Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 06-17-2011, 03:41 PM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default New Toronto Raptors coach is Dwane Casey!

Dallas Mavericks assistant coach Dwane Casey has emerged as the clear favorite to land the Toronto Raptors' coaching job and could be installed as the team's new coach by next week, according to sources close to the situation. The Raptors began the week having narrowed their search for a successor to Jay Triano down to the former Minnesota Timberwolves coach and Boston Celtics assistant coach Lawrence Frank. But Toronto has since zeroed in on Casey after interviews with both men this week, drawn largely to Casey's success as the defensive coordinator for a Mavericks team that just won the first championship in franchise history. ESPN.com
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Dwane Casey may be favorite to be next Raptors coach

Jeff, post in our already ongoing thread. Jeeze, it's like you think you own the place!
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Hoping this happens. Exactly the kind of Coach this team needs.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
Prodigy
Diaw Fan

Prodigy has decent reputation

The Raps have to set their goals for the upcoming season though or we're just going to end up with Triano v2.
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Low
Jeff, post in our already ongoing thread. Jeeze, it's like you think you own the place!

Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:27 PM   #6
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

I just hope Dwayne Casey (or whoever the coach ends up being) isn't afraid of having his players upset with him.

I still think Triano is a a quality coach and has a lot of Basketball IQ, but he was always known as a "players coach" because he never really held them accountable.

I don't know much about Casey but he looks to me like he'd be a mean motherphucker.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:57 PM   #7
Reef
College star

Reef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
I just hope Dwayne Casey (or whoever the coach ends up being) isn't afraid of having his players upset with him.

I still think Triano is a a quality coach and has a lot of Basketball IQ, but he was always known as a "players coach" because he never really held them accountable.

I don't know much about Casey but he looks to me like he'd be a mean motherphucker.

The question is will he be another yes-man for Colangelo? Or will he actually hold players accountable when they're not rebounding or playing D (I think we all know who I'm talking about).
Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:03 PM   #8
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation

From today:

All signs point to Dwane Casey becoming the next head coach of the Raptors. Casey, who lost out for the coaching job in Houston and Golden State is the team’s top choice and has already interviewed for general manager Bryan Colangelo and the club twice – once during the NBA finals and again on Tuesday. Casey, the Dallas Mavericks’ defensive guru has not yet even interviewed for the Detroit Pistons – who also like him but see him as just one of the top candidates, along with favourites Mike Woodson, Kelvin Sampson and Lawrence Frank. Toronto Sun
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:43 PM   #9
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef
The question is will he be another yes-man for Colangelo? Or will he actually hold players accountable when they're not rebounding or playing D (I think we all know who I'm talking about).

That's kind of what I meant, too. Not afraid to be in control. Not being afraid to do what he wants to do.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:18 PM   #10
Himan12
On the clouds

Himan12 has an OK reputation so far

I m all for it, I want a coach who can grow with what this organization is hopefully (?) building here.
Himan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:19 PM   #11
Grey Dawn
KG cancer to the NBA

Grey Dawn has not been impressing people

I'd hope the Raptors' decision isn't just based on the fact that the Mavs just won.
Grey Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:43 PM   #12
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Dawn
I'd hope the Raptors' decision isn't just based on the fact that the Mavs just won.

I don't think that's the case.

Casey has been given a ton of credit for making the Mavericks the defensive team they are. His first interview with the Raptors was before the finals were over.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #13
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
I don't think that's the case.

Casey has been given a ton of credit for making the Mavericks the defensive team they are. His first interview with the Raptors was before the finals were over.

Hopefully Toronto has realistic expectations as far as defensive improvement. Some major personnel changes in the roster have to be made first and foremost. For example, for all the credit that Casey's zone has gotten in the playoffs, Toronto played a lot of zone as well (with very middling results). We've heard it every pre-season about a defensive emphasis and the one constant has been the poor defensive players that Colangelo has assembled. It's one thing to hire a defensive coach, don't half-ass it and not get the players as well.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:29 PM   #14
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballnoob
Hopefully Toronto has realistic expectations as far as defensive improvement. Some major personnel changes in the roster have to be made first and foremost. For example, for all the credit that Casey's zone has gotten in the playoffs, Toronto played a lot of zone as well (with very middling results). We've heard it every pre-season about a defensive emphasis and the one constant has been the poor defensive players that Colangelo has assembled. It's one thing to hire a defensive coach, don't half-ass it and not get the players as well.

Absolutely. Casey can't be successful without the right pieces. But he's proven to be a great defensive strategist. Even though Triano's focus was supposed to be defense, who knows how capable he is of implementing such things?

I think under Casey we will see an improvement, and we will even see some defensive potential from certain players.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:06 PM   #15
BRabbiT

BRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
"I'm shocked that we still have him here. He's that good," Carlisle said.

"That situation will be addressed at the right time, but my level of respect for Dwane and what he's brought our team is extremely high."
link
BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: