Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-20-2006, 03:17 PM   #1
Michael Jordan
Banned

Default Is there any other sport where The GOAT is so far ahead of number 2?

Golf-Woods isnt deemed as best golfer ever by much if at all
Baseball- wide open
Football- wide open
Hockey- Gretzky Maybe but again not wide open
Soccer- Pele and Maradonna are neck and neck
Tennis- Federer hasnt overtaken Sampras yet, equal atm
100m- No clear cut
Heavyweight - Ali,Lewis, Marciano, foreman, no clear cut (dont get confused with Alis CHARISMA AND LOOKS)
and we get to Basketball

Nearly everyone, apart from those who just want to be different or rebellious see Michael Jordan as the greatest and way ahead of whoever maybe be ranked at number 2, anyone think of a sport where there is such a clear best ever? i.e the popular phrase "The Michael Jordan of..."
Michael Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:20 PM   #2
BigTicket
Cavs for life

#1. You're a homer

#2. You're wrong, MJ isnt far ahead of everyone else

#3. If you want to see a sport where this is actually true try Sergey Bubka in polevaulting.
BigTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:22 PM   #3
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Jordan
Nearly everyone, apart from those who just want to be different or rebellious see Michael Jordan as the greatest...
Or maybe they are logical and realize that he is not the greatest ever.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:24 PM   #4
vert48
Can You?

You are an idiot.
vert48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:26 PM   #5
vert48
Can You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTicket
#1. You're a homer

#2. You're wrong, MJ isnt far ahead of everyone else

#3. If you want to see a sport where this is actually true try Sergey Bubka in polevaulting.
Bubka is a good example. Karch Kiraly in Volleyball is another example.
vert48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:27 PM   #6
JSub
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Baseball- wide open
Football- wide open
100m- No clear cut
Heavyweight - Ali,Lewis, Marciano, foreman, no clear cut (dont get confused with Alis CHARISMA AND LOOKS)
and we get to Basketball

Nearly everyone, apart from those who just want to be different or rebellious see Michael Jordan as the greatest and way ahead of whoever maybe be ranked at number 2, anyone think of a sport where there is such a clear best ever? i.e the popular phrase "The Michael Jordan of..."

Then would you please name for me a player on par or near par with Gretzky? At the rate he scored goals in Hockey, Jordan would have to score something like 60ppg, every season for his entire career for the same equivalent.
JSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:30 PM   #7
SRZ66
Local High School Star

you're at teh wrong forum to be posting this. no one on here even thinks mj was any good. the majority on ish believes duncan to be the goat right in front of bill russell
SRZ66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:40 PM   #8
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

Quote:
Baseball- wide open
Football- wide open
100m- No clear cut
and we get to Basketball

wow. i really disagree with this, and i'm a huge jordan fan.

gretzky's way out in front in hockey. people whine that he wasn't physical enough, but that didn't stop him from setting every record in the nhl and becoming a winner.

i can't prove it, but i genuinely believe ali is the greatest. bar none. he missed time in his prime because of his politics and still beat all the best of his era and did so in convincing fashion. he could fight with different styles and adjust to any combatant. he had speed, power, and technical precision.

football is impossible to find a GOAT because the positions are so limited. their's probably a lineman out there who was more valuable for the protection he provided aikman and emmitt than either of them were, but we'll never know it.

baseball is too old to pick a best ever. i really believe that it sure as hell can't be babe ruth. sorry but he dominated less than 1/2 of his potential competition because segregation kept him from facing black players, and the game hadn't expanded to the hispanic or asian nations. now there's the steroid allegations pulling down this era's greatest.

tennis i think is still up for grabs, but to me federer is clearly better now than samprass ever was. if you've watched both of them play, you'll see that federer is almost as good a server as pete and much better on volley (he's got better placement on his backhand than anyone i've ever seen), but he needs to show the same longevity to pass the major title king.

and as for the nba, i have personally argued with people for pages and pages on this board about the GOAT. personally i believe it's mj and have a lot of strong arguments to make to that effect, but that doesn't mean magic johnson, wilt chamberlain, kareem abdul-jabbar, and others don't have a case. how far ahead of magic is mj? 1 title, a couple extra years due to not contracting the hiv virus, and some defense. kareem has more mvps, the same number of rings, was legitamently unstoppable, and had the greatest longevity of any player ever (no robert parish and kevin willis don't count because neither played even 10mins a game in their final season). wilt - have you seen wilt's numbers? he had to go up against a team with multiple HoFers every year in boston and new york, so you can hardly hold him accountable if he only took home a couple rings. the gap between mj and competition of his era was a gorge. the gap between mj and the all-time competition is much, much narrower.

those are all just my opinions, but i've watched a hell of lot of sports over the years, and they are pretty well informed.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:43 PM   #9
hateraid
Is it in you?

At Bust-A-Move, I am the greatest player ever and yet to be defeated in an 11 game series. I say that's the widest sports gap ever.
I'm on par with that Japanese kid who eats hotdogs really fast as the best at his sport.
hateraid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:46 PM   #10
Voratian
Serious playground baller

Maradona isn't as close to Pele as people think.
Voratian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:46 PM   #11
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

At least Jordanstar could come up with data.

Mario Andretti could probably go up on that list.

Baseball's not Wide Open. In a poll of 1000 people, I'd be shocked if Ruth didn't get 900 votes. With only Aaron and Mays recieving any votes from anyone who can think back to before 1990. Ruth's probably the most dominant figure of a particular sport.
In this country, Pele is probably considered just as dominant, as not enough people are refined enough to know even as much as Maradonna.
Gretzky holds a similar standing in Hockey, as the next in line among the greats are more well rounded, like Orr, so their games don't translate as well to casual fans.
In fact, if you do consider Wilt second, he's probably the most highly regarded of all the number two guys listed.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:50 PM   #12
hateraid
Is it in you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
At least Jordanstar could come up with data.

Mario Andretti could probably go up on that list.

Baseball's not Wide Open. In a poll of 1000 people, I'd be shocked if Ruth didn't get 900 votes. With only Aaron and Mays recieving any votes from anyone who can think back to before 1990. Ruth's probably the most dominant figure of a particular sport.
In this country, Pele is probably considered just as dominant, as not enough people are refined enough to know even as much as Maradonna.
Gretzky holds a similar standing in Hockey, as the next in line among the greats are more well rounded, like Orr, so their games don't translate as well to casual fans.
In fact, if you do consider Wilt second, he's probably the most highly regarded of all the number two guys listed.

Agree 100% with everything.
Although in hockey you can make a case for Mario challenging for the greatest hockey player ever. Sure there were unfortunate circumstances but the ability was clearly seen.
hateraid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:57 PM   #13
Sharas
Great college starter

huge majority of people that actually watched both pele and maradona says pele was clearly better
Sharas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 04:06 PM   #14
JalenRawley
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSub
Then would you please name for me a player on par or near par with Gretzky? At the rate he scored goals in Hockey, Jordan would have to score something like 60ppg, every season for his entire career for the same equivalent.

Bobby Hull.
JalenRawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 04:08 PM   #15
SsKSpurs21
National High School Star

Default .

wayne gretzky is deemed "the great one". name another player that had his jersey number retired by EVERY franchise in the league once he retired?

and Michael Jordan is arguably the best, not unarguably. a case can be made for Kareem, Wilt, Bill Russell, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson.

and Babe Ruth is the greatest baseball player that ever lived. i dont follow baseball much but thats what i learned from the movie "the Sandlot" hahaha.
SsKSpurs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: