Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-14-2013, 02:56 AM   #1381
Beatlezz
Champ;ipnsikp!

Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonD13
true. you've said that they are around the same level of "riskiness" in respect to beating Floyd....

I say Floyd should fight him at 154 or don't fight him at all.
I understand that Canelo would have crazy advantages (youth, weight, power,..) but that's what greatness is all about.
I'd be very excited and praise Floyd to the fullest!

This is all I want and all that matters, making the fight people actually want to see.
Beatlezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:16 AM   #1382
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlezz
Why wouldn't he say it if it's the truth?

Yeah... Why? Of course, that's assuming it's the unabashed truth in the first place, which you prefer to assume (I don't... for stuff coming from EITHER side).

It isn't as though a fighter or a fighter's team or a fighter's trainer would have a reason to project a positive picture of their own guy or anything, right? This is the crux of your argument and it makes no sense.

Meanwhile, let me ask you the same question about a guy with no vested interest in how either guy looks to the public... Why would Rafael say Canelo had no desire to fight below 154 if it wasn't true? Using your own logic, why? What's his reason?

Btw, you can edit posts, you know?
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:54 AM   #1383
Beatlezz
Champ;ipnsikp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack

Yeah... Why? Of course, that's assuming it's the unabashed truth in the first place, which you prefer to assume (I don't... for stuff coming from EITHER side).

It isn't as though a fighter or a fighter's team or a fighter's trainer would have a reason to project a positive picture of their own guy or anything, right? This is the crux of your argument and it makes no sense.

There is no point in lying about weight negotiations. Zero. Mayweather could easily dismiss that article anyway if it's false.

Quote:
Meanwhile, let me ask you the same question about a guy with no vested interest in how either guy looks to the public... Why would Rafael say Canelo had no desire to fight below 154 if it wasn't true? Using your own logic, why? What's his reason?

Btw, you can edit posts, you know?

Maybe if you would stop ignoring all the legitimate points that I've posted you would realize that I already had my say about this. Dig a little deeper Mr. Boxing Expert.
Beatlezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #1384
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
I think it would be incredibly ballsy for him to go all the way up to 154 and take the fight, but I also don't think it is something that people should just expect to happen. Floyd has never come into any fight close to the 154-pound limit. Yes, he has fought there a couple times, but there is a big difference between an older DLH and Cotto (who isn't nearly as big as Canelo) and fighting Alvarez there... A guy who is, quite honestly, probably too big to still be fighting at 154 in the first place and will be a full-fledged middleweight before long.

Hell, I could see Canelo being in line to fight Andre Ward down the road.

If Canelo truly is only interested in the fight at 154, I'd be disappointed if the fight couldn't be made... But I'd also understand why Floyd wouldn't want to do it. He's out-sized a lot of times at welter and he could probably easily move down to 140 if he had to. No one could objectively say Floyd is a 154-pounder. He's just not.

Only problem I have with this is that you've been saying Canelo would pretty much be easy work for Floyd, hes not ready and its not a risky fight. So with a Canelo fight that could be fairly easy and doesn't bring much risk, what's wrong with a fight at 154?
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:59 PM   #1385
WWRWestbrookDo?
GOATbrook Activated

in the end if Canelo wants Mayweather why should Mayweather have to go up? I mean I can see both sides. Canelo is natural 154er or 160er and why should he go down. But if he wants to make a lot of money sometimes rewards outweighs risk
WWRWestbrookDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:37 PM   #1386
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREWstonRockets
Only problem I have with this is that you've been saying Canelo would pretty much be easy work for Floyd, hes not ready and its not a risky fight. So with a Canelo fight that could be fairly easy and doesn't bring much risk, what's wrong with a fight at 154?
That's my personal opinion, but I could understand why a guy who has just grown into welterweight wouldn't want to step in against a guy weighing 170 pounds the night of the fight. There does come a point where mere size can overcome skill.

JCC Jr. is nowhere near the boxer of Sergio Martinez and, even at his advanced age, he really should have shut Chavez completely out... And he did for 10 rounds. Eventually, though, the massive size difference took its toll.

And this differential would have the potential to be even wider than that. Don't get it twisted... I want to see the fight happen, even if it is at 154. I do think Floyd would win regardless and that would be one hell of a challenge, just in the size and age differences alone (not to mention Canelo being a good fighter).

I'm not saying I don't want the fight to happen... Just that it shouldn't be expected if the only option is 154. I'm pretty sure Mayweather's camp couldn't care less what my personal opinion on the fight is (nor should they).
Old 05-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #1387
PistonsFan#21
College superstar

PistonsFan#21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:54 AM   #1388
PistonsFan#21
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonsFan#21

PistonsFan#21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:59 AM   #1389
Undisputed
Do. Your. Job.

Those two .gifs show one very fundamental flaw with Guerrero...keep your damn hands up.
Undisputed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #1390
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

Pacquiao is a gangster. Buying up votes, beating up a dude who was gonna snitch

http://manilatimes.net/index/index.p...rangay-captain
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #1391
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREWstonRockets
Pacquiao is a gangster. Buying up votes, beating up a dude who was gonna snitch

http://manilatimes.net/index/index.p...rangay-captain
Pretty casual use of the word "maul" in that article. Sounds like they may be blowing it out of proportion.

Quote:
Belgica, a member of the Achievement with Integrity Movement (AIM), a group affiliated with the Liberal Party (LP), said he was punched by Pacquiao and his bodyguards when he threatened to file charges against the lawmaker for buying votes.

Also sounds like Pac's fellow political goons may have done most of the work on the guy. Though, it is possible one punch by Pacquiao on an unsuspecting politician could be brutal enough to constitute a "mauling."

Either way, interesting to see Pac return to his roots. Lots of stories about this guy as a youth in the Philippians... He would use his talents in ways that were less than "Christian" in those days... And even being forced to eat rats and other sh!t you'd only hear about in third world countries.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #1392
WWRWestbrookDo?
GOATbrook Activated

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonsFan#21

haha looked like Mayweather just bitch slapped him with the padding of his glove
Old 05-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #1393
WWRWestbrookDo?
GOATbrook Activated

anyone think Erislandy Lara vs Canelo would be a good fight?
Old 05-15-2013, 09:50 PM   #1394
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWRWestbrookDo?
anyone think Erislandy Lara vs Canelo would be a good fight?
Lara would win though.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:09 PM   #1395
magic chiongson
I post-up midgets

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
Lara would win though.

or he could get robbed. i'm kinda interested to see how long will it take for a lara vs trout match to get me to sleep
magic chiongson is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: