Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Dallas Mavericks Forum

Dallas Mavericks Forum Dallas Mavericks message board - mavs message board - dallas mavericks fan forum

Old 06-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default Dallas Mavericks championship parade

The Jet was on the runway. The Custodian was getting jiggy with it. And Shawn Marion was doing the Dougie. Those were some of Thursday's highlights as the Dallas Mavericks celebrated their NBA world championship with a parade in downtown Dallas that attracted 300,000 folks, and a fan appreciation celebration at American Airlines Center that drew a crowd of about 20,000. There were lots of hugs, kisses, cheers and handshakes as the Mavs celebrated their first NBA title in style. "This is special," J.J. Barea said of the parade. "This is something that's going to stay with me in my heart forever." Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Caron Butler, who worked feverishly to get back on the court after tearing his anterior cruciate ligament on Jan. 1, even poked fun at his attempt to play in the Finals. Butler asked: "Am I cleared [to play] yet? Brian Cardinal started the celebration at the AAC when he came on the stage with a dust pan and a broom, commemorating his nickname as The Custodian. Terry was later introduced to the crowd and went into his airplane motion. Terry then showed off his right biceps -- the one with the tattoo of the Larry O'Brien championship trophy he got before the season started. Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Marion came out of the Mavs' dressing quarters wearing a championship belt with the Mavs' logo on it. Later on stage, Marion did the Dougie Dance and said: "I feel like I'm at a concert. We are the world champions. "We shook up the world. We're world champions, and we look good." When he got on stage, Dirk Nowitzki, the Finals MVP, recalled a time when he didn't look so good. In his rookie year with the Mavs during the lockout-shortened 1998-99 season, Nowitzki said: "I had a bowl cut. I had a bad earring. I had a pinkie ring. I didn't know what to expect." Fort Worth Star-Telegram
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
insidehoops
Administrator

Default Re: Dallas Mavericks championship parade

The joyous scene came Thursday at the end of a parade honoring the NBA champs. An expected crowd of 250,000 - although it may have been more - endured temperatures approaching 90 degrees to enjoy a party 31 years in the making since this one is the first title in Mavericks history. There was still one more layer to the party, a ceremony with 10,000 season-ticket holders inside American Airlines Arena. The plaza around the building was filled to its 3,000-person capacity about two hours before the parade even began. Fans filled the streets and sidewalks all along the roughly mile-long route between the convention center and the arena. Franchise founder Donald Carter and his wife, Linda, for whom he started the club as gift, were in the lead vehicle, a white convertible. AP

"It's unbelievable," Nowitzki said as he took a cigar from teammate Jason Terry before boarding his float. "If it hasn't sunk in yet, it will now. ... We're on the top of the world now so it feels amazing. For 13 years I've waited for this moment. It's amazing and we're all going to enjoy it." AP
Old 06-17-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
insidehoops
Administrator

Default Re: Dallas Mavericks championship parade

"There were two celebrations at the same time," Tyson Chandler said. "When the Heat signed their free agents, I was in the gym by myself celebrating." Chandler made another reference to the Heat's preseason party, when LeBron James vowed that the Heat would win not one, not two, not three, not four, not five, not six, not seven titles. "I hear they do things big in Dallas," Chandler said. "There can't just be one -- two, three, four, five ..." ESPN.com
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: