Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #781
Reef
College star

Reef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic chiongson
donaire hasnt fought morel. when has rigo look impressive against a top 5 guy in his division? i'm not even gonna argue with you if you're going the losses route. i'd trust the ring's ratings over some guy's opinion.

not as much as rigo did. at least bradley was throwing some punches.

I meant Montiel. Lots of boxing fans have the same opinion. I've seen plenty of Donaire's and Rigo's fights. Rigo is one of the most ducked fighters. He's a high-risk, low reward guy, since many mainstream fans have never heard of him.
Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #782
DonD13
glew up ☆

DonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

since nobody mentioned him: How cool is Matthysse??

Dude's a beast!

now that would be a fight Broner. But he will not take it...
DonD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #783
Reef
College star

Reef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonD13
since nobody mentioned him: How cool is Matthysse??

Dude's a beast!

now that would be a fight Broner. But he will not take it...

He hits like a sledgehammer and has an iron chin, and doesn't seem to tire. Deadly combination.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #784
magic chiongson
I post-up midgets

magic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

what happened to the rumored matthysse - maidana fight?
magic chiongson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:00 PM   #785
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Tarik One is considered somewhat coolTarik One is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
I've been touting Ward for a long, long time. It is about time that he starts getting his due.

There has never been a gold medal winning American Olympian who is an undefeated champion as a pro that really hasn't had a close fight and has beaten a lot of stiff competition quite easily with less hype in my lifetime. Usually, guys like Ward are the sport's golden boys.

I think a lot of the reason why is because he fought on Showtime for so long and they do a horrible job of promoting their boxing events and the fact that the Super Six tournament lasted so long and all of the guys involved literally couldn't set up their own fights against big-name guys.

Whatever the reason, his talent is clear.

Here is a guy who isn't the fastest or hardest puncher, doesn't have any single physical gift that pops out at you, but he just knows how to win. He is one of the great ring generals in the game, his defense is very good and his in-fight adjustments are second only to Floyd Mayweather Jr.

It took him about three rounds to figure out Chad Dawson -- a very good fighter in his own right. He was setting up the punch that put Dawson down the first time right from the opening bell. And, once he had Dawson hurt, he didn't lose his cool and go all-out for the kill. He maintained himself, continued fighting his fight and eventually got the stoppage.

I'm a big fan and I thought Ward would win, but I thought it would be a pretty close fight and Dawson would have his moments. But, that was utter domination and it was a statement to the boxing world. I agree with you, Don, he is the No. 2 p4p fighter in the world right now and knocking on the door of being No. 1.

Only Floyd and Manny can argue being above him. He's that next really great fighter that will be winning for a long time. He just has a style that isn't going to go away anytime soon.

Love watching that guy fight.

Ward is a lot like Hopkins (older version)

The thing is, Hopkins style when he was older is more similar to what Ward does now in his youth. He has an old school kind of style that Hopkins relied on when he was 40 that Ward relies on now with an added jab, it's actually very very smart. Because it works for Hopkins who is 40 to reserve energy and wear out younger guys, Ward IS a younger guy and using it can only benefit him even more, so I had a feeling Dawson would be in a world of hurt especially given Ward hit's harder than people give him credit and Dawson always has a tendency to leave himself open even when in complete control, once Ward found those openings Chad had no escape. Those cracks in his armor that have been apparent since his career began were fully exploited tonight by Ward.

Hopkins saw the same thing in Dawson just didn't have the tank to take care of it(though I do feel that it would have happened on the night when Hopkins and Dawson FIRST fought when Hopkins winded him with that body punch) but by the second fight, that time out of the gym and rehab obviously effected Hopkins effectiveness. So I knew it wasn't meant to be there. But when Dawson said "I wanna fight Andre Ward" I knew that was it
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #786
lefthook00
College star

lefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
Chad is still champ. He hasn't ruined his career. Let's see how he comes back rom this in his next fight bck at 175.

Yeah he's still light heavy champ, but I can easily see him coming in out of shape and "off" in his next championship fight and getting embarrassed and losing, and not returning to championship status and retiring a while after...or maybe not, we'll see.

Here is Nazeem Richardson saying some interesting stuff about Ward, especially about his punching power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLx-dPihFpA
lefthook00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:05 AM   #787
jaydacris
Rose

jaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

looks like its likely gonna be pacquiao/JMM IV for December 8

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/boxing-...the-works.html

Quote:
Promoter Bob Arum is trying to work out contracts to pit Manny Pacquiao against Juan Manuel Marquez on Dec. 8 in Las Vegas, leaving the man who defeated the Filipino congressman in June out in the cold.

Pacquiao lost a highly controversial decision to Timothy Bradley on June 9 in a bout that most felt Pacquiao won handily. Pacquiao initially said he would exercise the rematch clause, but ultimately opted instead to go for a fourth fight against Marquez.

"We are hopeful we can work out deals with both guys and come to terms for a fight on Dec. 8," Arum told Yahoo! Sports on Monday, but insisted contract terms hadn't been reached. "If they had been, I would tell you."
Earlier Monday, Arum said no decision had been made and said that Pacquiao was planning to fly to the U.S. on Thursday to meet with him to discuss his plans.
But they opted to focus on making a deal with Marquez later in the day.

Pacquiao and Marquez have a rich history, having fought in 2004, 2008 and 2011. They fought to a memorable draw at the MGM Grand in 2004, a bout in which Pacquiao knocked Marquez down three times in the first round.

In 2008, Pacquiao won a split decision over Marquez, then took a majority decision over Marquez in 2011 at the MGM in a bout that many felt Marquez deserved to win.
After that fight, Marquez said he wouldn't fight again in Las Vegas. Arum, though, said the venue has not been an issue in talks.
"He's never brought it up, not once," Arum said. "It's no issue, as far as I'm concerned."

The reason that Arum and Pacquiao decided to try to finalize a deal with Marquez rather than Bradley is unclear, but it likely has to do with pay-per-view sales.
Pacquiao-Marquez III did just under 1.3 million sales, while Pacquiao-Bradley did slightly over 900,000.
I
n addition, after the outrage over the decision of judges Duane Ford and C.J. Ross, who had it 115-113, or seven rounds to five, for Bradley, many fans said they wouldn't buy a rematch. They took to social media in massive numbers to express their outrage.

Arum didn't say what influenced the decision toward Marquez and away from Bradley. Pacquiao manager Michael Koncz denied that Marquez had been chosen, but declined to speak further on the matter.
"We're still looking at both guys and we haven't decided to go with Marquez," Koncz said. "We just have been talking about both guys and today we happened to discuss a purse for Marquez. But I don't want to get into it and start to negotiate or divulge what we're thinking in the media.
"Once we have a deal and have signed contracts, I'll be happy to answer those questions."
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:15 AM   #788
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydacris

L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:16 AM   #789
magic chiongson
I post-up midgets

magic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydacris

meh
magic chiongson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:16 AM   #790
Reef
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle

For real. He should beat Bradley's ass instead.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:05 AM   #791
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here

Anyone know where I can watch the Ward/Dawson fight online? Don't have any of the premium channels to catch the re-runs when they start showing.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:09 AM   #792
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
Anyone know where I can watch the Ward/Dawson fight online? Don't have any of the premium channels to catch the re-runs when they start showing.
Eastside boxing can probably swing you in the right direction.
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #793
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

SCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected poster

Much rather see Pac-Marquez than Bradley get another pay day. Really though, it should be Mayweather or retire. But all three of their previous fights with PAC/JMM have been entertaining so I don't mind it. I have it 1-1-1 so maybe this is the tie breaker....
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #794
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Tarik One is considered somewhat coolTarik One is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan1357

FYI, a lot of big fights are posted on youtube within hours of the event (in sections). You have to catch them b4 they are taken down. Something to keep in mind.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #795
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'm fine with a 4th JMM fight, because -- one of these times -- maybe JMM will get a fair shake. He is maybe the only fighter in the history of boxing whose record stands at 0-2-1 against another guy and he absolutely deserves another shot.

Hell, I thought that Pacquiao should have fought JMM immediately after the last time.

If there is no Pac-Floyd, Pac-JMM is the fight I want to see... Again.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: