Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-31-2013, 09:26 PM   #2626
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Is this one of the best cards on cable ever! It's even getting an All-Access from what I've heard.

Quote:
DANGER ZONE

WBA WELTERWEIGHT WORLD CHAMPION ADRIEN BRONER
TO DEFEND HIS TITLE AGAINST FORMER WORLD CHAMPION MARCOS MAIDANA ON DEC. 14 LIVE ON SHOWTIME
FROM THE ALAMODOME IN SAN ANTONIO

INTERIM WBA WELTERWEIGHT CHAMPION KEITH THURMAN DEFENDS HIS TITLE AGAINST JESUS SOTO KARASS,
WBC SUPER BANTAMWEIGHT CHAMPION LEO SANTA CRUZ FACES CESAR SEDA, WBA LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION BEIBUT SHUMENOV TAKES ON TAMAS KOVACS

Plus! The Much Anticipated Ring Return of Victor Ortiz

SAN ANTONIO (Oct. 31, 2013) - WBA Welterweight Champion Adrien "The Problem" Broner and former WBA Junior Welterweight Champion Marcos "El Chino" Maidana are no strangers to facing the most feared competitors in the sport of boxing. On Saturday, Dec. 14, in a SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING® mega-bout to air live from the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas, the bold and brash Broner and the punching powerhouse Maidana will enter the DANGER ZONE like never before, with "The Problem" defending his title against the Argentine knockout artist determined to wrap championship gold around his waist once again.

Who will emerge from the DANGER ZONE unscathed? Will it be the fast and precise Broner or the aggressive and powerful Maidana? The world will find out on Dec. 14.

"Maidana is one-dimensional and not in my league," said Broner. "I'm a Ferrari and he's a go-kart and my fans will see that in my return to Texas. It's been over four years since I've fought there and I'm going to put on a show. Watch me light Maidana up like a Christmas tree on Dec. 14."

"Everyone knows that Broner has a big mouth, but that doesn't bother me, because his mouth can't fight for him," said Maidana. "Whether he has the guts to stand in front of me or if he runs I'll definitely go for the KO and either way, I'm leaving the ring with the belt."

"On paper this is the classic boxer versus puncher matchup, but Broner is also willing to stand and trade and Maidana can box, so I'm expecting this to be a Fight of the Year candidate to end 2013," said CEO of Golden Boy Promotions Richard Schaefer. "There's a lot on the line for both fighters and I can't wait to see who comes out of the DANGER ZONE with the belt."

"With five amazing fights and boxing's top stars, I can't think of anyplace better to have this event than in San Antonio," said President of Leija*Battah Promotions Mike Battah. "As shown with the Canelo Alvarez-Austin Trout fight, this is a city that loves and supports the sport, and I can't wait to see the Alamodome filled once again on Dec. 14."

"This has been an outstanding year for boxing on SHOWTIME, and I can't think of any better way to end 2013 than with a stacked card like this one. Adrien Broner vs. Marcos Maidana is a dream matchup between two of the biggest names in the welterweight division. Keith Thurman and Jesus Soto Karass are two of the most aggressive, hard-hitting fighters in any division," said Executive Vice President & General Manager of SHOWTIME Sports Stephen Espinoza. "We've also got one of the sport's top young fighters in Leo Santa Cruz. Add in the return of Victor Ortiz, and it's clear that this truly is a can't-miss event. It's a pay per view-quality event without the pay per view price tag."

In the co-main event, one of boxing's top young stars, Keith "One Time" Thurman, will meet his toughest challenge yet when he defends his interim WBA Welterweight Championship against Mexico's Jesus "Renuente" Soto Karass.

"Soto Karass is a tough guy, there's no question about that, and I respect him a lot," said Thurman. "But his style is tailor-made for me and I expect to defend my title and win by knockout."

"Thurman is a young, talented fighter with good power," said Soto Karass. "But as I proved in my fight with Andre Berto that when I'm on top of my game, no one can beat me. I will become a world champion on Dec. 14."

Before Thurman and Soto Karass battle it out, the WBC Super Bantamweight Championship will be on the line when defending champion Leo "Teremoto" Santa Cruz battles Cesar Seda.

"I'm looking forward to getting back in the ring and making my debut in Texas against Cesar Seda," said Santa Cruz. "Seda is a quality fighter and a top contender, but I'm not ready to give up my belt to him or anyone."

"I admire Santa Cruz for his talent and his accomplishments, but styles make fights, and I have the style to beat him and bring the world championship back to Puerto Rico," said Seda.

The stacked card's opening world championship fight pits Kazakhstan's Beibut Shumenov against unbeaten challenger Tamas "Tomi Kid" Kovacs in a 12-round bout for Shumenov's WBA Light Heavyweight Title.

"I am excited to be back in the ring and to compete on such an amazing event," said Shumenov. "It's been a long time for me, and I'm hungry to beat Kovacs in impressive style and retain my title."

"It has been my dream to fight in the United States against the best in the world, and on Dec. 14 I finally get my chance," said Kovacs. "Shumenov is a great champion, but I am confident in my ability to take his title."

Plus, in a special 10-round super welterweight attraction former Welterweight World Champion "Vicious" Victor Ortiz makes his much anticipated return to the ring.

"It's great to be back and I can't wait for my return on Dec. 14," said Ortiz. "I'm stronger and better than ever at 154 pounds, and the world will see that when the bell rings."

Cincinnati's Adrien "The Problem" Broner (27-0, 22 KO's) is boxing's latest superstar, a charismatic and talented fighter who has made it clear with his performances that he's here to stay. A five-year pro, the 24-year-old boxer-puncher won his first world title in 2011 when he knocked out Vicente Martin Rodriguez for the WBO Super Featherweight crown and he added the WBC Lightweight belt when he scored an eighth-round technical knockout over Antonio DeMarco in 2012. But Broner's greatest feat came when he jumped from 135 to 147 pounds in June, defeating Paulie Malignaggi to win the WBA Welterweight Championship. On Dec.14, he makes his first defense against the biggest puncher he's ever faced.

Thirty-year-old Marcos "El Chino" Maidana (34-3, 31 KO's) isn't just one of boxing's biggest punchers; he's also consistently amongst the most exciting fighters in the game today, one who has specialized in Fight of the Year-worthy battles against the best the sport has to offer. Hailing from Margarita, Santa Fe, Argentina, Maidana first emerged on the world scene in 2009, when he won the interim WBA World Junior Welterweight Championship with a stunning sixth-round technical knockout over Victor Ortiz. After three defenses of his title, Maidana lost a 2010 Fight of the Year candidate to Amir Khan, but he regained the belt with another classic against Erik Morales in 2011. Since then, Maidana - now competing at welterweight - has won four of his last five, all by knockout, most recently halting Josesito Lopez in six rounds on June 8.

A former amateur standout who compiled over 100 wins, Keith "One Time" Thurman (21-0, 19 KO's) owns the kind of power that has made the boxing world take notice. On a tear since returning in 2012 from an injury-forced layoff, the 24-year-old from Clearwater, Fla. has made a statement with his trio of recent victories, as he's scored a technical knockout over Carlos Quintana, shut out Jan Zaveck and won the interim WBA Welterweight Championship with a 10th-round knockout over Diego Chaves. On Dec. 14, he makes his first title defense.

One of the most respected veterans in the sport today, 30-year-old Los Mochis native Jesus "Renuente" Soto Karass (28-8-3, 18 KO's) has been in some classic fights over the years, going toe-to-toe with the likes of Marcos Maidana and Andre Berto. The Berto fight in July was particularly important for him, as the 12-round technical knockout win (his fourth in his last five bouts) earned him the world title he has craved since turning pro in 2001. He promises that he won't let this chance slip away.

Boxing's breakout star, Leo "Terremoto" Santa Cruz (25-0-1, 15 KO's) has already earned world championships in two weight classes, despite being just 25-years-old. A native of Huetamo, Mexico now living in Los Angeles, Santa Cruz's fan-friendly attack has garnered him followers from around the world, and after his 2013 knockouts of Alexander Munoz and Victor Terrazas, the latter victory earning him the WBC Super Bantamweight Championship, he shows no signs of slowing down in his quest for boxing greatness.

A native of the boxing-rich island of Puerto Rico, San Juan southpaw Cesar Seda (25-1, 17 KO's) initially made his name in the fight game with a successful run at 115 pounds, where he won the WBA Fedecaribe and NABO titles before losing for the only time in his career against WBO Champion Omar Narvaez in April of 2011. Since that bout, the 27-year-old Seda has gone up in weight and won five straight fights, two by way of knockout, earning him a title shot on Dec. 14.

One of boxing's most charismatic young stars, 26-year-old "Vicious" Victor Ortiz (29-4-2, 22 KO's) has made headlines in and out of the ring, first as a former welterweight world champion who has engaged in memorable battles with Andre Berto, Floyd Mayweather, Marcos Maidana, Antonio Diaz, and Josesito Lopez; but also as a member of the cast of ABC's hit series "Dancing With The Stars." Now with his dancing shoes put away, Ortiz has the gloves back on and makes his highly anticipated return to the ring.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:24 AM   #2627
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

So it's not PPV? That's good if so. Don't think it would have done well. Not sure about best card ever on Showtime though.

And broner dissing Mayweather? @ 00:57
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myWxO...ature=youtu.be

Guess they're building up for that future mega fight (if broner keeps winning
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #2628
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREWstonRockets
So it's not PPV? That's good if so. Don't think it would have done well. Not sure about best card ever on Showtime though.

And broner dissing Mayweather? @ 00:57
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myWxO...ature=youtu.be

Guess they're building up for that future mega fight (if broner keeps winning
I don't see the diss?

I I pictured Broner/Mayweather in 2015 or even as soon as September of next year.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #2629
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

November 2
HBO Championship Boxing
MONSTERS COLLIDE: GOLOVKIN VS. STEVENS

Gennady Golovkin vs. Curtis Stevens for Golovkin’s WBA and IBO Middleweight Championships
Magomed Abdusalamov vs. Mike Perez
Ola Afolabi vs. Lukasz Janik for the vacant IBO Cruiserweight Championship

-----

Big fight tonight. Can GGG keep up his KO streak, or will Stevens score the upset victory?
Old 11-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #2630
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
I don't see the diss?

I I pictured Broner/Mayweather in 2015 or even as soon as September of next year.
"Nowadays n***as act friendly but they haters" then cuts to a clip of him and Floyd
Old 11-02-2013, 03:50 PM   #2631
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Quote:
Bradley-Marquez did 300,000. I can see Broner-Maidana doing 200,000 to 250 which is a success for Broner's first PPV.

Quote:
"Nowadays n***as act friendly but they haters" then cuts to a clip of him and Floyd
We all know Broner doesn't hold his tongue. IF he felt that way, he would have said it long ago ...

Just last week at the B-Hop fight, they asked him if he'll fight Mayweather and he said "Let's just keep the money in the family."

Last edited by L.Kizzle : 11-02-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #2632
Bobcats2013
Warriors NBA Champs 14

Stevens got good boy'd. Triple G is really good don't you guys know?
Bobcats2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:50 PM   #2633
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Man, Golovkin is some kind of puncher. Close to perfect.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #2634
PK3434
Good Golly!

Got back from the GGG fight this morning. Awesome atmosphere. Everyone knows GGG is a beast now, but one other thing is the women that came to see him! These Russian/Korean/kazhi women were incredible.
PK3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:22 PM   #2635
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

GGG is a beast. Surprised Stevens lasted so long after that 2nd round knockdown.

Looks like GGG will be fighting Martin Murray on Feb 1st.

I'd love to see Stevens vs. Rosado.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:18 PM   #2636
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

November 9
HBO Championship Boxing

Roman Martinez vs. Mikey Garcia for Martinez' WBO Super Featherweight Championship
Nonito Donaire vs. Vic Darchynian
Vanes Martirosyan vs. Demetrius Andrade for the vacant WBO Light Middleweight Championship
Nicholas Walters vs. Alberto Garza for Walters WBA World Featherweight Championship

November 11
Fox Sports 1
Golden Boy Live!

Fidel Maldonado Jr. vs. Luis Ramos Jr.
Fernando Guerrero vs. Raymond Gatica
Terrell Gausha vs. TBA

November 16
NBC Fight Night

Tomasz Adamek vs. Vyacheslav Glazcov for Adamek’s IBF North American Heavyweight Title
Karl Dargon vs. Mike Brooks
HBO Championship Boxing

Andre Ward vs. Edwin Rodriguez for Ward’s WBA Super Middleweight Championship

November 23
HBO PPV
THE CLASH IN COTAI: PACQUIAO VS. RIOS

Manny Pacquiao vs. Brandon Rios for the vacant WBO International Welterweight Championship
Evgueny Gradovich vs. Billy Dib for Gradovich’s IBF Featherweight Champhinship
Andy Ruiz Jr. vs. Tor Hamer for Ruiz’ WBO Intercontinental Heavyweight Championship
Zou Shiming vs. Juan Tozcano
-----
AWE
BATTLE OF BRITAIN: FROCH VS. GROOVES

Carl Froch vs. George Grooves for Froch’s WBA/IBF Super Middleweight Championship
Scott Quigg vs. TBA for Quigg's WBA Super Bantamweight Championship

November 26
Fox Sports 1
Golden Boy Live!

Antonio Tarver vs. Mike Sheppard
Randy Caballero vs. Jesse Cruz

November 30
HBO Championship Boxing

Adonis Stevenson vs. Tony Bellow for Stevenson’s WBC Light Heavyweight and Ring/Lineal Championships
Sergey Kovalev vs. Ismayl Sillakh for Kovalev’s WBO Light Heavyweight Championship

December 6
ShoBox: The Next Generation

J’Leon Love vs. TBA
Badou Jack vs. TBA
Mikey Bey vs. TBA

December 7
Showtime Championship Boxing
THE BATTLE OF BROOKLYN: JUDAH VS. MALIGNAGGI

Zab Judah vs. Paulie Malignaggi
Devon Alexander vs. Shawn Porter for Alexander's IBF Welterweight Championship
Erislandy Lara vs. Austin Trout for the vacant WBA “Regular” Junior Middleweight Championship
Sakio Bika vs. Anthony Dirrell for Bika’s WBC Light Heavyweight Championship
Danny Jacobs vs. TBA
Marcus Browne vs. TBA
HBO Championship Boxing
Guillermo Rigondeaux vs. Joseph Agbeko for Rigondeaux’ WBA and WBO Junior Featherweight Championships
James Kirkland vs. Glen Tapia
Mathew Macklin vs. Willie Nelson
-----
Darren Barker vs. Felix Sturm for Barker’s IBF Middleweight Championship

December 13
Fox Sports 1
Golden Boy Live!

Josesito Lopez vs. Aaron Martinez
Francisco Vargas vs. Jerry Belmontes
Julian Ramirez vs. TBA
Joel De La Hoya vs. TBA

December 14
DANGER ZONE: BRONER VS. MAIDANA

Adrien Broner vs. Marcos Maidana for Broner’s WBA Welterweight Championship
Keith Thurman vs. Jesus Soto Karass for Thurman’s WBA Interim Welterweight Championship
Leo Santa Cruz vs. Cesar Seda for a Cruz’ WBC Junior Featherweight Championship
Beibut Shumenov vs. Tamaz Kovacs for Shumenov’s WBA Super World and IBA Light Heavyweight Championship
Victor Ortiz vs. TBA
Jermall Charlo vs. TBA
Ricardo Alvaraz vs. TBA
Antonio Orozco vs., TBA
-----
NBC Sports Network Fight Night
Lionell Thompson vs. Ryan Coyne
Decarlo Perez vs. TBA

January 18
HBO Boxing After Dark

Jean Pascal vs. Lucian Bute

January 25
HBO Boxing After Dark

Orlando Salido vs. Vasyl Lomachenko for Salido’s WBO Featherweight Championship

February 1

Peter Quillin vs. Danny Jacobs for Quillins’s WBO Middleweight Championship
HBO Championship Boxing
Gennady Golovkin vs. Martin Murray for Golovkin’s WBA and IBO Middleweight Championships

February 8
SkyBox Office

David Haye vs. Tyson Fury

March 8
Showtime PPV

Canelo Alvarez vs. TBA

May 3
Showtime PPV

Floyd Mayweather vs. TBA

July 26
Showtime PPV

Canelo Alvarez vs. TBA

September 13
Showtime PPV

Floyd Mayweather vs. TBA

November 22
Showtime PPV

Canelo Alvarez vs. TBA
Old 11-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #2637
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

Popped a Molly, I'm sweating

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle

Wooooooo
Old 11-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #2638
jaydacris
BTE One Hit Wonder

schaeffer gave Cotto an '8 figure' offer to fight Canelo in March
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #2639
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

Schafer getting desperate. They don't have many,if any future opponents that draws like Cotto can. Which matters a lot now with Canelo going all PPV. If I'm Cotto, I'd take that offer on a one fight deal, then go for the Martinez fight after Canelo. Cash the f**k out.

In other news, Bradley-Marquez does $21.5M with 375,000 buys.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id...ds-375000-ppvs

Last edited by SCREWstonRockets : 11-06-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #2640
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

November 9
HBO Championship Boxing

Roman Martinez vs. Mikey Garcia for Martinez' WBO Super Featherweight Championship
Nonito Donaire vs. Vic Darchynian
Vanes Martirosyan vs. Demetrius Andrade for the vacant WBO Light Middleweight Championship
Nicholas Walters vs. Alberto Garza for Walters WBA World Featherweight Championship

-----

Nice triple-header tonight on HBO. Vanes and Andrade got into a scuffle at the weight in yesterday,
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: