Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-04-2011, 01:34 PM   #121
DonD13
glew up ☆

Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bsF1...&feature=feedu

floyd and 50 on the money-phone
and addressing this 24/7 episode 1 incident with his father
looks like their phones are tapped
DonD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:08 PM   #122
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonD13
oh damn. had little $ on Zaveck for the upset by late round knockout.

but as Zaveck was saying over and over: FUCK

his eye looked nasty tho

fight was entertaining

Berto was starting to gas as usual, Zavec was getting to him and landing some big shots that were staggering him, but his eye did him in. They should've given him 1 more round IMO, but they were doing their job and keeping the fighter safe. Should be an immediate rematch.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:17 PM   #123
DonD13
glew up ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
Berto was starting to gas as usual, Zavec was getting to him and landing some big shots that were staggering him, but his eye did him in. They should've given him 1 more round IMO, but they were doing their job and keeping the fighter safe. Should be an immediate rematch.

agree 100%.
and to be honest, I'd bet on Zavec again. Odds are crazy and Zavec has great stamina and always gets better the longer the fight goes. His knockout ratio is not high trough his career but he had some nice ones lately. And Berto's D has a lot of holes.
That beeing said, Berto's has the W, well deserved. If I remember correctly he said after the fight he wants Ortiz. I guess they will make that after Ortiz lost to Mayweather. Fans loved Ortiz-Berto the first one and even more would watch a rematch.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:40 PM   #124
DonD13
glew up ☆

Bernard Hopkins "teaches" Rashad Evans how to throw a right hand.....

The Executioner explains some basics, kind of cool
Old 09-04-2011, 05:13 PM   #125
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Yes, I was angry that the fight was stopped, because it was very entertiaining through the first half and, like DonD and DonDadda (what is going on with your guys' usernames being so similar?) noted, I felt that Zavec was going to come on late.

He wasn't even being outclassed early in the fight when he was CLEARLY conserving and Berto was going all-out.

But, it was all for not.

I liked what I saw out of Gary Russell. His small frame may keep him from ever becoming a really huge star in the sport, but god damn... He's got some fast hands.

I already knew that, though. I was impressed by how far his skill level has come since the last time I saw him fight (against Meza a few months ago).

He may be one of my future 'favorites.'

Yes, people... The best fighter of the night -- far and away -- was in the undercard, not the main event.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:50 PM   #126
Flash88
Kids at the park dunk on me

Russell gets KTFO by Gamboa if they do fight each other down the road. I believe Garcia beats him as well if they ever meet.

Russell's lack of power will be his downfall against the featherweight elite. If he merely possessed below-average power, then he would be able to compete against the division's best. But the guy has zero power. None. There is no way he should only have 10 KOs against the 18 opponents he's fought considering the quality of opposition. He was landing some flush shots against Miranda (suspect chin) and still wasn't close to stopping him at any point in the fight.

Russell won't be able to keep any of the elite featherweights honest. And unlike guys like Malignaggi or Calderon, it doesn't appear that Russell has the lateral movement to compensate for his lack of punching power. In fact, it seems like he has developed a preference for trading punches in the middle of the ring.

Reminds me of Meldrick Taylor. Might win a title or two, but he'll end up crumbling against the top guys of the division.

Last edited by Flash88 : 09-04-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Flash88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:22 AM   #127
Reef
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash88
Russell gets KTFO by Gamboa if they do fight each other down the road. I believe Garcia beats him as well if they ever meet.

Russell's lack of power will be his downfall against the featherweight elite. If he merely possessed below-average power, then he would be able to compete against the division's best. But the guy has zero power. None. There is no way he should only have 10 KOs against the 18 opponents he's fought considering the quality of opposition. He was landing some flush shots against Miranda (suspect chin) and still wasn't close to stopping him at any point in the fight.

Russell won't be able to keep any of the elite featherweights honest. And unlike guys like Malignaggi or Calderon, it doesn't appear that Russell has the lateral movement to compensate for his lack of punching power. In fact, it seems like he has developed a preference for trading punches in the middle of the ring.

Reminds me of Meldrick Taylor. Might win a title or two, but he'll end up crumbling against the top guys of the division.

Agreed. Russell's talented as hell but he doesn't have the pop to keep the elite guys off him in my opinion. Plus he doesn't have much head movement. He got hit a lot last night by a soft-punching slow guy. Of course he's got time to improve his defense still though.

Berto didn't impress me at all. He doesn't look like he's made any improvement or changes since the Ortiz fight. He was getting hit a lot towards the end of the fight. He's too reckless. If Zaveck didn't get cut, I think he would've stopped Berto late.
Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:22 AM   #128
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash88

Saying a guy looks like the next Meldrick Taylor is pretty high praise. Taylor was actually a really good, bordering on great fighter before his career was essentially ended against JCC.

Taylor was unbeaten when he thoroughly out-boxed and out-classed JCC, who was still a great, great fighter at the time. Had Taylor simply stayed away and boxed for the final few rounds, he wins in a landslide. His Philadelphia roots came back to haunt him and his decision to brawl with JCC in those final few rounds had devastating effects, both in the outcome of the fight and the outcome of his career.

I disagree, btw... I don't think that Russell is as talented as Taylor was. Russell shows promise and I love the handspeed, but Taylor didn't have many weaknesses, whereas Russell's punching power and footwork are not anything to write home about.

I like Gamboa, but he had at least as many shortcomings as Russell when they were at the same stage of their respective careers, if not more. Gamboa is still prone to get wild and leave his defense in the corner. His chin is also a bit of a mystery. If you lack defense and have a questionable chin, that can be a pretty deadly combination.

Russell isn't as naturally talented as Gamboa, but he is already much more technically sound. I would definitely favor Gamboa big if the fight were to happen now or in the near future, but Russell is still a complete work in progress.

The reason he doesn't hit hard, commit to his punches and throws a lot of slaps is because he has had serious issues with his hands... The same problem, btw, that Floyd Mayweather Jr. had early in his career.

If Russell finds a way to deal with the brittle hands, I think you will see his power increase dramatically.

I'm looking for potential and Russell has plenty of it. That kind of handspeed doesn't come along every day.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 09-05-2011 at 03:26 AM.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:31 AM   #129
Reef
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Saying a guy looks like the next Meldrick Taylor is pretty high praise. Taylor was actually a really good, bordering on great fighter before his career was essentially ended against JCC.

Taylor was unbeaten when he thoroughly out-boxed and out-classed JCC, who was still a great, great fighter at the time. Had Taylor simply stayed away and boxed for the final few rounds, he wins in a landslide. His Philadelphia roots came back to haunt him and his decision to brawl with JCC in those final few rounds had devastating effects, both in the outcome of the fight and the outcome of his career.

I disagree, btw... I don't think that Russell is as talented as Taylor was. Russell shows promise and I love the handspeed, but Taylor didn't have many weaknesses, whereas Russell's punching power and footwork are not anything to write home about.

I like Gamboa, but he had at least as many shortcomings as Russell when they were at the same stage of their respective careers, if not more. Gamboa is still prone to get wild and leave his defense in the corner. His chin is also a bit of a mystery. If you lack defense and have a questionable chin, that can be a pretty deadly combination.

Russell isn't as naturally talented as Gamboa, but he is already much more technically sound. I would definitely favor Gamboa big if the fight were to happen now or in the near future, but Russell is still a complete work in progress.

The reason he doesn't hit hard, commit to his punches and throws a lot of slaps is because he has had serious issues with his hands... The same problem, btw, that Floyd Mayweather Jr. had early in his career.

If Russell finds a way to deal with the brittle hands, I think you will see his power increase dramatically.

I'm looking for potential and Russell has plenty of it. That kind of handspeed doesn't come along every day.

Can't wait to see Gamboa take on Ponce next week. I'd love to see Russell vs. Mikey Garcia or Broner.
Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:29 AM   #130
Flash88
Kids at the park dunk on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack

I never said that Russell looked like the next Meldrick Taylor. I said he reminded me of Taylor. Russell will never be as talented as Taylor was, but I believe that like Taylor, Russell's downfall will be due to his propensity to trade in the middle of the ring rather than use lateral movement. Not to mention that though Taylor was never a big puncher, but he's like Sonny Liston compared to Russell.

The notion of Gamboa having a questionable chin is tenuous, in my opinion. Despite his knockdowns, I've only seen him shaken up once in his career (Jimenez), and he wasn't even hurt badly. Every other knockdown was the result of either a slip/balance shot/or getting clocked in the face with an elbow.

I also don't buy the belief that Russell's lack of power is caused by his hand problems. Russell's hands were fine on Saturday and yet Miranda took everything Russell landed and wasn't in trouble at any point of the fight. That fight was an utter mismatch that did not belong on BAD and Russell couldn't even hurt his opponent.

Russell is talented, but his style does not mesh well with his talents. I was underwhelmed by his defense as well. If I were a betting man, I would bet the farm on Mikey Garcia having a more accomplished run at 126 than Russell. I even think Donaire will leave a better legacy at 126 than Russell.
Flash88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:43 PM   #131
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

Vitali Klitschko TKO Adamek in the 10th round. Adamek needs to move back to the Cruiserweight Division. Haye and Adamek are smaller heavyweights.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:28 AM   #132
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

Just watched the replay it was a very boring fight. Vitali should have ended the fight in the earlier rounds because he's fighting a blown up Cruiserweight.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:07 AM   #133
DonD13
glew up ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron23
Just watched the replay it was a very boring fight. Vitali should have ended the fight in the earlier rounds because he's fighting a blown up Cruiserweight.

yeah it was a one-sided beating
but who do you would like to see them fight?
right now, there is nobody who would not look like a victim against the K's
maybe Helenius? or Povetkin?
hmmm maybe Helenius-Vitali would be a fight....
Old 09-11-2011, 08:38 AM   #134
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonD13
yeah it was a one-sided beating
but who do you would like to see them fight?
right now, there is nobody who would not look like a victim against the K's
maybe Helenius? or Povetkin?
hmmm maybe Helenius-Vitali would be a fight....

I want to see him fight Robert Helenius. He's as tall as Vitali, and he KO'ed Samuel Peters in the 9th round.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:49 AM   #135
DonD13
glew up ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron23
I want to see him fight Robert Helenius. He's as tall as Vitali, and he KO'ed Samuel Peters in the 9th round.

Vitali knocked out a clearly better version in the 8th
but yeah, nice win
but Helenius himself said that he's not ready
maybe in two years against 42 years old Vitali would be a fight.
I'll still pick Vitali
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: