Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 06-05-2011, 04:24 PM   #1
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Bano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation here
Default Alan Hahn: Sources say D'Antoni will look to hire defensive assistant coach

Quote:
alanhahn Alan Hahn
Sources: Mike D'Antoni will look to hire a defensive assistant coach this offseason. Story in Newsday: http://bit.ly/laMCf3 #Knicks #NBA
7 hours ago

What do you guys think? It looks like the man has been reading a few message boards to get a clue about how to handle the defense.

I'm glad he has realized that his philosphy of being a top 5 offense and top 20 defense wont win anything. I remember at the beggining of the season that he told the players that all they needed was to be top 20 in defense to get to the play-offs. I think D'Antoni is realizing you need both Offense and Defense to be able to win and I also think he's trying to save his ass from being fired.

Anyway, who are some coaches you would like to see come in and teach these Knicks how to play defense?
Bano114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Scoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Alan Hahn: Sources say D'Antoni will look to hire defensive assistant coach

Good. I wanted Mike Brown, but obviously that's not happening.

Quote:
I'm glad he has realized that his philosphy of being a top 5 offense and top 20 defense wont win anything. I remember at the beggining of the season that he told the players that all they needed was to be top 20 in defense to get to the play-offs. I think D'Antoni is realizing you need both Offense and Defense to be able to win and I also think he's trying to save his ass from being fired.
Well, he was right, more or less. Why would they fire him? Because he got the team into the playoffs with a winning record for the first time in forever? Because he essentially was forced to do that with two different teams in one season? Now, he might get fired - hell, there's probably a good chance - but that would just be a further indictment of the Knicks' pitiful ownership more than than anything else.

Part of me hopes they bring in a new, defensive minded head coach so we can a) continue not winning championships and b) be super boring. Awesome.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
blablabla

blablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Alan Hahn: Sources say D'Antoni will look to hire defensive assistant coach

even if we sign a defensive coach we still won't be a good defensive team
stat and melo haven't played d since they got drafted a defensive coach won't change that i think but i hope he does
blablabla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:10 PM   #4
Nickel06
Kids at the park dunk on me

Nickel06 has an OK reputation so far

First choice: Lawrence Frank.
Nickel06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:24 PM   #5
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

knickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

First let's get something straight.....

I think D'antoni is stubborn, but I don't think he is stupid.

If he doesn't hire one, he will bolt to Toronto or GS

Since Mike Brown is gone if he gets Frank I think that is a start.

But the Knicks have to make changes to the offense as well.

Forget the open shot, and go for the easy shot.

Hiring a defensive assistant alone won't do the trick.

I don't know what our defensive assistant will be doing/saying/thinking when we put up an early perimeter shot, miss it, and can't get to the rebound.

The offense has to change and no defensive coach will be able to solve that.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:28 PM   #6
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Scoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation here

We need a point guard who can run the pick and roll. Chauncey's pull-up threes kill us.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:46 PM   #7
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

knickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoooter
We need a point guard who can run the pick and roll. Chauncey's pull-up threes kill us.
Perhaps Walsh should have drafted one instead of drafting forwards every time the Knicks were up.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:49 PM   #8
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

He wanted Curry. Let's not act like Brandon Jennings is the next Steve Nash. He's a worse passer than Chuck Billups. Doesn't make up for it with shooting either.

Felton was getting better at the P'nR. Plus, he could drive and kick. Gallo could run it, when they let him handle the ball. I think Melo can too, they need to run that 3/4 more often.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:49 PM   #9
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Quote:
Part of me hopes they bring in a new, defensive minded head coach so we can a) continue not winning championships and b) be super boring. Awesome.
No fan of their team would say this, especially seeing only the top defensive teams make the latter rounds of the playoffs.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #10
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Quote:
He wanted Curry. Let's not act like Brandon Jennings is the next Steve Nash. He's a worse passer than Chuck Billups. Doesn't make up for it with shooting either.

Felton was getting better at the P'nR. Plus, he could drive and kick. Gallo could run it, when they let him handle the ball. I think Melo can too, they need to run that 3/4 more often.
OK, so since they couldn't get Curry, then screw the draft let's draft the position we have a ton of...forward?

Plus Curry's strength is his shooting, not his playmaking.

Come on dude, Chauncey has nothing to do with this.

Walsh bumbling the draft two straight seasons cost the Knicks a chance to have what your beloved coach needs....... a PG to run his chuck up "bad shots" offense.

He should have traded down then, perhaps picked another expirer and take shot at a less expensive player, in Lawson, Teague, Maynor, Collison.

This should be in a different thread, let's take it their next time.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:13 PM   #11
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Bano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickscity
OK, so since they couldn't get Curry, then screw the draft let's draft the position we have a ton of...forward?

Walsh bumbling the draft two straight seasons cost the Knicks a chance to have what your beloved coach needs....... a PG to run his chuck up "bad shots" offense.

He should have traded down then, perhaps picked another expirer and take shot at a less expensive player, in Lawson, Teague, Maynor, Collison.

I never liked the idea of having one thread for different topics because people could be having a good conversation on one topic then another poster comes in and posts something else and it messes up the flow of the thread. It makes them harder to follow.

I guess it doesn't matter though.

Walsh really did mess that draft up. There were more then enough PG's to go around. Maybe you couldn't get the one you wanted but that doesn't mean others don't have the potential to be just as good. Jordan Hill was a terrible pick. If he wanted a big man he could have taken DaJuan Blair with the 29th pick instead of Toney Douglas and selected Jennings 8th or traded down and drafted Lawson.

Imagine where we would be?......Probably in the same spot because Walsh would have probably traded one of those guys in the T-Mac deal and the other in the Melo deal.
Bano114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:54 PM   #12
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
No fan of their team would say this, especially seeing only the top defensive teams make the latter rounds of the playoffs.
You people have driven me to madness.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:59 PM   #13
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Quote:

Chauncey sucks asshole. You're saying we need better offense, he's one of the biggest problems.

Jordan Hill was a weird pick, but only in hindsight. Who else should he have drafted? Curry was gone, Brandon Jennings is awful. If he had drafted Teague or Collison he would have gotten ripped. Lawson's interesting, but he had about as much upside as Hill. Trading down is an interesting notion. I could see that.

Walsh did bring in a PG guard. Felton had problems, but he was a hell of a lot better than what we have now. And with more time to learn the system, who knows.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:01 PM   #14
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bano114
Imagine where we would be?......Probably in the same spot because Walsh would have probably traded one of those guys in the T-Mac deal and the other in the Melo deal.
Yeah, this. It probably doesn't matter who they drafted there.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:26 PM   #15
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Quote:
You people have driven me to madness.
You got there for adamantly defending mediocrity, don't blame us.

Anyone who supports D'antoni doesn't like winning, even Amar'e who loves D'antoni, is finally seeing the light.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: