Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2014, 04:27 AM   #2941
Lebron23
2nd Greatest Player
 
Lebron23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Land of 6 NBA titles
Posts: 54,095
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

I scored it 8-4 in favor of Manny Pacquiao.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:07 AM   #2942
magic chiongson
I post-up midgets
 
magic chiongson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: South
Posts: 4,252
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

pacquiao is unfairly scored, people are used to him dominating his opponents that whenever a round is close we tend to think he lost it
magic chiongson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:07 AM   #2943
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan
 
SCREWstonRockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Clutch City 2K9
Posts: 4,026
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

No way Bradley won 8-4. I don't even Tim believes deep down inside that he won by that margin. On 24/7 he said it was a close fight. To me, 8-4 is not a close fight. If he truly thought he won 8-4, he should have been more sure that he won after the fight instead of saying "I have to watch it again to see if I truly won the fight". I don't think you second guess winning 8 rounds. 8-4 for Tim is as bad as saying Manny shut him out.

Second time I watched, I scored it 8-4 Manny and I was trying to give Bradley rounds. All this biased commentary is overblown. The 16k crowd at the fight didn't like the scoring and they don't hear commentary. The majority of the boxing reporters thought Manny clearly won the fight. Many probably watched it in bars or at parties where commentary is barely audible. You can pretty much say in every fight, there is sort of bias going on in the commentary whether it's hbo or showtime. What about the bias of people re-watching the fight and looking to give Bradley rounds?

It was a big uproar because it was involved on the biggest stage with the second most popular fighter. Nobody would care if this was some HBO fight with fighters that causal fans don't care for.
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:32 PM   #2944
Tarik One
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,501
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
Bradley is not stopping Pacquiao. He isn't going to beat you like that. He is a great tactician, and works just about harder than anyone, but he doesn't have that power.

I'd love to see Bradley against Mayweather. He is one of the few guys that I think could give Floyd some problems, just on his swarming and relentless style.

I believe Tim learned a valuable lesson from the Provodnikov and Pac fights.

Bradley's ability to keep the jab in JMM's face, fight at his pace and distance while controlling most of the exchanges and his hand speed became icing on the cake. Bradley did not get over aggressive, make mistakes and leave himself in awkward/unbalanced positions, inside of JMM's wheel house. Although it was not near brillant, Bradley did exactly what you need to do as a fighter, to beat a brillant counter puncher/boxer like JMM. He used his speed (hands and footwork) to his advantage. Things he clearly did not do against Provodnikov and Pacquaio (although he did show more against Pac, but not enough).

I believe the combination of Bradley fighting an intelligent fight (as he did against JMM) along with the Pac's diminishing speed will make the difference.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:33 PM   #2945
kNicKz
College superstar
 
kNicKz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,886
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
I scored it 6-6 while watching in a pub, being slightly distracted and hearing the annoying HBO crew with their Manny bias.
I scored it 7-5 to Bradley on a second viewing.
wtf? Manny clearly won that shit
kNicKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:34 PM   #2946
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 30,145
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREWstonRockets
No way Bradley won 8-4. I don't even Tim believes deep down inside that he won by that margin. On 24/7 he said it was a close fight. To me, 8-4 is not a close fight. If he truly thought he won 8-4, he should have been more sure that he won after the fight instead of saying "I have to watch it again to see if I truly won the fight". I don't think you second guess winning 8 rounds. 8-4 for Tim is as bad as saying Manny shut him out.

Second time I watched, I scored it 8-4 Manny and I was trying to give Bradley rounds. All this biased commentary is overblown. The 16k crowd at the fight didn't like the scoring and they don't hear commentary. The majority of the boxing reporters thought Manny clearly won the fight. Many probably watched it in bars or at parties where commentary is barely audible. You can pretty much say in every fight, there is sort of bias going on in the commentary whether it's hbo or showtime. What about the bias of people re-watching the fight and looking to give Bradley rounds?

It was a big uproar because it was involved on the biggest stage with the second most popular fighter. Nobody would care if this was some HBO fight with fighters that causal fans don't care for.

This was the worst I have ever seen and I remember thinking that way when I was watching it live. As a matter of fact, if you dig up the original thread from the fight, I think I commented on how bad they were immediately after the fight, long before someone on YT took the time to make a video, clearly showing just how intensely biased they were.

You're right, it's not the first time and won't be the last time a popular fighter gets biased commentary and that's not limited to just Pacquiao, although I do believe Jim Lampley should be banished from calling Pacquiao fights. His man-crush is too severe. I don't even think he's intentionally biased, he just can only see a Pacquiao fight one way. Remember his infamous "Bang! Bang! Bang!" moment?

The guy has become an embarrassment.

I actually think Showtime's crew is generally pretty good about not giving in to personalities or hype and just calling a fight. But, I will say that the British broadcasts of Mayweather fights tend to be heavily biased toward Floyd. They love him over there.

Still, this was on the extreme end of the spectrum. They seemed to universally decide that Bradley was probably going to get shutout... about three rounds into the fight. It was a self-fulfilling prophecy, when in fact that fight wasn't close to being a shutout. Virtually every round was competitive and difficult to score, especially in the second half of the fight.

You had it 8-4 for Pacquiao... I can see that. I had it 7-5. Plowking had it 6-6.

To me, it was that kind of a fight to where you could get a wide range of scoring... unless you have it 11-1 or 10-2 like the HBO crew. I don't see how that's possible.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:59 PM   #2947
Tarik One
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,501
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

I watched the Mayweather/Cotto fight live via British online stream. It was far from Floyd's best work, but the commentators were acting as if he was flawless. Even Floyd gave himself a D grade afterwards.

Tito is going broke:

Ring legend Felix “Tito” Trinidad, who made some $86 million during his career, is reportedly in financial ruin. According to reports out of Puerto Rico, a longtime financial advisor put Tito’s money into some risky investments without his consent, losing $63 million. On Thursday, Tito and Papa Trinidad petitioned the court today for relief from creditors. Trinidad reportedly still has $9 million remaining, but has debts totaling more than three times that amount.

Last edited by Tarik One : 04-10-2014 at 11:31 PM.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:24 PM   #2948
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner
 
DonDadda59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Killing Fields
Posts: 19,632
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik One
I watched the Mayweather/Cotto fight live via British online stream. It was far from Floyd's best work, but the commentators were acting as if he was flawless. Even Floyd gave himself a D grade afterwards.

Because it was the best fighter he faced since Castillo.

Both Pac and Bradley weighed in at 145. Both guys looked shredded and ready to go:

DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:13 AM   #2949
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian
 
L.Kizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Houston, TX -
Posts: 39,376
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

April 12
HBO PPV
PACQUIAO VS. BRADLEY II






Tim Bradley vs. Manny Pacquiao [#1 WBO] II for Bradley’s WBO Welterweight Championship
Raymundo Beltran [#2 WBO] vs. Arash Usmanee [Rocky Martinez replacement] for the vacant NABO Lightweight Championship [WBO Lightweight Eliminator]
Khabib Allakhverdiev vs. Jesse Vargas [#11 WBA] for Allakhverdiev’s WBA “Regular” and IBO Junior Welterweight Championships
Bryan Vasquez [#1 WBA] vs. Jose Felix for Vasquez’ WBA Interim Jr. Lightweight Championship
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:58 AM   #2950
Angel Face
Caped Baldy
 
Angel Face's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,745
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Great year for boxing, can't wait for Pacquiao vs Bradley 2, next month will be Mayweather vs Maidana, who knows maybe if Pac and May both win, they could sched a fight in November. Awesome!
Angel Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:49 AM   #2951
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner
 
DonDadda59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Killing Fields
Posts: 19,632
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Face
Great year for boxing, can't wait for Pacquiao vs Bradley 2, next month will be Mayweather vs Maidana, who knows maybe if Pac and May both win, they could sched a fight in November. Awesome!

If Pac wins and Marquez both win their next fight (Marquez is fighting Alvarado), then they fight in September/October. Floyd already has Khan penciled in for November, assuming he wins his next tune up, which isn't a guarantee with Amir these days.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:45 AM   #2952
the mesiah
I'M GOD GIFTED!
 
the mesiah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 703
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
If Pac wins and Marquez both win their next fight (Marquez is fighting Alvarado), then they fight in September/October. Floyd already has Khan penciled in for November, assuming he wins his next tune up, which isn't a guarantee with Amir these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Face
Great year for boxing, can't wait for Pacquiao vs Bradley 2, next month will be Mayweather vs Maidana, who knows maybe if Pac and May both win, they could sched a fight in November . Awesome!
Floyd doesn't fight in November. He will milk the Cinco De Mayo/Mexican Independence Day weekend dates til the end of his contract at least.
the mesiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:33 AM   #2953
Tarik One
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,501
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Because it was the best fighter he faced since Castillo. .

As much of a fan I am of Floyd, I hate the fact that he wasn't able to fight prime Welterweights/Junior Middleweights such as De La Hoya, Mosley, Winky Wright, or even Vernon Forrest, because Floyd was in lighter divisions (he can't control what era he is in, obviously) while they were at their relative peaks.

All four of these guys would have given Floyd problems.

Last edited by Tarik One : 04-12-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:02 AM   #2954
BrooklynZoo
The Brooklyn Brawler.
 
BrooklynZoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,398
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik One
As much of a fan I am of Floyd, I hate the fact that he wasn't able to fight prime Welterweights/Junior Middleweights such as De La Hoya, Mosley, Winky Wright, or even Vernon Forrest, because Floyd was in lighter divisions (he can't control what era he is in, obviously) while they were at their relative peaks.

All four of these guys would have given Floyd problems.


with his history, are you sure he would have taken the fights? he had a prime welter to face for years and passed
BrooklynZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:09 AM   #2955
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian
 
L.Kizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Houston, TX -
Posts: 39,376
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Showtime might be taking another of HBO's fighters.

Ruslan Provodnikav's next fight will take place at Barclays center instead of the Nassau Coliseum. Why does this matter, well Golden Boy has exclusive rights to the Barclays. GB let the fight happen at Barclays, probably working out a deal with Banner Promotions (who promotes Ruslan and 154 champ Demetrius Andrade who is on the undercard.) Top Rank has a co-promotion deal with Ruslan for I believe 3 fights (upcoming fight is his 3rd.)
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:47 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy