Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-03-2014, 12:23 AM   #3121
Vragrant
National High School Star

Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
As overrated as GGG may or may not be, he isn't close to JCC Jr., who most people would have never heard of based on his boxing ability if his dad weren't a legend. JCC just won a super competitive UD against a guy who has been a punching bag for much of his career.

GGG would absolutely savage JCC.

GGG can most certainly win. Savage Chavez Jr? I doubt it. Chavez Jr has a very good chin and is a bigger guy than GGG. Although Vera is a punching bag, Chavez Jr has fought Martinez, and GGG has not even fought even close to the level of competition as that.

GGG's jab and straight punches will score. However, there is a strong chance Chavez Jr. might even back GGG up and force him to fight off the backfoot. Also you have to remember GGG cuts quite easily as well. Vera has an inhuman chin, can GGG take those shots? How will be react to Chavez's body attack? Theres' a lot of questions that need to be answered. Its going to be a very competitive fight, and I really hope it comes off.

Last edited by Vragrant : 03-03-2014 at 12:25 AM.
Vragrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:33 AM   #3122
WWRWestbrookDo?
GOATbrook Activated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vragrant
I think a focused Chavez Jr can take him. To be honest I think GGG is starting to get a little overrated. He's very hittable and is a plodder. I don't think that bodes well going up against a guy who is much bigger and stronger than him with an iron chin. GGG hasn't even fought the type of competition Jr has, and I'm not even a big Chavez Jr fan.

The fight is intriguing if GGG has to move up. Chavez is able to take a lot of punishment so it should make a good/great fight.

I actually like GGG against Chavez and do not think he is overrated at all. He has a substantial amateur background.
WWRWestbrookDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:39 AM   #3123
WWRWestbrookDo?
GOATbrook Activated

Underdog special...I'm taking Angulo at +650 over Canelo.

I have a strong belief that Canelo has stamina issues and that is why he fights in spurts. He throws with so much explosion that is just saps his stamina.

Canelo was walked down by Trout at times and he's not even a big puncher or pressure fighter.
WWRWestbrookDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:49 AM   #3124
magic chiongson
I post-up midgets

hats off to jcc jr if he indeed fight ggg. he's arguably the bigger draw and he is fighting opponents who are better than him and the top at his class. if he goes through with this he'll end up fighting the top 2 fighters in his division. not a lot of fighters have been doing that lately.

he's prolly gonna get killed though, he's tailor-made for ggg
magic chiongson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:57 PM   #3125
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Wow, apparently Lomachenko is about to get another title shot in the summer? 2nd title shot in his 3rd fight for the vacant WBO title, the one he lost this past weekend.

I think Schafer may have something to say about that. Gary Russell Jr. is ranked #1 by the WBO, Loma was #5 and might go down a slot or so with his lose. We'll see ...

Also, looks **** Amir Khan vs Adrien Broner on Floyd's undercard. Khan has been talking shit to Floyd and AB on twitter.

And Shawn Porter vs. Paulie M in April.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:40 AM   #3126
Reef
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
Wow, apparently Lomachenko is about to get another title shot in the summer? 2nd title shot in his 3rd fight for the vacant WBO title, the one he lost this past weekend.

I think Schafer may have something to say about that. Gary Russell Jr. is ranked #1 by the WBO, Loma was #5 and might go down a slot or so with his lose. We'll see ...

Also, looks **** Amir Khan vs Adrien Broner on Floyd's undercard. Khan has been talking shit to Floyd and AB on twitter.

And Shawn Porter vs. Paulie M in April.

Gary Russel Jr. doesn't deserve a title shot either. He's so talented but fights cab drivers every time.
Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:00 AM   #3127
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef
Gary Russel Jr. doesn't deserve a title shot either. He's so talented but fights cab drivers every time.
But at least he's ranked #1 with 20+ fights.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:49 AM   #3128
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

The idea that Lomachenko would get another title shot, making it two in his first three fights, is a slap in the face to every other boxer in the sport. If I were him, I wouldn't even want it. What's the big hurry that this needs to happen so soon?

Wait your turn like everyone else.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:03 PM   #3129
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

I'll agree that he doesnt "deserve" a title shot, but what happened to all that talk about titles dont mean shit anymore? There are literally multiple titles in each weight class (not counting the regional titles), hell they even make up titles just for a certain fight just to make it seem bigger.

I mean i guess it looks good on paper and would make casual fans see it as more important than it really is but I dont think its that big of a deal. Even Salido seemed okay with it when Hack Kellerman asked him if he felt insulted. If the title meant so much, he would have made weight. Same goes to ever fighter that lost his title because he didnt make weight.

Im not a fan of loma or most amateur pros but I like the fact he wants tougher fights. How many times do people bitch about boxers for fighting bums for 20 fights (like gary russel)? Hell a guy like Chavez fought 40+ bums and people still said he doesnt deserve what hes getting. Boxing fans can be so hypocritical at times.

If you feel like you can hang, why waste your time fighting tomato cans? You can say he doesnt deserve a title shot but I think its pretty cool to go straight into the fire like that. He'll find out sooner than later if he made the right decision.

Quote:

Schafer is his promoter, if he wanted Gary to get a title shot, he could easily set it up like Arum did. But they rather have him fight To Be Announced for the time being.
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:44 PM   #3130
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREWstonRockets
I'll agree that he doesnt "deserve" a title shot, but what happened to all that talk about titles dont mean shit anymore? There are literally multiple titles in each weight class (not counting the regional titles), hell they even make up titles just for a certain fight just to make it seem bigger.

I mean i guess it looks good on paper and would make casual fans see it as more important than it really is but I dont think its that big of a deal. Even Salido seemed okay with it when Hack Kellerman asked him if he felt insulted. If the title meant so much, he would have made weight. Same goes to ever fighter that lost his title because he didnt make weight.

Im not a fan of loma or most amateur pros but I like the fact he wants tougher fights. How many times do people bitch about boxers for fighting bums for 20 fights (like gary russel)? Hell a guy like Chavez fought 40+ bums and people still said he doesnt deserve what hes getting. Boxing fans can be so hypocritical at times.

If you feel like you can hang, why waste your time fighting tomato cans? You can say he doesnt deserve a title shot but I think its pretty cool to go straight into the fire like that. He'll find out sooner than later if he made the right decision.

Schafer is his promoter, if he wanted Gary to get a title shot, he could easily set it up like Arum did. But they rather have him fight To Be Announced for the time being.
Since the title just became vacant, that can all happen now, it couldn't before hand because the champ was a Top Rank performer.

The WBO can now order Russell Jr. to fight someone for the vacant title since he's ranked #1.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:03 PM   #3131
Lebron23
3rd Greatest Player

Salido exposed Lomachenko in his 2nd fight. Proffessional boxing is different from amateur boxing.

And Loma doesn't deserve another title shot. There are plenty of deserving boxers who need to be given the opportunity for the Belt. Loma needs to earn his title shot.

I rather see him improve his record. He's not in the same level as current Guillermo Rigondeaux.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:02 PM   #3132
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

The Canelo-Angulo PPV this weekend is getting smaller and smaller. First the Figuroa-Alvaraz match is off due to injury to Omar Figuroa and now Carlos Molina gets arrested and his match with Jermall Charlo is up in wings.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:46 PM   #3133
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Quote:
The Canelo-Angulo PPV this weekend is getting smaller and smaller. First the Figuroa-Alvaraz match is off due to injury to Omar Figuroa and now Carlos Molina gets arrested and his match with Jermall Charlo is up in wings.

Should've been on regular Showtime anyway.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:01 AM   #3134
Tarik One
NBA sixth man of the year

According to the L.A. Times they are targeting July 12 as the date for the JCC/GGG matchup

I'm sure it would be a fun fight, don't see how Jr wins it or anything. There is some sparring footage of the two of them, not sure how old it is. Even there GGG is pretty well having his way, and it probably flatters Chavez a good deal.

I'd rather see GGG hold out at 160 for one of the other champs and then wait for a chance to fight someone who isn't mediocre if he wants to move up, but you can't blame him for taking this payday.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:30 AM   #3135
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

chavez is a good step up in competition for GGG. Best fighter he has faced. Would like to see how he handles Chavez aggressive style and body punches. Can GGG hurt Chavez? Dude has an iron chin

But we all know this fight wont happen. Top Rank only does in-house fights!!
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: