Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-24-2013, 10:51 AM   #571
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Official 2014 FIFA World Cup Qualifying Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Young
I think nearly everyone agrees with this, that a Yugoslavian team would be one of the best teams in the world on paper.

I have a feeling though it would be like the dutch, where they're always self destructing and underachieving, because Serbia and Croatia are already doing that every major tournament anyways, and since it's had a national team, Bosnia hasn't lived up to its potential and talent level at all.

Bosnia in the past few years have only started to become a major player in terms on international football. Before 2008 they were a mid ranking team and they almost qualified for two tournies but got some bad draws in the playoff matches(Portugal)

Assuming the Yugo team didn't have internal chemistry issues(and lets say they got along) they would be the best in the world.. They would have an amazing defense that would separate them from Holland fist of all and balkan players usually are tough and aggressive players.

Just imagine the talent
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:52 AM   #572
LJJ
Extra Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoah10115
That's exaggerated and the point remains that they should have formed their protest at halftime. FIFA hardly does anything and they often choose the worst times to do it. But I don't see why they'd do this. Costa Rica has nothing to complain about. They lost. Had they gotten a good result they'd be quiet.

No shit sherlock. Of course the winner isn't going to complain, I don't see the relevance of that at all.

Look at this shit:

If can look at that picture and really believe there was no valid reason to postpone the match fandom is getting the better of you.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #573
alenleomessi
GloryhunterSinceThe90s

you p*ssies its freaking snow they aint gonna melt
playing on snow is awesome
alenleomessi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #574
Nick Young
WE THE PEOPLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
Bosnia in the past few years have only started to become a major player in terms on international football. Before 2008 they were a mid ranking team and they almost qualified for two tournies but got some bad draws in the playoff matches(Portugal)

Assuming the Yugo team didn't have internal chemistry issues(and lets say they got along) they would be the best in the world.. They would have an amazing defense that would separate them from Holland fist of all and balkan players usually are tough and aggressive players.

Just imagine the talent
Misimovic, Ibisovic, Begovic, they could do so much better. And imagine if they had Ibra, Misimovic and Ibra would be amazing together.

I don't know what the problem is with yugo countries. No strong leaders on the teams? Just look at the Serbian U21s self destructing with racist attacks vs England recently. They seem to lack composure, like many talented African national teams do too.
Nick Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #575
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Young
Misimovic, Ibisovic, Begovic, they could do so much better. And imagine if they had Ibra, Misimovic and Ibra would be amazing together.

I don't know what the problem is with yugo countries. No strong leaders on the teams? Just look at the Serbian U21s self destructing with racist attacks vs England recently. They seem to lack composure, like many talented African national teams do too.

Balkan teams are doing fine. It's really tough to qualify in UEFA and every major tournament there's good squads not making it. The only team that has been choking is Serbia considering their talent and "stature". Just look at their backline: Ivanovic-Subotic-Nastasic-Koralov That's not even including Vidic who retired from the NT. I think the problem is not leaders but more corruption in their organizations... It's really corrupt, for example I heard that the coaches were not playing their best players so they can start young players playing domestically hoping to secure a transfer fee.

Analysis of Balkan squads:
-Croatia is a great squad and they've qualified for every tourny besides the 2010 WC. They gave Spain and France a run for the money this past Euro. Still a dangerous team and they have the chance to be a darkhorse in every tourny
-It seems Bosnia has finally reached the top-tier status and shit ton of talent as well. Very good offensively but not sure about their defense
-Serbia has the talent but they are a mess interally. Alot of politics happening
-Slovenia is average at best
-Montenegro is a damn fine team for a country of 700k.. They lead England in their group
-Albania is actually on the upside as well. They are second in their group and have a chance to finish first. They have a corrupt organization and a shitty/corrupt league but the players for the NT busts their balls for the NT and go 200%. The players aren't talented but that's other story. Alot of successful players of Albanian origin abroad as well(Shaqiri, XHaka, Behrami, Dzemalli, Januzaj)
-Greece has historically been a solid side. Not very talented but a good defensive sided team and they seem to have a tough spirit
-Macedonia is pretty much shit. The only player of relevance is Goran Pandev. They don't have any decent players of Macedonian descent abroad either. But they do have a nice stadium

Not sure about Bulgaria or Romania.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #576
AirTupac
Mitch Kupcake

@Nick Young Its not fair to say we haven't lived up to our potential. We're a fairly new country and we were damn unlucky in the past 2 qualifiers with our draws. We had Spain in our first group and we managed to finish second ahead of Turkey in the past World Cup qualifiers. We then managed to draw Portugal in the playoffs where we lost. In the Euro qualifiers we came in second behind France; would have finished ahead of France because in the final game between them, they were given a very unfair penalty even though the foul committed was outside of the box. We then drew Portugal again in the playoffs.

At the moment, England has scored the most goals in the qualifiers with 20, Bosnia and Germany are tied for 2nd at 18.

Dzeko is the leading scorer in the qualifiers with 7 and Ibsevic is 3rd.

@Knickballer Just wondering were are you from? You're right on how Bosnia's defense is suspect. They played fantastic defensively against Greece, not giving them any space to breath, but then again Greece isn't that great offensively. However we do have some young talent coming up that will be great for our defense with players such as Kolasinac who was the captain of the German youth team and currently starts for Schalke. Side note, it would be great if Halilovic chose Bosnia as well instead of Croatia.

Also if Brazil doesn't do well against Russia in their next match, Bosnia will move up ahead of them in the rankings. I would have never thought we'd be ranked higher than Brazil

Last edited by AirTupac : 03-24-2013 at 12:03 PM.
AirTupac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:04 PM   #577
LJJ
Extra Cheese

If a player learned everything about football in a different country though, does he really still count as a "Yugoslavian" talent?

Look at a guy like De Guzman for instance, who recently made his Dutch NT debut. If you didn't know any better you would definitely recognize him as a Dutch footballer with an extremely Dutch-bred skillset, yet he was born in Canada.

The same goes for guys like Shaqiri, Behrami, Misimovic, Pjanic, Kuzmanovic, Subotic, etc. It's nice that some of them want to go back and play for the country their parents grew up in, but you can't really disgregard that they aren't "Yugoslavian" footballers.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:18 PM   #578
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
If a player learned everything about football in a different country though, does he really still count as a "Yugoslavian" talent?

Look at a guy like De Guzman for instance, who recently made his Dutch NT debut. If you didn't know any better you would definitely recognize him as a Dutch footballer with an extremely Dutch-bred skillset, yet he was born in Canada.

The same goes for guys like Shaqiri, Behrami, Misimovic, Pjanic, Kuzmanovic, Subotic, etc. It's nice that some of them want to go back and play for the country their parents grew up in, but you can't really disgregard that they aren't "Yugoslavian" footballers.

First of all I don't think any of them consider themselves "Yugoslavian" anymore. They'll either consider themselves Bosnian, serbian or Albanian.. They'd be insulted if you call them Yugoslavian

You do bring up a fair and valid point though. Most of these guys were born in their respective countries and moved to the West in the 90's(most likely due to war) A player like Subotic was born and raised in Yugoslavia then moved to USA for like 3 years and all of a sudden he's an American product? And for the players like Pjanic we aren't saying they are a product of Bosnia but that he's a Bosnian player.

I believe National teams should be just that though. Players playing for their ethnicity. For example I don't think a player like Shaqiri should play for Switzerland or a player like Khedira play for Germany. It sounds very xenophobic and probably racist but that's my view on the situation.

BTW, players like Shaqiri and Behrami do play for Switzerland.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #579
LJJ
Extra Cheese

Quote:
First of all I don't think any of them consider themselves "Yugoslavian" anymore. They'll either consider themselves Bosnian, serbian or Albanian.. They'd be insulted if you call them Yugoslavian

You do bring up a fair and valid point though. Most of these guys were born in their respective countries and moved to the West in the 90's(most likely due to war) A player like Subotic was born and raised in Yugoslavia then moved to USA for like 3 years and all of a sudden he's an American product? And for the players like Pjanic we aren't saying they are a product of Bosnia but that he's a Bosnian player.

I believe National teams should be just that though. Players playing for their ethnicity. For example I don't think a player like Shaqiri should play for Switzerland or a player like Khedira play for Germany. It sounds very xenophobic and probably racist but that's my view on the situation.

BTW, players like Shaqiri and Behrami do play for Switzerland.

Well, that's why I put Yugoslavian in quotation marks. I'm not the one who brought a potential Yugoslavian team up in the first place though.

But yes, your view seems very strange to me. The current system is that a player's national team participation is contigent on: 1. citizenship and 2. personal choice when relevant. Which seems like a logical way to do this, except I admit to be annoyed by country who dole out citizenship to virtually anybody.

Your belief is that national team participation is purely based on heritage. In actuality your view means that there should only be one national team: Kenya. Since as far as we know we can trace all human life back to Kenya.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #580
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
Well, that's why I put Yugoslavian in quotation marks. I'm not the one who brought a potential Yugoslavian team up in the first place though.

But yes, your view seems very strange to me. The current system is that a player's national team participation is contigent on: 1. citizenship and 2. personal choice when relevant. Which seems like a logical way to do this, except I admit to be annoyed by country who dole out citizenship to virtually anybody.

Your belief is that national team participation is purely based on heritage. In actuality your view means that there should only be one national team: Kenya. Since as far as we know we can trace all human life back to Kenya.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #581
LJJ
Extra Cheese

Quote:

Well that's your belief.

Someone is Bosnian when his dad is Bosnian. Even if he was born in a different country, has a different mothertongue, doesn't even speak Bosnian and identifies with the country he grew up in.

That is the view you perpetrate. Essentially that national identity is inherited.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #582
AirTupac
Mitch Kupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
Well that's your belief.

Someone is Bosnian when his dad is Bosnian. Even if he was born in a different country, has a different mothertongue, doesn't even speak Bosnian and identifies with the country he grew up in.

That is the view you perpetrate. Essentially that national identity is inherited.

Well in reality, everyone on the Bosnian team speaks Bosnian as their first language.
AirTupac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:22 PM   #583
Nick Young
WE THE PEOPLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
No shit sherlock. Of course the winner isn't going to complain, I don't see the relevance of that at all.

Look at this shit:

If can look at that picture and really believe there was no valid reason to postpone the match fandom is getting the better of you.
Man up euro-wuss.
Nick Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:22 PM   #584
LJJ
Extra Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirTupac
Well in reality, everyone on the Bosnian team speaks Bosnian as their first language.

I doubt a guy like Misimovic speaks better Bosnian than German, but that's fine.

I don't deny anyone who has Bosnian citizenship and identifies as Bosnian to play for that team.

My problem is with people like knickballer who feel that someone like Zlatan, a guy born and raised in Sweden, should only be able to play for Bosnia even if they clearly want to play for the country they were born in, raised in and identify with.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:34 PM   #585
niko
I Run NY.

They played half the match in the snow, there was like 40 minutes to go, and Costa Rica was losing and decided they'd rather the match be cancelled and replayed. NO SHIT. They should have protested earlier then. Protesting at the point they did is ridiculous. Both teams played in the same weather

We lost, therefore it's unfair.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: