Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-21-2011, 03:51 AM   #31
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Default Re: Kyrie Irving is the next big bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiiu
lol @this athletic shit. I would much rather my PG be like CP3, Dwill, Nash than Rose, Westbrick . A bunch of non skilled, low IQ chucking PG.

And Kyrie can throw down 360 windmills and reverse dunks with the best of them. No PG can routinely dunk in the half court anyways so I dont get where athleticism comes in at. He has a better handle than any PG on that list besides Dwill and Paul. And a much better jumper than all besides Nash and Dwill.
Athleticism is about more than just dunking... It is about ability to hit high speeds and still maintain body control. That is probably THE most important part of elite athleticism for point guards, in fact.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:58 AM   #32
kaiiu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Athleticism is about more than just dunking... It is about ability to hit high speeds and still maintain body control. That is probably THE most important part of elite athleticism for point guards, in fact.
lol go look at some of Irving highlights, his change of direction off the dribble and body control IS GREAT. he can contort his body and get a layup
kaiiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:19 AM   #33
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
lol go look at some of Irving highlights, his change of direction off the dribble and body control IS GREAT. he can contort his body and get a layup
He has very good athleticism. I just don't think that he is quite as fast or quick (which is part of athleticism) as Chris Paul.... And, Paul's ability to breakdown defenses with his quickness and speed is really what makes him so effective.

You are preaching to the choir, though... I've been high on Kyrie since I watched his high school tapes. His early-season dominance at Duke only re-affirmed what I already thought.

A lot of people don't realize that the Irving they saw in the tournament was only at about 60-70%... He was nowhere near healthy, he hadn't been practicing, and he was out of shape...

And he was STILL far and away Duke's best player in the tournament and scored 29 points on 9-of-15 shooting against Arizona in the team's loss. He was the only guy to show up in that game for Duke. Yet, people use it as a reason that he will be a bust on the next level... Very strange.... A guy playing at 70% going against arguably the most athletic team in the nation and scoring 29 points on 60+% shooting...

Irving is legit.

I'm just interested to see who we pair him with. I'm becoming more and more sold on Valanciunas. The guy is a legit 7-footer with a giant wingspan, great defense and he is deadly on the pick-and-roll (where Kyrie will excel).

Irving/Valanciunas could be a nice foundation for the future.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:24 AM   #34
kaiiu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
He has very good athleticism. I just don't think that he is quite as fast or quick (which is part of athleticism) as Chris Paul.... And, Paul's ability to breakdown defenses with his quickness and speed is really what makes him so effective.

You are preaching to the choir, though... I've been high on Kyrie since I watched his high school tapes. His early-season dominance at Duke only re-affirmed what I already thought.

A lot of people don't realize that the Irving they saw in the tournament was only at about 60-70%... He was nowhere near healthy, he hadn't been practicing, and he was out of shape...

And he was STILL far and away Duke's best player in the tournament and scored 29 points on 9-of-15 shooting against Arizona in the team's loss. He was the only guy to show up in that game for Duke. Yet, people use it as a reason that he will be a bust on the next level... Very strange.... A guy playing at 70% going against arguably the most athletic team in the nation and scoring 29 points on 60+% shooting...

Irving is legit.

I'm just interested to see who we pair him with. I'm becoming more and more sold on Valanciunas. The guy is a legit 7-footer with a giant wingspan, great defense and he is deadly on the pick-and-roll (where Kyrie will excel).

Irving/Valanciunas could be a nice foundation for the future.
Yep. Ppl are only hating on him because hes going to be a Cav. Mostly bitter Clipper fans and ex Cavs/Lebrick fans. I have yet to see anybody else get hated on like this in this draft And even if this draft had all of its players who returned coming out, Irving was stil by far the best player and most likely # 1 pick

ad idk about that Jonas guy. Who knows when he can get over here. What u think about Kanter?

Last edited by kaiiu : 06-21-2011 at 04:26 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:59 AM   #35
noob cake
College star

Kyrie Irving will be legendary. Haters take note.

Size: Great for PG, one of the biggest PG in the league
Athleticism: Above average for PG, near Chris Paul level, one notch below Rose/Wall
Shooting: Amazing shooter at 19, great mechanics and release
Intangibles: Irving can control the tempo of a game like a season vet. You won't see Westbrick or Rose style point guard play.

Bonus: Really freaking good at splitting defense and making layups
noob cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:54 AM   #36
kaiiu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob cake
Kyrie Irving will be legendary. Haters take note.

Size: Great for PG, one of the biggest PG in the league
Athleticism: Above average for PG, near Chris Paul level, one notch below Rose/Wall
Shooting: Amazing shooter at 19, great mechanics and release
Intangibles: Irving can control the tempo of a game like a season vet. You won't see Westbrick or Rose style point guard play.

Bonus: Really freaking good at splitting defense and making layups
Old 06-21-2011, 12:03 PM   #37
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Quote:

God forbid he play like Derrick Rose.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:05 PM   #38
noob cake
College star

Quote:

Clippers will be whacking themselves over the head for the next decade.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:08 PM   #39
KingBeasley08
World's Finest

Irving will be Mike Conley type player. Cavs should take D-Will. That mans gonna be a stud
KingBeasley08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:12 PM   #40
noob cake
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
God forbid he play like Derrick Rose.

Point guards are fundamentally undersized, a great disadvantage at the end of the game try to get a shot off. NBA defense is 50% effort, when you have a 6'7" SG/SF trying to defend you, it sucks to be small.

Besides Derrick Rose is a chucking PG in the mold of Westbrick. Rose's MVP is a result of the media hype last year; one of the worst MVP ever.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:06 PM   #41
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:40 PM   #42
1~Gibson~1
NBA Finals

its a PGs league and thats way im more than happy that we're likely gonna tkae Kyrie. i dont think he'll be as explosive as Derrick Rose but i think he'll be more like a Devin Harris type guy, but a better passer and game manager. i guess you can save Harris's offense + Kidd's leadership/game management skills.
1~Gibson~1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:40 PM   #43
Lordragoonx1x
I brick open layups

The cavs are pretty much gonna make Irving as their savior. That is a lot of pressure on him and I don't think he will be able to win Cleveland a chip.
Lordragoonx1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:27 PM   #44
ctown4eva
Kids at the park dunk on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordragoonx1x
The cavs are pretty much gonna make Irving as their savior. That is a lot of pressure on him and I don't think he will be able to win Cleveland a chip.

They'll be in the high lotto again next year, and at least another lotto year after that ...

Irving won't be alone.
ctown4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:46 PM   #45
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordragoonx1x
Nobody in Cleveland thinks Irving is 'the savior.'
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: