Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-07-2011, 12:08 PM   #1
Knicksfever2010
Decent college freshman

Knicksfever2010 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryKnicksfever2010 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default ron harper on ESPN stuttering like crazy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElGk51iZCaM

*i feel bad for the guy because ESPN should have known he had a problem and embarrassed him like that. WOW
Knicksfever2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
Kellogs4toniee
Bulls 4 Life

Kellogs4toniee has a terrific reputationKellogs4toniee has a terrific reputationKellogs4toniee has a terrific reputationKellogs4toniee has a terrific reputationKellogs4toniee has a terrific reputationKellogs4toniee has a terrific reputation
Default Re: ron harper on ESPN stuttering like crazy

It is unfortunate, but I feel like if anyone has come to terms with there stuttering it would be Ron Harper. My credibility based on experience is absolutely zero obviously, but Harper, a vital player to five championships, doesn't seem to me like the kind of person that would shy away from an analysis broadcast.

O and btw, the King's Speech was a phenomenal film. Highly recommended!
Kellogs4toniee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:15 PM   #3
ace23

ace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Wow, that is sad.

And funny at the same time :roll
ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:15 PM   #4
Marquis Daniels
MY BOSS IS A *****

Marquis Daniels is a pretty well-respected posterMarquis Daniels is a pretty well-respected posterMarquis Daniels is a pretty well-respected poster

dam espn
Marquis Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
Kombo
:)

Kombo has decent reputationKombo has decent reputation

I don't see what's wrong with interviewing him like the youtube video implies. We don't need to hide the fact he stutters, there is nothing wrong with it. Obviously it's shocking to hear if you're listening to the radio, and a natural reaction might be to laugh, but he's an expert on the subject they were talking about and I think this carries more weight than his speech impediment.
Kombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:24 PM   #6
dbugz
Gang Green

dbugz is considered somewhat cooldbugz is considered somewhat cooldbugz is considered somewhat cool

Does he have a disease or something? Or he's that nervous?

Seemed like he knows what he saying and delivered some of the line ok but there were times that he would stutter really bad like that isn't normal for a person who's just nervous.
dbugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
az00m
bet purple 3/05/11

az00m has decent reputationaz00m has decent reputation

Good for him.

Most people are afraid to even talk too a girl in public that they will never see again.
az00m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:44 PM   #8
Knicksfever2010
Decent college freshman

Knicksfever2010 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryKnicksfever2010 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kombo
I don't see what's wrong with interviewing him like the youtube video implies. We don't need to hide the fact he stutters, there is nothing wrong with it. Obviously it's shocking to hear if you're listening to the radio, and a natural reaction might be to laugh, but he's an expert on the subject they were talking about and I think this carries more weight than his speech impediment.

So you really dont see a problem with ESPN putting someone on the air that has a stuttering problem? atleast let him get it fixed (bill walton) before subjecting him to ridicule and possibly affecting any kind of career with ESPN etc... this was shameful from ESPN.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:56 PM   #9
Kombo
:)

Kombo has decent reputationKombo has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicksfever2010
So you really dont see a problem with ESPN putting someone on the air that has a stuttering problem? atleast let him get it fixed (bill walton) before subjecting him to ridicule and possibly affecting any kind of career with ESPN etc... this was shameful from ESPN.

I'm sure Harper knows he has a stuttering problem. If he's like a lot of people with the same issue, he's had to deal with it most of his life and has likely come to accept it.

For me personally, I'd be more upset if I was declined an interview because of the stutter (if I was an expert on the subject like Harper was), than I would be upset about people ridiculing me for the interview itself.
Kombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:59 PM   #10
Shepseskaf
Old School

Shepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicksfever2010
You need sensitivity training. "Get it fixed"? C'mon.

No, there is no problem with interviewing someone who has a stuttering problem. Ron Harper has loads of interesting things to say about playing in championships, and I wanted to hear it. The stuttering is awkward, but no more than that.

I thought the interview should have been structured better, so that he could give short, concise answers.

This has been a lifelong issue for Harper, and it provides a reality check for everyone who listened to realize that athletes are subject to all of the things experienced by regular people.
Shepseskaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:06 PM   #11
Knicksfever2010
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepseskaf
You need sensitivity training. "Get it fixed"? C'mon.

No, there is no problem with interviewing someone who has a stuttering problem. Ron Harper has loads of interesting things to say about playing in championships, and I wanted to hear it. The stuttering is awkward, but no more than that.

I thought the interview should have been structured better, so that he could give short, concise answers.

This has been a lifelong issue for Harper, and it provides a reality check for everyone who listened to realize that athletes are subject to all of the things experienced by regular people.

'short concise answers'?? ok fine, let him say -"yes, no" etc.. hahah wow, you guys need your heads examined. Mods PLEASE close this thread due to stupidity of other posters
Old 06-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #12
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Rowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepseskaf

The worst part is the people today who hear athletes with stutters or struggles with public speaking and think that they are somehow "retarded" because of it.

A prime example going forward will be Mike Gilchrist, Top 5 pick next year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBrWRPGnSNo
Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:14 PM   #13
kidachi

wow. I did not laugh. I couldn't.

I didn't know he's a stutterer. Did he have this problem before?
Old 06-07-2011, 01:29 PM   #14
jstern
Great college starter

jstern has decent reputationjstern has decent reputation

Didn't watch. I can't stand to see people get embarrassed or hurt, but most people seem to love it on youtube. From one to ten, how bad was it?
jstern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #15
ace23

ace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstern
Didn't watch. I can't stand to see people get embarrassed or hurt, but most people seem to love it on youtube. From one to ten, how bad was it?
Maybe a 100000000
ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: