Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-04-2011, 01:02 AM   #256
Flash88
Kids at the park dunk on me

Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Since Cotto's contract with Top Rank is over, think of all the permutations of fights that could be made if Cotto signs with Golden Boy.

Cotto/Alvarez
Cotto/Kirkland
Cotto/Khan
Cotto/Mayweather
Flash88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:03 AM   #257
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcanzIIravor
What would you call the substance? You think that is something naturally occurring in wraps throughout boxing?
Did they ever settle what is actually was? Plaster-of-Paris isn't some mystery substance that's difficult to identify. As far as I'm aware, it was just old gauze. People acting like he dipped his hands in cement.

And let's not forget that Sugar-Roid Mosley was juicing for however many ****ing years.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:03 AM   #258
Tarik One
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
I agree with you on this part. HBO's boxing broadcasts have become nothing more than cheerleading for their chosen guy. They are the most unprofessional commentators I have ever seen in any sport on any level... Not so much for Max Kellerman, but -- most notably Lampley and Lederman? Forget about it... Horrible homers.

Especially during Oscar DLH's heyday. There were some obvious close fights he had battled through, by those stooges would try to lead you to believe he was dominating. This happened a lot
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:03 AM   #259
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positive
sight?
The left one's still good.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:04 AM   #260
ClutchOver9000
#Knickstape

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAWN
Aside from that eye margarito seemed untouched. Bummer that it shut on him in the third round, would of been nice to see a full fight.

Dude may need to retire if that's going to keep happening from here on out.

I find it quite odd that Cotto's face swells so goddamn easily.

Dude severely outpunched Margo, had a very high workrate, nailed most of his powershots, while Margo was basically chasing him the whole time and still....Cotto's face was as bruised up as a bad banana compared to Margo who had a pretty fresh face aside from the shut eye....

But yea, Margo is finished.
ClutchOver9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:04 AM   #261
iamgine

Is it me or was Margarito so damn slow? He move slow, he punch slow, how the heck did he become this high profile boxer? Or did he not used to be that slow in the past?
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:06 AM   #262
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Not sure how anything Cotto did tonight or in the first fight showed a lack of heart. My post was basically intended to be a prompt to explain your position.

Cotto's face was bludgeoned -- probably illegally -- to a bloody pulp in the first fight. He was disfigured and it has turned into a bloodbath. There was nothing cowardly about his taking a knee in that instance.

Tonight? He applied a strategy of sticking and moving and it worked. It is too bad about Margs eye, but I'm not sure how you can blame that on Cotto.

So, again...
You can't blame Marg's eye on Cotto. Pacquiao won this fight for him.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:07 AM   #263
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchOver9000
I find it quite odd that Cotto's face swells so goddamn easily.

Dude severely outpunched Margo, had a very high workrate, nailed most of his powershots, while Margo was basically chasing him the whole time and still....Cotto's face was as bruised up as a bad banana compared to Margo who had a pretty fresh face aside from the shut eye....

But yea, Margo is finished.
Margarito was landing plenty of punches. Just because Lampley doesn't come in his pants like he does when Cotto lands a jab, doesn't mean Margarito isn't doing damage. One or two more rounds and that's a markedly different fight.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:09 AM   #264
ClutchOver9000
#Knickstape

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgine
Is it me or was Margarito so damn slow? He move slow, he punch slow, how the heck did he become this high profile boxer? Or did he not used to be that slow in the past?

he was always slow. He is a high motor, pressure fighter. Thats his style...

He's not gonna beat you on flashiness, technique, or ring savvy, just by coming forward nonstop for all 12 rounds, never going backwards, and wearing his opponents out w/ pressure + hammering uppercuts + excellent stamina

Well I think its safe to say his hammering shots were due to loaded gloves...but still, his style has proven to be a very difficult one to deal w/...especially when you factor in his height and reach advantage on most of his opponents.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:09 AM   #265
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgine
He always like that. It's the inexorability that stands out. He never stops moving forward (unless Manny Pacqiuao's punching him in the head).
Old 12-04-2011, 01:10 AM   #266
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchOver9000
Kellerman is the best out there, I'm sooo tired of Lederman, Lampley, and Steward. Especially Merchant....

Clean out the old geezers, keep Kellerman, bring in a couple new faces and HBO's commentating would finally evolve for the better

As for Cotto, good win I guess, still a great fighter though

Margo is finished not because of skill, but because of that eye...courtesy of Pacman
The fight would not have been stopped under normal circumstances. So much attention and publicity was brought to that eye that it became the storyline for the doctors. Of course, the eye was a mess, but fights are almost never stopped in that kind of instance...

Where a guy is still chasing and landing punches and staying in the fight while the other guy is retreating and jumping in and out of trouble...

In a weird way, I felt that Margarito was still in the fight, even down to the moment when it was stopped.

I feel like, it is his eye. He wasn't punch drunk. He knew what he was doing. He was basically willing to sacrifice his eye in an effort to wear down Cotto and, while he was way behind, Cotto was wearing down. It was just a question of whether or not he would wear down far enough and fast enough for it to be trouble before the final bell.

All of that considered, I don't know how you can tell a guy that he can't continue to fight. His bearings were completely there. He knew exactly what he was doing.

There was just too much attention paid to that eye in the pre-fight for the doctors not to be seriously over-cautious. I would have liked to have seen the fight continue.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:11 AM   #267
ClutchOver9000
#Knickstape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoooter
Margarito was landing plenty of punches. Just because Lampley doesn't come in his pants like he does when Cotto lands a jab, doesn't mean Margarito isn't doing damage. One or two more rounds and that's a markedly different fight.

yea I know he landed a lot of punches, but it paled to Cotto's workrate...

Cotto was much more effective considering he did what he had to do, target Margo's already messed up eye, and outscore him but its quite obvious Margo did more damage overall....and the fight was turning in his favor.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:12 AM   #268
IcanzIIravor
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Did they ever settle what is actually was? Plaster-of-Paris isn't some mystery substance that's difficult to identify. As far as I'm aware, it was just old gauze. People acting like he dipped his hands in cement.

And let's not forget that Sugar-Roid Mosley was juicing for however many ****ing years.

I don't think you see me or anyone else defending Mosley.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/9...-is-admittance

After the fight the illegal substance was found to be wraps dipped in sulfur and calcium, which when combined with water/sweat, forms the "plaster of Paris."
IcanzIIravor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:12 AM   #269
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
You can't blame Marg's eye on Cotto. Pacquiao won this fight for him.
Well, I disagree with that. Sure, the previous injury played a large role, but that is part of the game. The onus is on the fighters to target it and exploit it... And the onus is also on Margarito to take extra measures to protect that eye.

Cotto beat him tonight. Flat-out.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:13 AM   #270
ClutchOver9000
#Knickstape

Quote:
The fight would not have been stopped under normal circumstances. So much attention and publicity was brought to that eye that it became the storyline for the doctors. Of course, the eye was a mess, but fights are almost never stopped in that kind of instance...

Where a guy is still chasing and landing punches and staying in the fight while the other guy is retreating and jumping in and out of trouble...

In a weird way, I felt that Margarito was still in the fight, even down to the moment when it was stopped.

I feel like, it is his eye. He wasn't punch drunk. He knew what he was doing. He was basically willing to sacrifice his eye in an effort to wear down Cotto and, while he was way behind, Cotto was wearing down. It was just a question of whether or not he would wear down far enough and fast enough for it to be trouble before the final bell.

All of that considered, I don't know how you can tell a guy that he can't continue to fight. His bearings were completely there. He knew exactly what he was doing.

There was just too much attention paid to that eye in the pre-fight for the doctors not to be seriously over-cautious. I would have liked to have seen the fight continue.

exactly...

I think Margo still wouldve won...Cotto was gassing hard and his face was messed up big-time

Cotto just doesn't deal well w/ Margo's style.

Same problem Pac has against JMM
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: