Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-03-2011, 03:31 PM   #31
ConanRulesNBC
Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Donnie Walsh out as Knicks team president. Will just be consultant for 2011-12

Maybe Phil Jackson?
ConanRulesNBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:34 PM   #32
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

Default Re: Donnie Walsh out as Knicks team president. Will just be consultant for 2011-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster
Which they where.

No they didn't. The Knicks were going to have to pay Chandler over the summer if they wanted to keep him, and couldn't afford to re-sign him and acquire Melo. My view is when your team isn't going to win this year, its better to prepare for the future than worry about getting a few extra regular season wins.

Here's 3 quetions I posted about the situation on March 24th (just after the 8th game of a stretch where the Knicks lost 9 games out of the 10 they played).

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsquireSports
EsquireSports Kevin Davis
1) Were the Knicks, (28-26 prior to the trade) going to win a title this year if they hadn't made a trade?
24 Mar

2) If NY hadn't made the trade, and Melo signed somewhere else, would the team have had a better chance to win a title in the coming years?
24 Mar

3) Would you really risk an amount up to $20 mil dollars in the next 4 years by not signing a contract this year under the current CBA?
2LeTTeRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:39 PM   #33
FourthTenor
Banned

I can't believe how badly Knicks fans are over rating the talent on their roster.

They've got two max contract guys who are nowhere near max contract players.

LBJ and Wade are actually taking up less cap space on their team than Amare and Melo are on theirs. Despite being the far, FAR superior tandem.

And Miami has had to grind just to get to the finals. They didnt finish the regular season with the best record, and they didnt sweep a playoff series. They have two of the top 3 players in the league. New York has max contracts committed to a couple of borderline top-10 guys. And basically nothing else. No draft picks to trade, hardly any role players. New York is not a contender. Anyone think this roster is gonna contend for something? LOL stop. And what moves can they make to change it? Virtually none.

The way they played at the end of this season, basically .500 ball, is how theyre gonna play next year, maybe a slight bit better. Believe me, "training camp" is not gonna suddenly make this team a contender. smfh at delusional fans.

Last edited by FourthTenor : 06-03-2011 at 03:42 PM.
FourthTenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:43 PM   #34
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourthTenor
I can't believe how badly Knicks fans are over rating the talent on their roster.

Stop reading right there. If Joe Johnson's a max salary guy in this league you can't tell me that Amare or Carmelo don't deserve their money.

Oh and I"m not a Knick fan at all.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:44 PM   #35
bagelred
Weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourthTenor

Nowhere near? Well, then, who IS deserving of big money. Lebron, Howard, and that's it?

10 guys started in last years All Star game.

Knicks have 2 of them.

With absolutely no other long term contracts on the payroll. The closest thing Knicks have to a "bad" contract is Balkman's 2 years, $1.7 million a year.

Amare and Melo are still both under 30 years of age.

And this is bad how?

Besides Heat and maybe Thunder, is there a team that's better positioned for immediate and future success than the Knicks? The team personnel and payroll is wide open after Melo and Amare.

Last edited by bagelred : 06-03-2011 at 04:03 PM.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:14 PM   #36
Rose
Chill Mode

I think he's saying by "bad" max contracts it'll be next to impossible for them to improve heading into the new CBA.

The Heat somewhat struggled in the playoffs getting to the Finals with 3 guys who aren't making max money, so they had cap room in case the cap doesn't go down.(which it now obviously will)

So how will the Knicks improve their roster with 2 completely max guys, who are worth the money.(although I have doubts about Amare being a max guy) There's really not a lot of room.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:15 PM   #37
Clutch
NBA Legend

I hope that means D'Antoni will be gone soon.
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:16 PM   #38
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose
I think he's saying by "bad" max contracts it'll be next to impossible for them to improve heading into the new CBA.

The Heat somewhat struggled in the playoffs getting to the Finals with 3 guys who aren't making max money, so they had cap room in case the cap doesn't go down.(which it now obviously will)

So how will the Knicks improve their roster with 2 completely max guys, who are worth the money.(although I have doubts about Amare being a max guy) There's really not a lot of room.

Chris Paul.
Draft picks
Veteran free agents

Thats the way we're going.
Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:19 PM   #39
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
No they didn't. The Knicks were going to have to pay Chandler over the summer if they wanted to keep him, and couldn't afford to re-sign him and acquire Melo. My view is when your team isn't going to win this year, its better to prepare for the future than worry about getting a few extra regular season wins.

Here's 3 quetions I posted about the situation on March 24th (just after the 8th game of a stretch where the Knicks lost 9 games out of the 10 they played).

I doubt it. We had Wilson's bird rights, and we could have signed Melo and then waited to see what Wilson got on the open market. If he didnt get over the MLE, we would've been able to bring him back for the Qualifying Option.

Wilson's numbers were very good in New York due to our system, but he struggled badly in Denver.
Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:22 PM   #40
Rose
Chill Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowe
Chris Paul.
Draft picks
Veteran free agents

Thats the way we're going.
And the new CBA will lower the cap so you can't get CP3.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:24 PM   #41
bagelred
Weird

Quote:

Well then EVERY team is in that position. Every team has one or two max guys. Knicks payroll is still less than half of the league. What are the Lakers going to do? What about the Magic?
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:25 PM   #42
Rose
Chill Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
Well then EVERY team is in that position. Every team has one or two max guys. Knicks payroll is still less than half of the league. What are the Lakers going to do? What about the Magic?
Amnesty clause to wipe out a bad contract, to help them meet the new hard cap.

What the owners want is a gradual reduction in cap. And unless the player cave in on, on reduced contracts that won't happen.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:30 PM   #43
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

Quote:

So how will the Knicks improve their roster with 2 completely max guys, who are worth the money.
(although I have doubts about Amare being a max guy) There's really not a lot of room.

Why do people read these reports on ESPN about eveything the owners want and believe the new CBA will reflect that to a tee? If there is a hard cap instituted, expect it to be up to about the luxury tax threshold.

I see absolutley no way that the league would set a hard cap (i.e. a number that teams can't exceed) and make it lower than the current cap when most of the teams are already over that number.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:32 PM   #44
Rose
Chill Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
Why do people read these reports on ESPN about eveything the owners want and believe the new CBA will reflect that to a tee? If there is a hard cap instituted, expect it to be up to about the luxury tax threshold.

I see absolutley no way that the league would set a hard cap (i.e. a number that teams can't exceed) and make it lower than the current cap when most of the teams are already over that number.
Amnesty clause....gradual decline to the hard cap they want. The owners will get what they want. They always do, same in hockey, and baseball. And as we're watching right now...football.

Never underestimate 30 rich old bastards.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:32 PM   #45
Joey Zaza
Local High School Star

My fear with the new GM is that he's going to make some rookie panic signing this summer - say D'bert for the mid-level - losing our flexibility for the CP3 year and locking us into a really avergae talent for a long period of time.

...and why is this the hate d'Antoni thread....all he's done is get two completely reinvented teams (reinvention 1: Amare-Felt-Chandler; reinvent 2: Melo-Amare-Billups) to the playoffs for the first time in 7 years and plus .500 for the first time in 10.
Joey Zaza is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: