Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Chicago Bulls Forum

Chicago Bulls Forum Chicago Bulls message board - chicago bulls fan forum

Old 06-14-2011, 06:43 PM   #1
jphoc13
Can barely lace up my sneakers

jphoc13 has an OK reputation so far
Default The looming lockout thread

The skinny:

The players currently get 57% of all revenue, the owners want that to be at 50%.

The owners also want to go to a hard cap. Which means no more exceptions to go over the cap. Which would be bad for the Bulls, could mean an inability to sign any free agents this year.

The owners are hell bent on gettign what they want and are being more aggressive than the NFL owners are. So if we take note from teh NFL season or non season, then it is pretty realistic to think we will lose a year from the NBA.

It's gloomy to say the least. But if the players do have a strong union what they could do is tell the 400 players that caving to 50% will only hurt the superstars in this league (the 20 highest paid).
jphoc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:30 PM   #2
ljsbb27
Local High School Star

ljsbb27 is popular on this boardljsbb27 is popular on this boardljsbb27 is popular on this boardljsbb27 is popular on this board
Default Re: The looming lockout thread

The lockout is something no fan wants to happen. Owners don't want it to happen and the players don't either. Sure, they may say different to try to prove a point or to stay their ground so they don't same weaker to the opposition but nobody wants a lockout. It doesn't benefit the owners or the players. The fans are the ones that suffer the most.

Hopefully they come to a compromise. I know that it's alot easier said than done, but if the players can agree to share more of the revenue with the owners then the owners can agree to allowing the soft cap of remaining in place.
ljsbb27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
jphoc13

Some good news:

NEW YORK -- In a somewhat conciliatory gesture, NBA owners relaxed their stance on guaranteed contracts Friday during the latest round of collective bargaining negotiations to replace the labor agreement that expires at the end of this month.

The players welcomed the move but cautioned there was still a wide gulf to be bridged. The sides are still hundreds of millions of dollars apart on how to split revenues, and the owners are still asking for a hard salary cap system.

Another labor meeting is set for next Tuesday, and commissioner David Stern said the onus will be on the players to make a new economic proposal.

"The time to have an optimistic or pessimistic view is at the close of the day Tuesday. That's an important day," Stern said after the sides met for nearly five hours. "Time is running out, but both parties seem, at least to me, intent to make a deal by June 30."

The question of guaranteed contracts has been called a "blood issue" in the past by union director Billy Hunter, and the owners had earlier proposed a new system in which all contracts would contain only partial guarantees.

But that proposal was taken off the table Tuesday, with the owners agreeing to continue with the current system in which guarantees on individual contracts are a negotiable issue on a case-by-case basis.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:03 AM   #4
jphoc13

Rumor has it that both sides are actually getting closer and closer to an agreement.

Thh whole process has been much more secretive than the NFL. The players actually realize that they have to give up a lot.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:50 PM   #5
ljsbb27
Local High School Star

ljsbb27 is popular on this boardljsbb27 is popular on this boardljsbb27 is popular on this boardljsbb27 is popular on this board

What do my other Bulls fans around here think is going on?

Im hearing and reading conflicting reports...
ljsbb27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:45 PM   #6
jphoc13

My last update seemed to be premature. It seems there is still a ways to go. The players and owners were supposedly in agreement on 53% revenue sharing, a decent compromise if you ask me, and keeping the soft cap so super teams could still exist.

But it seemd the owners still want more than what the players are willing to give up.

Keep in mind this is a lockout, meanign the players will have to cave in order ot play.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: