket, using footwork, reflexes and counters to bewilder opponents. Klit was throwing a punch and then literally jumping on Povetkin's back. I've never seen anyone fight like that. It was actually sort of funny.
I wasn't paying attention to their banter. I miss Larry Merchant's drunken inanities. It stands, however, that Mayweather has fought some horrendous, boring fights and not cared at all. It's all about the W.

Quote:
That wasn't but being a "savvy vet." That was taking advantage of a biased/incompetent referee against a putrid/unskilled opponent. Basically, it was everything you don't want to see in a fight, whether you're a purist or a casual fan.

That's exactly what vets do. It's not the winner's fault that the loser was a dud.

Quote:
Horrible, horrible fight in every conceivable way. That's probably the last time I'll ever watch Klit.
Oh no!
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #2482
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year
 
Tarik One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,540
Tarik One has decent reputationTarik One has decent reputation
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron23
Prime and 1990's version of Mike Tyson would have beaten that current version of Wladimir Klitschko last night. A perfect body shot, and down goes Klitschko.

Vitali is the better fighter between the 2 brothers, and he was ahead of the scorecards before Lewis damaged his eyes. That's why Lennox didn't rematch him.
Lennox was out of shape for that fight. He also admitted that he lost passion for the sport after beating Tyson. He was never ducking Vitali.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #2483
DonD13
GYMNAST
 
DonD13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: laboratory
Posts: 13,630
DonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik One
Lennox was out of shape for that fight. He also admitted that he lost passion for the sport after beating Tyson. He was never ducking Vitali.

fact is, that he refused to give him the much anticipated rematch and walked away from what could have been one of his biggest pay days.

actually he promised the rematch but retired all of a sudden - that is ducking.

as for being out of shape and 'losing passion' - nobody cares about those kind of excuses... I mean, yes it was not prime Lewis but if he thought that he would beat Vitali then trust me he would have taken the rematch 100%
DonD13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:59 PM   #2484
PK3434
Good Golly!
 
PK3434's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,628
PK3434 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Bob Arum says Cotto vs Sergio Martinez being discussed for pr weekend at met life stadium. That's next June.
PK3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:03 AM   #2485
lefthook00
College star
 
lefthook00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,991
lefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonD13
fact is, that he refused to give him the much anticipated rematch and walked away from what could have been one of his biggest pay days.

actually he promised the rematch but retired all of a sudden - that is ducking.

as for being out of shape and 'losing passion' - nobody cares about those kind of excuses... I mean, yes it was not prime Lewis but if he thought that he would beat Vitali then trust me he would have taken the rematch 100%

Ducking or not, Lennox was winning a close fight and he won via TKO fair and square.
lefthook00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:09 AM   #2486
lefthook00
College star
 
lefthook00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,991
lefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

I really want to see Canelo vs. Lara.
lefthook00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:39 AM   #2487
DonD13
GYMNAST
 
DonD13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: laboratory
Posts: 13,630
DonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook00
Ducking or not, Lennox was winning a close fight and he won via TKO fair and square.

yes I agree he won no matter what but he was behind on the cards.

fun fact: the English wikipedia says the cut came from a punch while the German wikipedia says it was a headbutt
I believe it was the right hand too
DonD13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #2488
lefthook00
College star
 
lefthook00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,991
lefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonD13
yes I agree he won no matter what but he was behind on the cards.

fun fact: the English wikipedia says the cut came from a punch while the German wikipedia says it was a headbutt
I believe it was the right hand too

Perhaps he was just partying too much at the time and after the fight as well. It was probably a combination of that + seeing something in Vitali during the fight that he didn't want to face again....he most likely didn't want to train for the fight of his life which is what a rematch could very well have been...












Some dream matches of mine (not b/c they are necessarily evenly matched, but just cuz..)

GGG vs. Froch
Dirrell vs. Kessler
Manny vs. Broner
Manny vs. Canelo
Canelo vs. Lara
Cotto vs. Ortiz
Broner vs. Garcia
Matthysse vs. Maidana vs. Rios!!!!
M. Garcia vs. Gamboa
Vitali vs. Wlad
lefthook00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #2489
Nastradamus
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,919
Nastradamus is considered somewhat coolNastradamus is considered somewhat coolNastradamus is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK3434
Bob Arum says Cotto vs Sergio Martinez being discussed for pr weekend at met life stadium. That's next June.

This would be a damn good fight. Martinez probably wins, but Cotto has something left to prove.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:01 PM   #2490
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan
 
SCREWstonRockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Clutch City 2K9
Posts: 3,758
SCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Speaking of HWs, Lennox Lewis said he wants $100M to come out of retirement and fight a Klitschko and he might get it...
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:58 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy