Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 06-11-2011, 04:06 PM   #1
Legend of Josh
Banned

Default PlayStation Vita

I wasn't even aware Sony was in the market for yet another handheld gadget. This year's E3 unveiled this new machine, which seems to be an enhanced version of PSP. At one time I was an owner of the very first PSP versions; one that you could actually hack into and customize. I remember having all these kick-ass ROMs like NES, SNES, SEGA, etc. Honestly, that was the highlight of my PSP.

I never really cared much for the VMD (?) movies, and with their price point on average being that of a typical DVD (if not more) it never really took off from a consume perspective either. Let's be honest, the vast majority of the actual titles on the PSP were trash. IMO, a noticeable pattern that made the PSP over-hyped, over-advertised, overkill period. Sony went to great lengths to make this device a success.

I can't really say I've read up on sales statistics, etc. - but would it be fair to say Sony epically failed with the PSP and the handheld market in general considering just how successful Nintendo has been in the field? I've never owned a DS, so I can't really comment, but obviously the market share isn't even remotely comparable.

I thought maybe for sure Sony would pull the plug on the handheld market considering Nintendo is the top gun and really the only gun that even matters. The price point for the PS Vita is $250.00 - $300.00 and I think I read somewhere the new DS model will be $250.00. Anyone here planning on getting one of these 'next gen' handheld machines?
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:22 PM   #2
niko
I Run NY.

Default Re: PlayStation Vita

I want one. It's too big though for how they are marketing it, it's the size of the original PSP and heavy. I'm 100% sure they will make a smaller one, even with the 3DS i'm not 100% sure they will (it would be almost too small - the screens) and i'd want that smaller one. I'll probably get it though, i love MH and having two sticks on that game would be 28 kinds of awesome.

SOny needs to market this for what it is, a game machine that is super awesome PLUS can do other things. If they market it like it' some kind of tablet they will lose - as a tablet it reeks. as a ipod type device it sucks. as a game machine that you can also do other things cause of the touch screen, etc. - it rocks.

Sony didn't epicly fail on the PSP however it's success was not because of what they wanted. It was because of MH in Japan. Everyone wanted Monster Hunter, and it was just on PSP, so they needed to buy a PSP. In the US it did ok but owners didn't buy much software so it didn't push volume sales (we all know why).

I have a 3DS btw. I love it but the games are not out yet. I love the DS so it's just natural, its a much better DS, the 3D actually (Surprisingly) works well, it has some neat little tricks, the online actually works, etc. And next week ill have ZELDA OOT which is my favorite game EVER as a handheld game.

Last edited by niko : 06-11-2011 at 09:24 PM.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:08 PM   #3
EnoughSaid
Miami Heat/Arsenal FC

http://insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225657
EnoughSaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:56 PM   #4
PowerGlove
By Any Means

What an awful name. They should have stuck with the NGP name or just called it the PSP2.
PowerGlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:31 PM   #5
heyhey
stay mad golden state

I'm actually a big fan of the PSP. it's the best Handheld of all time imo. 7 year life span, a whole boatload of JRPGS, PSone games, emulators, and all that jazz.

can't wait for Vita
heyhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:41 PM   #6
jaydacris
Rose

interested in vita
hope they dont rely too heavily on touch, while i think it adds great functionality, i still would prefer it as a supplementary feature on games

but i can definitely see where it would enhance the gaming experience
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: