Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 06-22-2011, 03:52 PM   #16
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic E3 opener trailer

didnt play WoW but Im hearing that the main difference between TOR and WoW is the voice over aspect of the game.

They say WoW had a gang of text between missions where all of TOR will be voiced.

I specifically was a fan of Kotor I & II because of the voice acting and the most importantly the story...

If the story is great like Kotor's was, the game should be alot of fun.

(i hope)
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:16 PM   #17
Draz
Like a Baoss.

Draz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

This looks hot. I wasn't into star wars, never watched any movies. I hope they make it so people who didn't watch the movies really didn't miss out on the game, it will help improve the sales.
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:04 AM   #18
ukballer
NBA rookie of the year

ukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draz
This looks hot. I wasn't into star wars, never watched any movies. I hope they make it so people who didn't watch the movies really didn't miss out on the game, it will help improve the sales.

You won't learn anything about the actual movies from the game itself, other than maybe some of the stories in the game might be similar I guess. It won't have any characters from the films in the game as far as I know.

Just watch the original 3 films. You probably won't be disappointed. The 3 prequels are just meh though.
ukballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:50 PM   #19
intrinsic
Local High School Star

intrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
didnt play WoW but Im hearing that the main difference between TOR and WoW is the voice over aspect of the game.

They say WoW had a gang of text between missions where all of TOR will be voiced.

I specifically was a fan of Kotor I & II because of the voice acting and the most importantly the story...

If the story is great like Kotor's was, the game should be alot of fun.

(i hope)

If this is your first taste of an MMORPG, it will be fun, no doubt. For me, I was looking for bioware to bring something fresh to the genre. The big difference between this game and KOTOR will be access to content. All MMO's try to balance the rewards for hardcore players, who dedicate so much of their time, and the regular people who don't have more than a passing interest in studying youtube videos/fight mechanics, maintaining a consistent schedule for group content, and competition for server/global reputation.

The companion characters in tor address this to a degree though. companion characters were revealed at e3 as a way to circumvent group requirements by allowing players to enter "raids" with an ai memeber of the group and lowered difficulty. I'm paraphrasing, but there was a gamespot vid at e3 with info about raids, mounts, and some other details.
intrinsic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:41 PM   #20
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrinsic
If this is your first taste of an MMORPG, it will be fun, no doubt. For me, I was looking for bioware to bring something fresh to the genre. The big difference between this game and KOTOR will be access to content. All MMO's try to balance the rewards for hardcore players, who dedicate so much of their time, and the regular people who don't have more than a passing interest in studying youtube videos/fight mechanics, maintaining a consistent schedule for group content, and competition for server/global reputation.

The companion characters in tor address this to a degree though. companion characters were revealed at e3 as a way to circumvent group requirements by allowing players to enter "raids" with an ai memeber of the group and lowered difficulty. I'm paraphrasing, but there was a gamespot vid at e3 with info about raids, mounts, and some other details.

I think I read that article. Im fuzzy with some of these concepts but I did understand that the difficulty would be modified depending on how you play the game.

Im still figuring out the terminology (like tanks and healers) and different aspects of mmorpg group play.
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:19 PM   #21
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Companions will not be allowed in PvE Raids or PvP Battlegrounds. In Flashpoints (4-man instances), a Companion can replace another player, but will only be 50-80% as effective/powerful as a normal player. The most common use will be 3 players using a Companion for some extra heals and/or dps. Using 2 players and 2 Companions is also possible, but supposedly incredibly difficult.

Companions are powerful, and trying to level without one will prove to be difficult, if not borderline impossible at certain points. The solo questing is designed around the use of companions, or grouping with another player. This is probably my biggest issue with the game to date, because I don't enjoy playing pet classes, and companions are a near requirement for basic questing.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:42 AM   #22
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Just a heads up, you can now pre-order this game on Amazon and Origin.com.

I bought two Collectors Editions myself.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:58 AM   #23
ukballer
NBA rookie of the year

ukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

About to pre-order a collectors edition too. Amazon UK are damn slow updating. They've only just updated the SWTOR page to say it's now available for pre-order, but no sign of the collectors edition which I want yet.

Think I'll go with a different company unless they add the collectors edition in the next 30 minutes or so....

I know there isn't really a rush, but I want to get my order done asap.

EDIT: By the way, why'd you order 2? Collectors Edition is pretty pricey as it is.

Last edited by ukballer : 07-21-2011 at 07:52 AM.
ukballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:27 AM   #24
embersyc
Lurker

embersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputation

Lately I think as gameplay videos come out this is just gonna be WoW/Rift with a star wars skin and voice acting.

The most inovative MMORPG coming out is gonna be The Secret World.

www.thesecretworld.com

I'll probably still play TOR, but only if it comes out before The Secret World.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:48 AM   #25
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by embersyc
Lately I think as gameplay videos come out this is just gonna be WoW/Rift with a star wars skin and voice acting.

The most inovative MMORPG coming out is gonna be The Secret World.

www.thesecretworld.com

I'll probably still play TOR, but only if it comes out before The Secret World.

Good luck with Funcom.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:22 AM   #26
embersyc
Lurker

embersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputation

Okay, I'll bite... what's wrong with Funcom? I've never played a Funcom MMO before I'll admit, but it seems like their games have always had cultish hardcore followings, and Anarchy Online is still going after 10 years even though it had to go the F2P route to survive.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:23 PM   #27
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Well Age of Conan, which I still play had an historic collapse after massive initial sales because they were not ready and released the game prematurely. Subsequently they completely reworked stat itemization post launch and changed direction of the game. It was essentially beta tested for nearly 3 years while surviving on its unique combat system before becoming the excellent game it is in the past 6 months.

They are a small company with limited resources and can be very slow to respond.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:16 PM   #28
Sakkreth
Raptors/LTU/Zalgiris

Sakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation here

Sorry guys, but SW:TOR is going to fail.
Sakkreth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:47 PM   #29
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakkreth

Unlikely.

They will turn a profit from box sales alone... and Star Wars fanbois will insure the game stays alive for at least a decade.

You realize people still pay to play SWG? That game literally shit on its customers and laughed about it, and still had a large enough customer base to sustain multiple servers. The only reason they are shutting down is because their contract with Lucas Arts is ending.

Don't underestimate the power of the force. I've seen a grown man cry just from hearing the opening music for Star Wars.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:55 PM   #30
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakkreth

Not even close. The single player alone will make this game a success. Eight entirely unique leveling stories with hundreds and hundreds of hours of Bioware RPG's style questing and storylines? That alone will make it a huge success. Now mix in PvP'ing with your Bioware/Starwars RPG character. Even if there's a lack of end game at launch it will be a massive success and entertaining as a single player game.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: