Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-22-2013, 09:23 PM   #2596
PK3434
Good Golly!

PK3434 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
His options are low. Rios, JJM and rematches with Tim B and Mile High. Roach said Manny is out the window.

And I don't see why Showtime wont continue to make a profit next year? Schafer did his thing this year. The three most anticipated matches of the year, he made happen when 95% of people didn't think it would happen. Mayweather/Canelo, Garcia/Matthysse and the upcoming Broner/Maidana PPV.

Canelo, Broner, Garcia, Matthysse, Mares, Cruz, ect will only be bigger next year, with Canelo, Broner, and Garcia being much bigger.

Next year expect to see Broner/Garcia and Mares/Cruz somewhere down the line.

I didn't say showtime isn't doing well. I just said that they probably don't want to triple their boxing budget again. They certainly didn't triple the amount of their subscribers. . Golden boy has a deep roster of talented fighters...a lot of al Haymon fighters who demand rich purses. There's only so many dates they can have in a year. That's why eventually something will have to give and hbo and golden boy will have some kind of makeup.
PK3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:29 PM   #2597
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK3434
I didn't say showtime isn't doing well. I just said that they probably don't want to triple their boxing budget. Golden boy has a deep roster of talented fighters...a lot of al Haymon fighters who demand rich purses. There's only so many dates they can have in a year. That's why eventually something will have to give and hbo and golden boy will have some kind of makeup.
Golden Boy has a show on Fox Sports, they've been running those instead of the usual ShoBox episodes every Friday. They only have 3 more events this year, Bernard Hopkins-Marut this weekend, one in November with Devon Alexander and one in December with Zab/Paulie. The Broner/Maidana doesn't go towards the Showtime budget since it's a PPV card.

With HBO, it's more than Top Rank, it's basically everyone but Golden Boy.

And their boxing budge might get some more juice with the success of the Mayweather/Canelo PPV. And if Broner/Maidana does better than Bradley/JMM, that will help too.
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:50 PM   #2598
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation here

GOLDEN BOY vs TOP RANK 2013

On March 20th, Golden Boy and HBO parted ways. These are the match-ups that top place afterwards. Who wins?

TOP RANK/HBO

Mar 29
Brandon Rios/Mike Alvarado II

Apr 5
Zou Shiming/Eleazar Valenzuela

Apr 12
Nonito Donaire/Guillermo Rigondeaux

Jun 15
Mikey Garcia/Juan Manuel Lopez

Jul 27
Zou Shiming/Jesus Ortega

Sep 28
Julio Cesear Chavez/Bryan Vera and Adonis Stevenson/Tavoris Cloud

Oct 5
Miguel Cotto/Delvin Rodriguez

Oct 12 PPV
Timothy Bradley/Juan Manuel Marquez

Oct 19
Mike Alvarado/Ruslan Provadnicov

Nov 9
Rocky Martinez/Mikey Garcia and Nonito Donaire/Vic Darchinyan

Nov 23 PPV
Manny Pacquiao/Brandon Rios

Dec 7
Guillermo Rigondeaux/Joseph Agbeko

GOLDEN BOY

Apr 20
Canelo Alvarez/Austin Trout

Apr 27
Danny Garcia/Zab Judah and Amir Khan/Julio Diaz

May 3 PPV
Floyd Mayweather/Robert Guerrero

May 18
Lamont Peterson/Lucas Matthysse

June 8
Marcos Maidana/Josesito Lopez

June 22
Adrien Broner/Paulie Maliginaggi

July 19
Mikey Bey/John Molina

Jul 27
Andre Berto/Jesus Sotto Karas

Aug 9
Deontay Wilder/Siarhei Liakhovich

Aug 28
Abner Mares/Jhonny Gonzalez

Sep 7
Seth Mitchell/Chris Arreola

Sep 14 PPV
Floyd Mayweather/Canelo Alvarez and Danny Garcia Lucas Matthysse

Oct 26
Bernard Hopkins/Karo Marut

Nov 30
Devon Alexander/Shawn Porter

Dec 7
Zab Judah/Paulie Maliginaggi and Erislandy Lara/Austin Trout

Dec 14 PPV
Adrien Broner/Marcos Maidana
Old 10-23-2013, 11:51 PM   #2599
kNicKz
College superstar

kNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
GOLDEN BOY vs TOP RANK 2013

On March 20th, Golden Boy and HBO parted ways. These are the match-ups that top place afterwards. Who wins?

TOP RANK/HBO

Mar 29
Brandon Rios/Mike Alvarado II

Apr 5
Zou Shiming/Eleazar Valenzuela

Apr 12
Nonito Donaire/Guillermo Rigondeaux

Jun 15
Mikey Garcia/Juan Manuel Lopez

Jul 27
Zou Shiming/Jesus Ortega

Sep 28
Julio Cesear Chavez/Bryan Vera and Adonis Stevenson/Tavoris Cloud

Oct 5
Miguel Cotto/Delvin Rodriguez

Oct 12 PPV
Timothy Bradley/Juan Manuel Marquez

Oct 19
Mike Alvarado/Ruslan Provadnicov

Nov 9
Rocky Martinez/Mikey Garcia and Nonito Donaire/Vic Darchinyan

Nov 23 PPV
Manny Pacquiao/Brandon Rios

Dec 7
Guillermo Rigondeaux/Joseph Agbeko

GOLDEN BOY

Apr 20
Canelo Alvarez/Austin Trout

Apr 27
Danny Garcia/Zab Judah and Amir Khan/Julio Diaz

May 3 PPV
Floyd Mayweather/Robert Guerrero

May 18
Lamont Peterson/Lucas Matthysse

June 8
Marcos Maidana/Josesito Lopez

June 22
Adrien Broner/Paulie Maliginaggi

July 19
Mikey Bey/John Molina

Jul 27
Andre Berto/Jesus Sotto Karas

Aug 9
Deontay Wilder/Siarhei Liakhovich

Aug 28
Abner Mares/Jhonny Gonzalez

Sep 7
Seth Mitchell/Chris Arreola

Sep 14 PPV
Floyd Mayweather/Canelo Alvarez and Danny Garcia Lucas Matthysse

Oct 26
Bernard Hopkins/Karo Marut

Nov 30
Devon Alexander/Shawn Porter

Dec 7
Zab Judah/Paulie Maliginaggi and Erislandy Lara/Austin Trout

Dec 14 PPV
Adrien Broner/Marcos Maidana

HBO has the better names

Golden Boy has the better fights
kNicKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:56 PM   #2600
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kNicKz
HBO has the better names

Golden Boy has the better fights
If we're just talking Top Rank/Golden Boy, GB beats them.

Top names for TR are Pac Man and Bradley and Donaire and Chavez Jr. JJM and Cotto are promoted by themselves, just partner with TR (like Mayweather with GB.) Cotto has one more fight on his TR partnership as he was with GB up until a few months back (Trout and Mayweather fights.)

GB top names are Canelo/Broner/Garcia/Hopkins.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #2601
PK3434
Good Golly!

PK3434 has an OK reputation so far

In my opinion, overall Golden Boy has the best stable of fighters right now.

I still prefer HBO's boxing production much better than Showtime's.

Also, don't sleep on K2 Promotions..They are starting to have a lot of success in the US Market. They have Golovkin who is the most exciting fighter on the planet to me and Lomachenko, who could be one of the top 5 talents in the sport. HBO will be pushing both heavily.
PK3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #2602
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

SCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK3434
I didn't say showtime isn't doing well. I just said that they probably don't want to triple their boxing budget again. They certainly didn't triple the amount of their subscribers. . Golden boy has a deep roster of talented fighters...a lot of al Haymon fighters who demand rich purses. There's only so many dates they can have in a year. That's why eventually something will have to give and hbo and golden boy will have some kind of makeup.
Exactly. Very well put and thanks for saying it. One thing I notice that I find ridiculous is that Golden Boy has fanboys. Like really? You dick ride a promotional company? If anything, promoters have "killed" boxing as much as anything else. Like they'll diss every top rank move but Golden Boy can do no wrong. It's crazy. Are we really at the point where we are picking sides between promoters?

Fans need to understand, that it would be so much better for the Fans and Golden Boy if they got back on the good graces of HBO. GBP pretty much shot themselves in the foot. They went Showtime exclusively even before HBO gave them the boot. As you said, it hurts GBP with lack of dates, and smaller budget combined with a good stable of fighters.

Quote:
The Broner/Maidana doesn't go towards the Showtime budget since it's a PPV card.

Lol of course it does, it's a Showtime PPV. Who do you think is doing all the production? Why do you think they made that Canelo fight happen so fast? They lost money with the Guerrero PPV. But I'm sure the Canelo fight helped them recoup.

I could care less who is promoting the fight, just give me good matchups. That's all I care to see.
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:24 PM   #2603
magic chiongson
I post-up midgets

magic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

140 lbs is where the action is at, and GBP has the edge. top rank only edged a bit closer with the provodnikov-alvarado-rios stuff.
magic chiongson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:59 PM   #2604
lefthook00
College star

lefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected poster

I would like to see Terence Crawford step up in competition and eventually catch the tail end of this 140lbs madness that is going on right now....in about a year or so.
lefthook00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #2605
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

SCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook00
I would like to see Terence Crawford step up in competition and eventually catch the tail end of this 140lbs madness that is going on right now....in about a year or so.

I think Juan Diaz, who just signed with TR, would be a good test for TC at lightweight. Or perhaps a fight with Gamboa
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #2606
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Tarik One has decent reputationTarik One has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREWstonRockets
Exactly. Very well put and thanks for saying it. One thing I notice that I find ridiculous is that Golden Boy has fanboys. Like really? You dick ride a promotional company? If anything, promoters have "killed" boxing as much as anything else. Like they'll diss every top rank move but Golden Boy can do no wrong. It's crazy. Are we really at the point where we are picking sides between promoters?

Fans need to understand, that it would be so much better for the Fans and Golden Boy if they got back on the good graces of HBO. GBP pretty much shot themselves in the foot. They went Showtime exclusively even before HBO gave them the boot. As you said, it hurts GBP with lack of dates, and smaller budget combined with a good stable of fighters.

Lol of course it does, it's a Showtime PPV. Who do you think is doing all the production? Why do you think they made that Canelo fight happen so fast? They lost money with the Guerrero PPV. But I'm sure the Canelo fight helped them recoup.

I could care less who is promoting the fight, just give me good matchups. That's all I care to see.

They'll have to continue air boxing events with multiple big names. There's no way they can set up all those PPV's, regardless of which network it is.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:52 PM   #2607
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

October 26
Showtime Championship Boxing

Bernard Hopkins vs. Karo Murat for Hopkins' IBF Light Heavyweight Championship
Peter Quillin vs. Gabriel Rosado for Quillin's WBO Middleweight Championship
Deontay Wilder vs. Nicolai Firtha for Wilder’s WBC Continental Americas Championship
Showtime Boxing on Showtime Extreme
Dominic Wade vs. Roberto Ventura
Braulio Santos vs. David Clark
Bryant Cruz vs. Jules Blackwell
Zachary Ochoa vs. Michael Doyle

AWE TV

Kell Brook vs. Vyacheslav Senchenko
Old 10-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #2608
jaydacris
Rose

jaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

big changes to showtime cards in december:

Nov. 30 card is scrapped

12/7 lineup in Brooklyn, Barclays Center:
Judah-Malignaggi
Alexander-Porter
Lara-Trout
Bika-Dirrell

12/14 lineup in San Antonio, Alamo dome:
Broner-Maidana
Thurman-Soto Karass
Santa Cruz-Seda
Ortiz-Alfonso Gomez
Shumenov-Kovas
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:22 PM   #2609
jaydacris
Rose

jaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

this Hopkins fight is a gong show
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:38 AM   #2610
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Tarik One has decent reputationTarik One has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydacris
this Hopkins fight is a gong show
No surprise. He's been a dud for a while now.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: