Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-07-2011, 02:41 PM   #16
High Roller
I hit open 5-footers

Default Re: ron harper on ESPN stuttering like crazy

I always laugh at people who do embarrassing stuff, but this is really really messed up. I had to turn off the video about half way through, let alone laugh at the guy.
High Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:59 PM   #17
NugzFan
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquis Daniels
dam espn

wtf are you talking about? is it espns fault he stutters? are you embarrassed for him? did they force him to be interviewed?

so what he stutters? its the fact that you guys are making a big deal about it and acting like he should be embarrassed (including even making this thread) thats the problem - not harper or espn.
NugzFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:08 PM   #18
Kellogs4toniee
Bulls 4 Life

I'm in shock people aren't aware that stuttering is an actual speech disorder. It's not about embarrassment anymore at this point. It's not like Harper started getting nervous all of a sudden and the stuttering started during the interview, then they broadcasted it. It's an issue that Harper has had to deal with for pretty much his entire life.

But like I mentioned previously, he was a vital part of five championship teams. Obviously his B-Ball IQ and knowledge of the game is far superior than 99.99% of the population.

His analysis of the game is backed up by the same reasons why we hire Ex-players and coaches to announce games. They see the game in a different manner and have details that would often go un-noticed by the general public.

Yes... the stuttering is there and many people will over-react, laugh, or feel sorry for the guy. There is nothing you can do about that. But to say his opinions shouldn't be broad-casted when it's obvious he wanted to give his opinion is not the way one should view this situation. Like someone already mentioned, it would be more shameful to not allow a man who clearly has superior b-ball knowledge to broadcast his opinion because of a stutter problem then it is to broadcast it publicly.
Kellogs4toniee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:20 PM   #19
NewYorkNoPicks
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowe
The worst part is the people today who hear athletes with stutters or struggles with public speaking and think that they are somehow "retarded" because of it.

A prime example going forward will be Mike Gilchrist, Top 5 pick next year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBrWRPGnSNo

theres really nothing wrong with how he talks. he just pauses a bit before he answers the interviewers questions. i could see how it might be from nerves, but he handles himself very well despite it. if you didnt point it out, most people wouldn't think twice about it.
NewYorkNoPicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:25 PM   #20
jstern
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace23
Maybe a 100000000
Did the guys acknowledge that he was stuttering, or was he stuttering really bad and they pretended as if nothing was wrong?

I'll just watch the video.
jstern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:51 PM   #21
1987_Lakers
NBA All-star

I've had stuttering problems my whole life too. It's a combo of being nervous & excited. Bill Walton had the same problem, but overcame it. Hopefully Harper does the same.
1987_Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:58 PM   #22
Shepseskaf
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicksfever2010
'short concise answers'?? ok fine, let him say -"yes, no" etc.. hahah wow, you guys need your heads examined. Mods PLEASE close this thread due to stupidity of other posters
This is why 10-year olds shouldn't be allowed to post here.

Go to your room and leave the commenting on important, sensitive issues to adults.
Shepseskaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:00 PM   #23
tomtucker
Prince of Wallachia

Just becoz you stutter donīt mean you donīt want to speak your mind, and espn wanted to hear his opinion......i have a doctor that stutters.....i allways get nervous when he talks to me, is he hiding something from me and is nervous about telling me, or is he just like that.
tomtucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #24
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellogs4toniee
I'm in shock people aren't aware that stuttering is an actual speech disorder. It's not about embarrassment anymore at this point. It's not like Harper started getting nervous all of a sudden and the stuttering started during the interview, then they broadcasted it. It's an issue that Harper has had to deal with for pretty much his entire life.

But like I mentioned previously, he was a vital part of five championship teams. Obviously his B-Ball IQ and knowledge of the game is far superior than 99.99% of the population.

His analysis of the game is backed up by the same reasons why we hire Ex-players and coaches to announce games. They see the game in a different manner and have details that would often go un-noticed by the general public.

Yes... the stuttering is there and many people will over-react, laugh, or feel sorry for the guy. There is nothing you can do about that. But to say his opinions shouldn't be broad-casted when it's obvious he wanted to give his opinion is not the way one should view this situation. Like someone already mentioned, it would be more shameful to not allow a man who clearly has superior b-ball knowledge to broadcast his opinion because of a stutter problem then it is to broadcast it publicly.

Where do you base him having superior bbal knowledge exactly? Because he is a former player that was apart of the team you celebrated/praised? He rarely speaks publicly for anyone to have an idea what he knows. Its just an assumption former player = so much knowledge.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:55 PM   #25
ace23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Where do you base him having superior bbal knowledge exactly? Because he is a former player that was apart of the team you celebrated/praised? He rarely speaks publicly for anyone to have an idea what he knows. Its just an assumption former player = so much knowledge.
I suppose you could teach him a thing or two?
ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:04 PM   #26
bagelred
Weird

that wasn't nearly as bad as i thought it was going to be.

that wasn't so bbbbbb....bbbbbb.....bb...bbbbbbbbbbbb......bad at all.

Sorry, my keyboard sticks sometimes........that was some bad timing.

Last edited by bagelred : 06-07-2011 at 05:07 PM.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:16 PM   #27
PullupJay
Focus

Not cool or funny to laugh at someone stuttering...

my little brother has it and he goes to speech therapy for it.. its some serious ish... so who ever laughs at this go screw yourself
PullupJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #28
talkingconch
College superstar

It wasn't even funny?
talkingconch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:33 PM   #29
Brunch@Five
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB

I'd base it on the fact that he probably spent 50% of his time between ages 16 and 35 with practicing BBall or thinking about it. If he's not a complete retard, he surely will know more about BBall than everyone on this forum.
Brunch@Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:49 PM   #30
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunch@Five
I'd base it on the fact that he probably spent 50% of his time between ages 16 and 35 with practicing BBall or thinking about it. If he's not a complete retard, he surely will know more about BBall than everyone on this forum.

So would Allen Iverson. Stromile Swift. Michael Olakandi. But I'm not sure fans would conceede these individuals know the game more than them. But we can assume so. Afterall we wouldnt bash players "thinking" along with GMs or even so called espn experts people laugh at because they predicted a series to go one way and it went another. Alas we do tho.

So back to my point, Ron Harper has rarely spoken out and offered his insight and knowledge to fans. Curious how one would claim such superior knowledge.

Quote:
I suppose you could teach him a thing or two?

I couldnt, I dont have superior knowledge on the game.

You clearly missed the point. As if I was stuttering like Ron Harper in my post.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: