Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-07-2011, 06:43 PM   #46
Ne 1
College star

Default Re: LeBron: Winning Will Take Care Of My Legacy...

Quote:
Magic Johnson was a lot worse. He wanted to play with Kareem and said he wouldn't go to any other team but LA when he was still a young kid. Magic hijacked every other team that could have selected him and then Magic went out of his way to get his coach fired.

Not true. Magic had a choice between the Lakers and the Bulls (well, it was about who won the coin toss) and said that that he would either play for the Lakers or remain at Michigan State. However, here is the difference between Magic and LeBron. Magic was a kid coming out of college, he had not played even one second of NBA basketball. Lebron had been with Cleveland for 7 years allowing those fans to line his pockets with millions of dollars and dreams of a promised championship. Then he left them (as was his right) in an extremely callous and disloyal manner. What he did was about the same as telling your wife that you love her and then showing up at the next family get together with your 25 year old girlfriend, telling your wife (in front of the rest of the family) that you want a divorce and then driving off in your new sports car with the 25 year old girlfriend. While I don't condone what Magic did (didn't like Eli Manning refusing to go to San Diego or Elway refusing to play for the Colts, either), I just don't find it as distasteful as what Lebron did because he wasn't leaving behind a fan base that had put millions in his pocket and supported him for 7 years. I, personally, have no problem with him leaving, just the way he did it.

Quote:
Lebron didn't do any of those sorts of things. He honored his contract with the team that drafted him, and then he was a FREE agent and FREE to go where he pleased. He did nothing wrong.

He colluded with two other top tier 2 players because he couldn't handle the pressure of being them man. His little tv gig was a punk move and the whole time he always suggested that he was going to return to Cleveland and portrayed himself as some home town hero. If he was going to leave he should have gave them notice.

Quote:
Wilt wanted to go to LA.

Wilt was passed his prime and already brought a championship to Philadelphia.

Quote:
Kareem forced things to get to LA.

Kareem hadalready brought a championship to Milwaukee and went to a Laker team with no other top tier players on the team.
Ne 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:44 PM   #47
DMAVS41
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
its not always WHAT you do, but also HOW you do it.

Which is why Lebron's potential rings with the Heat should be put into the class of Magic and Bird and Kobe and Shaq and Kareem. Not in the class of Hakeem, Duncan, or Jordan.

I think people will put any potential rings in proper context with Lebron and Wade on this Heat team.

But again, if people cared HOW you win your rings, Bird should be ranked behind Duncan in every list.

Duncan's 4 titles based on HOW he won them blows Bird's 3 out of the water. Its not close at all. Same with Hakeem's 2 vs Bird's 3. Again...not close.

Thats not how it works though for the most part.

People rank players here by overall production and rings. Not much emphasis on HOW rings are won actually.

Last edited by DMAVS41 : 06-07-2011 at 07:07 PM.
DMAVS41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:03 PM   #48
Eat Like A Bosh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
THis never gets old.
Eat Like A Bosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:19 PM   #49
comerb
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne 1
Not true. Magic had a choice between the Lakers and the Bulls (well, it was about who won the coin toss) and said that that he would either play for the Lakers or remain at Michigan State. However, here is the difference between Magic and LeBron. Magic was a kid coming out of college, he had not played even one second of NBA basketball. Lebron had been with Cleveland for 7 years allowing those fans to line his pockets with millions of dollars and dreams of a promised championship.

Lebron was going to make million regardless of who drafted him, he owned the fans nothing more than the 7 years he gave them, and he earned ever single dime he made.

I fail to see how a kid coming out of college who has earned nothing choosing and picking where he will play in the NBA is somehow less ridiculous. Lebron earned his right to play wherever he wanted, Magic didn't.

Personally, I really don't see a problem with either scenario. Just a bunch of juvenile "fans" who can't separate basketball from bullshit drama. You'd think this shit was the WWE.
comerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #50
Samurai Swoosh
Root Of All Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat Like A Bosh
THis never gets old.
Samurai Swoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: