Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-03-2011, 08:49 PM   #76
Bankshøt
I airball my layups

Default Re: Official 2014 FIFA World Cup Qualifying Thread

Singapore has development into their football academy it is probably the best in south east asia maybe even all of asia besides Korea, Japan, Iran, Saudi, Qatar, China, and Azerbaijan who shouldnt play in europe they are an asian nation. Malaysia on the other hand doesnt have a national football acamdey that has produced anyone of decent that I know of. Singapore they have some players already are stars in the Laotian and Vietnamese football leagues, dont even know any malaysian footballers. Man these tow east timor guys tho, how can such a tiny island nation produce such talents!
Bankshøt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:58 PM   #77
kaiteng
CONGRATS MAN XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankshøt
Singapore has development into their football academy it is probably the best in south east asia maybe even all of asia besides Korea, Japan, Iran, Saudi, Qatar, China, and Azerbaijan who shouldnt play in europe they are an asian nation. Malaysia on the other hand doesnt have a national football acamdey that has produced anyone of decent that I know of. Singapore they have some players already are stars in the Laotian and Vietnamese football leagues, dont even know any malaysian footballers. Man these tow east timor guys tho, how can such a tiny island nation produce such talents!

The biggest name I've ever heard out of Singapore is Indra Sahdan Daud, and he can't even crack an MLS squad.

And, Vietnamese league is okay in that region, but Laotian football league as good as the former?

And, beside being a gimmick account, are you really an "Asian soccer expert"?
kaiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:08 PM   #78
Bankshøt
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiteng

The biggest name I've ever heard out of Singapore is Indra Sahdan Daud, and he can't even crack an MLS squad.

And, Vietnamese league is okay in that region, but Laotian football league as good as the former?

And, beside being a gimmick account, are you really an "Asian soccer expert"?
shut up americancentric does it mean a player is not of worth if he cant make it to the "MLS" there are more leagues in the world for example maybe many asian players want to stay in asia
Bankshøt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:15 PM   #79
kaiteng
CONGRATS MAN XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankshøt
shut up americancentric does it mean a player is not of worth if he cant make it to the "MLS" there are more leagues in the world for example maybe many asian players want to stay in asia

Why don't a player in any Southeast Asian leagues want to play in foreign leagues with much better incomes? Well, there are many reasonable reasons not to But if you are able to, why not?

Think about it. How many notable South East Asian players are ever to crack a roster in either K-League or J-League, the two best soccer leagues in East Asia? One for the former (Piyapong Pue-on, the best soccer player ever come out of Thailand), none for the latter.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:54 AM   #80
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownmamba00
howw was de atmosfere? Must be exciting

The atmosphere was a lot better than I expected. Taiwanese don't really care much about soccer (or so I thought) they seemed much more into baseball and basketball. The crowd was raucous, lots of supporters wearing jerseys and the team played above their heads to get the W over a more skilled Malaysian team. Great venue as well, new downtown stadium that was super easy to get in and out of with seating for about 20K.

The problem for Southeast Asian nations is that the athletes from countries like Korea and Taiwan, countries that are much more modern than most of Asia (Malaysia isn't that bad but not as wealthy as the previously mentioned two), are bigger and stronger than their SE Asian brethren, so even though Malaysia has a more skilled side, the Taiwanese had more size and strength and were able to win many of the battles in the air.

I think in Asia, over the next 25 years you will see Korea, Japan, Taiwan and of course China separate themselves from the rest of Asia (Oriental Asia) because Northeast Asians (the yellow ones -sorry to be crass) are becoming much bigger and stronger than Southeast Asians (the brown ones -Thailand, Phlippines, Indonesia, Malaysia etc...).
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:45 AM   #81
kaiteng
CONGRATS MAN XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
I think in Asia, over the next 25 years you will see Korea, Japan, Taiwan and of course China separate themselves from the rest of Asia (Oriental Asia) because Northeast Asians (the yellow ones -sorry to be crass) are becoming much bigger and stronger than Southeast Asians (the brown ones -Thailand, Phlippines, Indonesia, Malaysia etc...).
They, the East Asian teams, are already do. South Korea and Japan are strong teams and China is coming up. Southeast Asian teams are mediocre at best, all of them. None of them have either strong soccer infrastructures or pools of talents.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:32 AM   #82
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiteng
They, the East Asian teams, are already do. South Korea and Japan are strong teams and China is coming up. Southeast Asian teams are mediocre at best, all of them. None of them have either strong soccer infrastructures or pools of talents.

This is true, but I was talking merely in terms of physicality. Taiwan for example doesn't really put any effort into soccer (unlike Japan, Korea, and China) and have nowhere near the skill of most other Asian teams, but were able to beat Malaysia (a soccer mad country) by being bigger and stronger.

Soccer is life and death in Southeast Asia, people in Thailand committed suicide when they didn't get tickets to see Liverpool play in Bangkok a couple of years ago, EVERYONE rocks jerseys 24/7 in those countries, and all the big games, and even the weekly EPL games are played in public areas on big screens.

The passion for the game in Southeast Asia is much much much greater than it is in Northeast Asia, but the trouble is the infrastructure and the size of the players will hold these countries back. I do however think that Vietnam or Thailand may sneak into a World Cup, next time an Asian country hosts.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:53 AM   #83
NauruDude
Banned

I've heard that Indonesia is the country most people play football. But they still suck? Is that due to the people of that area being to small/not strong enough or just no infrastructure?

Also I don't ****ing understand why Qatar got 2022. I think the next Asian world cup should have been in 2026 in either India or China. Those are so big markets that are almost yet to be introduced to football, in both those countries football isnt the runaway most popular sport, basketball and cricket being more or equally popular.

Also why are African countries able to produce skilled footballers out of poverty (Samuel Eto'o) but Southeast Asian countries produce players who can be at best good players in the K-League?
NauruDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:03 AM   #84
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NauruDude
I've heard that Indonesia is the country most people play football. But they still suck? Is that due to the people of that area being to small/not strong enough or just no infrastructure?

Also I don't ****ing understand why Qatar got 2022. I think the next Asian world cup should have been in 2026 in either India or China. Those are so big markets that are almost yet to be introduced to football, in both those countries football isnt the runaway most popular sport, basketball and cricket being more or equally popular.

Also why are African countries able to produce skilled footballers out of poverty (Samuel Eto'o) but Southeast Asian countries produce players who can be at best good players in the K-League?

Indonesia is the most populous SEA country so it makes sense that it would have the most footballers.

Qatar bought the 2022 WC, their hosting the event is still in doubt in my opinion as Sepp Blatter still isn't out of hot water.

Africa has many of the same problems as Southeast Asia (lack of infrastructure in the sport, poor pitch conditions, poor equipment, poor coaching at the lower levels etc...) but African players are bigger and stronger. To become a world class player you have to be the 'total package' and when you are only 5'4" it is difficult to raise your skill level to a point where it nullifies your physical shortcomings.

Southeast Asia is INSANELY MAD about soccer, and they play a spirited style, but it is also a style that can be neutralized by stronger sides. There is hope though, the coaching is getting better, Southeast Asian countries are becoming more developed (they're actually much much much richer than African countries) and there is money there to build world class programs, but unfortunately there is a ceiling.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:05 AM   #85
NauruDude
Banned

Quote:
Indonesia is the most populous SEA country so it makes sense that it would have the most footballers.

Qatar bought the 2022 WC, their hosting the event is still in doubt in my opinion as Sepp Blatter still isn't out of hot water.

Africa has many of the same problems as Southeast Asia (lack of infrastructure in the sport, poor pitch conditions, poor equipment, poor coaching at the lower levels etc...) but African players are bigger and stronger. To become a world class player you have to be the 'total package' and when you are only 5'4" it is difficult to raise your skill level to a point where it nullifies your physical shortcomings.

Southeast Asia is INSANELY MAD about soccer, and they play a spirited style, but it is also a style that can be neutralized by stronger sides. There is hope though, the coaching is getting better, Southeast Asian countries are becoming more developed (they're actually much much much richer than African countries) and there is money there to build world class programs, but unfortunately there is a ceiling.

No I've heard that Indonesia has MOST amateur footballers in WORLD. Ahead of USA and Brazil.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:29 AM   #86
iamgine

Quote:
No I've heard that Indonesia has MOST amateur footballers in WORLD. Ahead of USA and Brazil.
Not true.
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:31 AM   #87
NauruDude
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgine
Not true.
http://visindavefur.hi.is/svar.php?id=2646

According to this website (Icelandic), 18 million US play football regularly, 10 million Indonesians, 7,4 Mexicans, 7,2 Chinese, 7 Brazilians and 6,3 millions Germans.

Dont know theyre source but that website is pretty well trusted in Iceland and run by the University of Iceland.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:31 AM   #88
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

That probably goes to Brazil..

Like others mentioned there is a lack of infrastructure in those countries. Young kids just don't have the chance as a kid from Netherlands
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #89
kaiteng
CONGRATS MAN XD

Quote:
This is true, but I was talking merely in terms of physicality. Taiwan for example doesn't really put any effort into soccer (unlike Japan, Korea, and China) and have nowhere near the skill of most other Asian teams, but were able to beat Malaysia (a soccer mad country) by being bigger and stronger.

Soccer is life and death in Southeast Asia, people in Thailand committed suicide when they didn't get tickets to see Liverpool play in Bangkok a couple of years ago, EVERYONE rocks jerseys 24/7 in those countries, and all the big games, and even the weekly EPL games are played in public areas on big screens.

The passion for the game in Southeast Asia is much much much greater than it is in Northeast Asia, but the trouble is the infrastructure and the size of the players will hold these countries back. I do however think that Vietnam or Thailand may sneak into a World Cup, next time an Asian country hosts.
Soccer is big in SEA just because people there MADLY love to bet on soccer, and the fact that there is no other internationally played pro sports they are actually good at. How madly they love to bet? You can easily find online betting site ads in either Vietnamese or Thai languages during EPL games.

And the fact that those SEA countries' officials, except Singapore, are still much corrupt, soccer developments there won't progress fast.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:52 PM   #90
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

Quote:
Finished you can watch Laos vs. China on 23rd an 28th
Damn, so is Cambodia eliminated?
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: