Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Old 03-13-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Default The 2011 Draft Prospect Thread

Quote:
It's Championship Week, the first wave of March Madness and Al Iannazzone reports the Nets are out in force even if Billy King had to postpone a scouting trip after straining a tendon in his foot. Not only is Bobby Marks and the college scouting staff on the road. The Nets have enlisted their pro scouts as well...two of them former GM's.

What you say? Don't the Nets only have the Laker first round pick, now #26, and their own second rounder, now #36 ...in a weak draft? Yes, but as Iannazzone writes, that doesn't mean they won't be active: "As a Sixers' executive, King made 11 draft-day trades from 2002-2007 that involved picks. With owner Mikhail Prokhorov's fortune, the Nets could buy picks if King and his staff find players they like".

Who do the Nets like? That's a state secret, of course, and one that won't be finalized until all the scouting reports are coordinated and the video uploaded on everyone's iPad. Still, the mock draft sites think they know. Draft Express has the Nets taking Justin Harper, Richmond's 6'10" PF, and Kyle Singler, Duke's 6'9" SF, while NBADraft.net has them stealing Kemba Walker, UConn's PG, and David Lighty, Ohio State's 6'6" SG. (Draft Express has Walker going #7.)
http://www.netsdaily.com/2011/3/13/2...re-but-why-not

I just want someone who can slash and get to the line a little.
Nets fan 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
Puretalent365
I airball my layups

Default Re: The 2011 Draft Prospect Thread

Marshon Brooks plain and simple. The kid is a flat out ball player.
Puretalent365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:57 PM   #3
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

So the nets will have the 27th and 36th picks in the 2011draft. I am clueless when it comes to college bball. So idk who they should pick.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:26 PM   #4
gigantes
A piece of fluff

the draft is one of billy king's biggest strengths, so this is where we might maybe get a little excited.

when the sixers had iverson, king was able to put a number of very good players around him at the cost of very little. examples: jerry stackhouse, larry hughes, dikembe mutombo, tony kukoc, glenn robinson, matt harpring, chris webber and a couple others that i can't remember right now.

i mean, yes- some of those players were raw and some were aging. but all were very-good or star players, and it was always kind of a surprise that the sixers were able to get them.

post-iverson, king was able to put together some nice rosters, including such players as iguodala, young, williams, green, korver, miller, evans, etc.

some were via trades and some were drafts, of course.

EDIT: corrected a couple mistakes.

Last edited by gigantes : 04-16-2011 at 07:01 PM.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

I am almost positive stafanski was the one that brought in brand. I get your point though.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

If Josh Selby is around at 27 The Nets should pounce. He was Parade POY whose game was/is more suited to The NBA style than college. He is a cross between Jrue Holliday and Marcus Thornton and would fit nicely in or back court rotation from day one. I would like to go big at 36 and grab a project. Jeremy Tyler fits the bill there. Getting a good 3 at 36 wouldn't be a bad idea either. Chris Singleton and Travis Leslie could fall. King should snatch one of them up if they do.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:39 PM   #7
HelloBrooklyn
Can barely lace up my sneakers

I think the Nets should try and draft David Lighty with on of thier 2 picks, he has the size and ability to play both guard spots and he can come in and contribute right away.Whatever they plan on doing though they should try and keep both picks because we need more young players/assets if we are going to try and make a trade for Howard next season.
HelloBrooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:48 PM   #8
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nets fan 93
I am almost positive stafanski was the one that brought in brand. I get your point though.
sorry, i goofed on brand and speights. those were indeed stefanski pickups.

checking the record, king also drafted todd macculloch & samuel dalembert, two very nice finds at their draft positions- 2nd-round, 18th and 1st-round, 26th, respectively.

actually, looking across the whole list (1998 - 2007), it's a little hard to follow because king made so many pick-and-deals with his choices on draft day.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:20 PM   #9
HelloBrooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
the draft is one of billy king's biggest strengths, so this is where we might maybe get a little excited.

Any idea on what you think he may do, move up or move down, etc?
Old 04-17-2011, 04:06 PM   #10
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloBrooklyn
I hope he moves down and tries to improve the team. We need vets that can help right away.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:07 PM   #11
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Quote:
i wish i could give you a good answer, but all i can tell you is what i observed as a nets' fan living in philadelphia for many years.

but in a nutshell, what i've seen from king is that he works the phone lines hard like few others can do. meaning that he is relentless and persistent, yet at the same time has a knack for not irritating other GM's and management by getting in their faces too much. (that is, maybe he gets in their grilles just the right amount? hehe)

and perhaps as a testament to this- there is no way king should have been able to get d-will and several other players i mentioned for the sixers. there are times when the only explanation seems to be that he made a contract with the devil. or something... it's just weird.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:40 AM   #12
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

Kemba would be a great addition if he's available. With Deron being able to guard shooting guards, we definitely could play Kemba at the 2, which is his natural position. He can be used the same way Terry is being used in Dallas. As a guy who comes in, scores off the ball and make big clutch shots.

That is if he is available. I don't think he will be.

A couple of guys that I like that may be available at our draft spots:

Tobias Harris - Athletic, good inside game, a bit undersized
Robert Sacre - Tyson Chandler clone
Tristan Thompson - Big, good touch, has some good post moves
Iman Shumpert - I still like his upside as a SG, can definitely fill it up and play defense. Terrible FT shooter though
Demitri McCamey - My Illini bias. He'd be a lottery pick PG if he was consistent. Big point guard that can score, pass, and is strong as a bull. Think Chauncey Billups.
E'Twann Moore - He's like a less-athletic Jordan Crawford. Don't get me wrong though, he's got plenty of athleticism. Can shoot, can drive, and finds different ways to score.
Jimmer Fredette - Probably won't be around, but if he slips Jameer Nelson style, we have to pick this guy up. Guys like these just find a way to succeed at any level they're at. He would be a steal.
Kenneth Faried - Workhorse and possibly the next Ben Wallace. If we can't keep Humphries, this may be a good option.

I'm ok with Lighty, but I don't think he'll make the transition as well. He's got a great shot, but the rest of his game is sorely lacking. And his shot isn't good enough to keep him in the league.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:08 PM   #13
HelloBrooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three
I'm ok with Lighty, but I don't think he'll make the transition as well. He's got a great shot, but the rest of his game is sorely lacking. And his shot isn't good enough to keep him in the league.
Haha, I have to admit that I go to Ohio State so maybe I'm a little biased about their players. I've actually been checking out a lot of mock drafts lately and I've noticed Tyler Honeycutt consistently going in the late first around 26-30. What are your thoughts on him? I've never seen him play but the reviews and reports I read said he is extremely athletic with great defensive skills.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:36 AM   #14
RecSpecs110
Prokhorov = Badass

I'm not really a draft junkie, but the fact that so many prospects ended up staying in school this year makes me like the Deron Williams trade that much more. If Golden State makes the playoffs next year, we essentially traded Derrick Favors and chump change for a superstar/franchise player.

In King I trust.
RecSpecs110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:01 PM   #15
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

Quote:
Haha, I have to admit that I go to Ohio State so maybe I'm a little biased about their players. I've actually been checking out a lot of mock drafts lately and I've noticed Tyler Honeycutt consistently going in the late first around 26-30. What are your thoughts on him? I've never seen him play but the reviews and reports I read said he is extremely athletic with great defensive skills.

I don't really watch all that much Pac 10, so I don't really have an opinion on Honeycutt. I am an Illinois fan so I've seen a ton of Big 10 games. Lighty is one of those guys that can make his shots and play with some above average athleticism. However, is he any better than Ron Lewis? I don't think so. He can be separated from Lewis by playing better defense, but I don't think it'll be all that much difference on the next level.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: