Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 02-26-2011, 03:35 PM   #1
dd24
College superstar

Default Finally, Kuester Will Be Gone

This really couldn't make me happier. While we didn't get the trade we were looking for we will be getting a new head coach. That's definitely a step in the right direction. I had mentioned in other threads that no FA would sign with us if Kuester was the coach. All the guys in the NBA see how much all the players in Detroit don't like their coach. Nobody wants to play for someone like Kuester. Let him be an assistant somewhere. He's not a head coach, period.

The one thing that worries me is we haven't hired a good coach in a long time. When we had a chance last time for someone like Avery Johnson we passed them all up for Kuester which really left me like this I knew at that point Joe D wasn't planning on winning any time soon..... While Walker will be an interim coach for the rest of the season the next hiring will speak volumes to me. If they go out and get a guy who sucks again I'll know where Joe D thinks this team is headed. I wasn't even all that thrilled with Larry Brown. Honestly the last decent coach I think we had was Carlisle. I know not everybody liked him but the guy always has a way to win. We need to find someone like that again.

Quote:
Look for the Detroit Pistons to have a new coach by next week. It sends a horrible, horrible message to make a coaching change after the apparent and indefensible protest staged Friday morning by five Pistons players, who skipped Friday’s shootaround in Philadelphia in what the Detroit News and Detroit Free Press report was an organized attempt to make their disdain for coach John Kuester as publicly clear as possible. ESPN.com

Dissatisfaction among Pistons vets with Kuester’s strategy, rotations and communication skills has been one of the season’s longest-running story lines. The passing of Thursday’s trade deadline with no escape routes for some of those vets -- with Detroit unwilling to trade Tayshaun Prince unless the receiving team was willing to absorb the millions left on Rip Hamilton’s contract -- has clearly ramped up player frustration. ESPN.com

It’s gotten so ugly that the Pistons can’t possibly save face no matter what happens next. So trying to restore some semblance of order, now that they’ve lost the opportunity to trade Prince or Hamilton away this week, is the only reasonable counter they can muster. The most sensible scenario from here? Detroit has Sunday and Monday off after the Philadelphia game and a home game Saturday against Utah. That creates a window to allow Kuester to volunteer to “resign” -- with a paid-off contract -- and enable Dumars to install Pistons assistant Darrell Walker as interim coach for the rest of the season. ESPN.com
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:01 PM   #2
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Default Re: Finally, Kuester Will Be Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
This really couldn't make me happier. While we didn't get the trade we were looking for we will be getting a new head coach. That's definitely a step in the right direction. I had mentioned in other threads that no FA would sign with us if Kuester was the coach. All the guys in the NBA see how much all the players in Detroit don't like their coach. Nobody wants to play for someone like Kuester. Let him be an assistant somewhere. He's not a head coach, period.

The one thing that worries me is we haven't hired a good coach in a long time. When we had a chance last time for someone like Avery Johnson we passed them all up for Kuester which really left me like this I knew at that point Joe D wasn't planning on winning any time soon..... While Walker will be an interim coach for the rest of the season the next hiring will speak volumes to me. If they go out and get a guy who sucks again I'll know where Joe D thinks this team is headed. I wasn't even all that thrilled with Larry Brown. Honestly the last decent coach I think we had was Carlisle. I know not everybody liked him but the guy always has a way to win. We need to find someone like that again.

I generally disagree with the sentiments surrounding Kuester's ability, but there has been enough argument about that.

At this point, its time for a new coach. I kinda hope Joe D does it himself. Go down to the bench and maybe get a better grasp of what you have to work with. I think Joe commands respect from this group too. He has Brian Hill and generally solid, experienced assistants to help him with the day to day.

FTR, I don't think we passed on Avery as much as the owner didn't want to pay Flip,Curry and another expensive coach at the same time.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus

FTR, I don't think we passed on Avery as much as the owner didn't want to pay Flip,Curry and another expensive coach at the same time.

Absolutely, it was about money. You pay for what you get....

I'd love to see Laimbeer get a chance. I know that he and Dumars haven't really got along but I really think that guy could be a great coach in the NBA. The other guy who really needs a shot at a head coaching job is Patrick Ewing. He always seems to get overlooked when it comes to head coaching jobs. I think having a former NBA big man like Ewing or Laimbeer would really help with the development of some of our young big guys (Monroe, Jerebko, Daye, etc).
Old 02-28-2011, 11:20 AM   #4
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

stein doesnt know what hes talking about. its all speculation. I dont think you let Q go right now, as it sends the wrong message to the petulant players. But, yeah, it hasnt worked. THey need to move on, but I dont expect a change until the sale of the team or the offseason.
boozehound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:53 AM   #5
dd24
College superstar

Yeah, from what I've been reading financially Detroit can't just let him go until the season is over. It won't happen this week like the initial reports suggested. I do think they will fire him at the end of the season though. The one thing that I think with this is in order for them to keep Tay (well or anyone...) like they have mentioned they will probably need to fire Kuester otherwise he will just walk. I fully expect him to be let go.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:28 PM   #6
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
The Detroit Pistons have a handful of people in Chicago this week for the annual NBA pre-draft camp. But Pistons coach John Kuester is not here. About 40 of the top collegiate players take part in the camp, which is similar to the NFL combine. NBA coaches and general managers hold interviews with individual players throughout the camp, which started today and runs through Sunday. Kuester was present for the pre-draft camp last summer and took part in the player interviews. The Pistons eventually drafted center Greg Monroe with the seventh pick in the draft. Booth Newspapers

It still looks like Kuester is done. There's quite a few head people available who would be good head coaches. One guy that intrigues me is Sam Cassell. He was such a smart player and he won everywhere. I think he would make a good head coach. It seems like Adelman could end up in LA. If he didn't I'd like to see him in Detroit too. Laimbeer is someone who I think deserves a shot in the NBA as a coach too.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:35 PM   #7
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

we are past hiring experimental coaches I think. Gotta get a strong veteran presence who has proven he can coach in this league. Mike Brown is my first,2nd and 3rd choice personally. We need to find our Nate Mcmillan
Old 05-20-2011, 11:17 PM   #8
dd24
College superstar

I can't stand Mike Brown as a coach. I hope he ends up in Golden State..... Unless it's an Adelman type of guy I don't want to overspend for someone because they've coached before.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:44 PM   #9
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
The Detroit Pistons will also likely be in the market for a new head coach after the first week of June when the ownership of the team becomes official. The probable dismissal of coach John Kuester could be the first step of a major blowup with the Pistons. Racine Journal-Times

Pistons coach John Kuester isn't in Chicago for the NBA Combine, but he'll be back in Detroit next week to run individual workouts. The embattled Pistons coach is in Philadelphia with his family, and has had to endure weeks of speculation about his job security. On Thursday, Kuester told The Detroit News he'll run all the individual draft workouts when prospects begin making their way to Auburn Hills. Detroit News

It looks like right after the begining of June we should know Kuester's fate for sure.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:35 PM   #10
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
I can't stand Mike Brown as a coach. I hope he ends up in Golden State..... Unless it's an Adelman type of guy I don't want to overspend for someone because they've coached before.

I don't want him simply because he's coached. He's a Larry Brown disciple who gets the most out of his players and is a great defensive mind. He's the type of coach we have always won with. I don't know how I feel about Adelman and his not so great defenses.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:52 PM   #11
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus
I don't want him simply because he's coached. He's a Larry Brown disciple who gets the most out of his players and is a great defensive mind. He's the type of coach we have always won with. I don't know how I feel about Adelman and his not so great defenses.

He's supposed to end up in Golden State anyway around it. What is your 2nd choice?
Old 05-22-2011, 12:54 PM   #12
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

I think thats far from certain or close to it. Man I'd love to snag that 4 pick though.

I've decided I don't want Knight or Walker for one. Neither shows the ability to be a PG in the league. One scout made the comparison I've been waiting for.Knight is a lot more Ben Gordon than John Wall. Walker to me seems more Nate Robinson-esque, but with great intangibles. Neither is the answer for us. I don't want Tristan Thompson either. He's a nice backup, energy 4 for someone and that's not good enough.
I like the next round of PGs better. Morris,Jackson,Jenkins etc.

My board looks something like this

Irving
Williams
Kanter
Biyombo
Valanciunas
Singleton
Vessely
Burks
Markieff
Marshon Brooks
Darius Morris

I included a few extra guys in case we move back a few spots, say to 14.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:08 PM   #13
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Detroit Pistons head coach John Kuester will not be returning for the 2011-12 season, according to sources. Although there has been no official word from the Pistons, sources say it is expected that president Joe Dumars and his staff will be returning. Hired in 2009 to be the franchise's 27th head coach, Kuester has posted a 57-107 mark in his two years in Detroit. ESPN.com

Kuester's time with the Pistons has been marked by several personality clashes, most notably with Richard Hamilton, Rodney Stuckey, Tayshaun Prince and Tracy McGrady. ESPN.com

I love reading articles like this I've never been a Kuester supporter as a head coach. I've also been seeing rumors that Mike Brown wants him as an assistant in LA..... send him there. I hate to see the Lakers getting all these 2nd rate coaches though.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:13 PM   #14
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

I think Kuester's a good assistant coach, so not sure that's really fair.

However, I'm ready for the change, so hope its really true. Not sure who I want. I'm assuming Jeff Van Gundy wouldn't come here. Mike Woodson is the hot name. Larry Brown? haha. Not sure who else is out there
Old 05-31-2011, 12:24 AM   #15
dd24
College superstar

I really hope it's not Woodson either. I've mentioned it before but there's some former NBA players trying to get into coaching and I think they deserve a shot. A guy like Marc Jackson would be a good signing IMO. Or a Sam Cassell, Laimbeer, Ewing, etc. The thing with those guys is I think they can be had a little cheaper too. Adelman is still available too. He seems like he would be a good fit.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: