Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-21-2006, 03:09 PM   #16
JSub
Decent college freshman

JSub has decent reputationJSub has decent reputation

JSub's college words of wisdom:

1) GPA doesnt matter in the long run. After 5 years, employers wont be asking for your grades anymore (unless you intend to go to professional school). All that matters is your references and work experience.

2) Networking is of primary importance in college. Its not what you do, its who you know. monster.com and wetfeet.com really dont do jacksht for your career. They receive a huge quantity of applicants and chances are, HR wont even read your resume. You need to meet people and alumni while you're in school and foster connections with them. Just having someone to personally hand your resume to HR gets you a foot in the door.

3) Bang chicks. Never in your life will you get an opportunity like this. Drunk, rebellious school girls, all concentrated in one place. Everybody justs wants to have fun. No strings attached. Now, I understand for ugly little turds like Hawker, this will sadly be an impossibility when the time comes. But I believe there is much potential for the rest of ISH kids, so remember what I said and dont forget your wrap.
JSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 03:33 PM   #17
sportstownusa
Yup

sportstownusa has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPigto
My next semester schedule is:

M427K - Advanced Calc Apps 1
PHY 303K - Engineering Physics 1
ME210 - Engineering Design Graphics
GE203K - General Engineering
PHY 103M - Engineering Lab
M340L - Matrices Math

who do you have for diff. eq and phy 303K?

PS: GE is basically an A.
sportstownusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 03:38 PM   #18
ClutchCityReturns
Decent college freshman

ClutchCityReturns has decent reputationClutchCityReturns has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSub

1) GPA doesnt matter in the long run. After 5 years, employers wont be asking for your grades anymore (unless you intend to go to professional school). All that matters is your references and work experience.

2) Networking is of primary importance in college. Its not what you do, its who you know. monster.com and wetfeet.com really dont do jacksht for your career. They receive a huge quantity of applicants and chances are, HR wont even read your resume. You need to meet people and alumni while you're in school and foster connections with them. Just having someone to personally hand your resume to HR gets you a foot in the door.

3) Bang chicks. Never in your life will you get an opportunity like this. Drunk, rebellious school girls, all concentrated in one place. Everybody justs wants to have fun. No strings attached. Now, I understand for ugly little turds like Hawker, this will sadly be an impossibility when the time comes. But I believe there is much potential for the rest of ISH kids, so remember what I said and dont forget your wrap.

All of these are true, and I didn't do any of them. Maybe that's why I'm jobless, and undersexed.
ClutchCityReturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 03:39 PM   #19
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Sounds like your crappy high school has given you an inflated sense of your own self worth and intelligence.
dunno if you're kidding or not cause I dont know you but this is probably the case. most high schools are for the LCD who will never go to a state college. it's a shame really. did you have AP/honors in HS? what college are you going to? what kind of classes are you taking?

lucky for me I have pretty much the hardest high school ever. we need 94+ for an A, 90+ for a B+, 84+ for a B, we get no gpa bump for Honors, APs are hard as **** with C averages in the easier ones, and all the teachers are either bad at teaching, grade really hard, or both. high school has been sorta hard for me but everyone tells me I'll be really prepared for college. so I'm glad I guess. hopefully the 2nd tier schools I'm applying to do won't vomit too much when they see the 3.5 gpa on my transcript.

Quote:
unless you're going to law/graduate school...
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 03:41 PM   #20
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
M340L - Matrices Math
that's a class? are you kidding? it isn't as easy as it looks, is it? please say no.

I mean I heard that the first 2 years of college are a lot of fluff classes but come on. matrices math. I wouldn't even go to that ****
Old 12-21-2006, 03:48 PM   #21
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
college is all about effort and how much you want it. not about natural aptitude.
Tell that to my summa *** laude degree, my five level 80 diablo 2 characters, and my warcraft 3 #25 overall ladder rank.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 03:52 PM   #22
ClutchCityReturns
Decent college freshman

ClutchCityReturns has decent reputationClutchCityReturns has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
that's a class? are you kidding? it isn't as easy as it looks, is it? please say no.

I mean I heard that the first 2 years of college are a lot of fluff classes but come on. matrices math. I wouldn't even go to that ****

From my experiences, college courses are, more often than not, harder than they sound. For example, I took a class for sociology called "Mexican American Family" and it turns out I was one of about three white people in the entire course. Everyone else was Latino and spoke Spanish. Sometimes the professor would even make jokes completely in Spanish and while everyone was laughing I would just sit there like

Sounds funny and all that, sure, but it put me at a huge disadvantage when it came to tests (which were largely essay format) and our 20 page term paper. It was basically the equivalent of someone taking an "NBA Basketball" course when they don't even know who Michael Jordan is, but everyone else in the class played in the league.

Anyway, my point is a lot of things sound easy but you never really know until you take the course. For one thing there were usually about 4 or 5 professors for each subject at my school and all graded/tested differently. Depending on which prof you got, you could be in for disaster or it could be a complete joke of a class. The only class I ever took that was even easier than it sounded was "Intro to Poetry" In contrast, a lot of people probably think Logic sounds easy enough. It's not.
ClutchCityReturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 03:56 PM   #23
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Heilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcz
Tell that to my summa *** laude degree, my five level 80 diablo 2 characters, and my warcraft 3 #25 overall ladder rank.

Are you saying it isn't about had work then?

Congrats on the summa *** laude degree though. What did you get it in?
Heilige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 03:56 PM   #24
sportstownusa
Yup

Quote:

Here at UT thas a class. I never took it, because i felt that i knew linear algebra enough from an application standpoint for engineering purposes. But a lot of engineers here (esp. mechE, civilE, EE) have to take it. I heard its a LOT of work, but not necessarily hard. That goes for all the easy classes here at UT, professors just make it hard, because for some reason they feel like we should hold the same passion for that subject as he/she does.
TO Elpigito:

But all in all, Matrices isnt hard, but its a class that needs dedication, otherwise it becomes a B, where it could have easlily become an A.

M 427K is a very hard class, but the second part goes hand in hand with the stuff you learn in Matrices. Luckily i had the department chair teach me that class, and she was really good, resulting in an A for me.

Phy303K:
I hope you have Dr. Moore or Dr. Turner. They are the best at UT. The class is based on the homework server, and you have 3 homework assignments (usually 12 - 15 problems) due each week. This is same for all engineering physics professors btw. The best way to make an A in this class is to go to recitation session. Thats where the teaching occurs. In class, its usually jus derivation of formulas and theories, which might maybe account for 10% if the final grade. I had Dr. Moore, and made an A because he gives 25 - 30% A for the class, which i think rivals Dr. Turner's grade policy as well. All the other professors when i took the class (spring 2005) were crap.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:58 PM   #25
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heilige
Are you saying it isn't about had work then?
Not at all. Getting to level 80 is no walk in the park. It requires dedication, and sometimes faith.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 04:02 PM   #26
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Heilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcz
Not at all. Getting to level 80 is no walk in the park. It requires dedication, and sometimes faith.

What did you get your degree in?
Heilige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 04:31 PM   #27
sportstownusa
Yup

Quote:

Here at UT thas a class. I never took it, because i felt that i knew linear algebra enough from an application standpoint for engineering purposes. But a lot of engineers here (esp. mechE, civilE, EE) have to take it. I heard its a LOT of work, but not necessarily hard. That goes for all the easy classes here at UT, professors just make it hard, because for some reason they feel like we should hold the same passion for that subject as he/she does.
TO Elpigito:

But all in all, Matrices isnt hard, but its a class that needs dedication, otherwise it becomes a B, where it could have easlily become an A.

M 427K is a very hard class, but the second part goes hand in hand with the stuff you learn in Matrices. Luckily i had the department chair teach me that class, and she was really good, resulting in an A for me.

Phy303K:
I hope you have Dr. Moore or Dr. Turner. They are the best at UT. The class is based on the homework server, and you have 3 homework assignments (usually 12 - 15 problems) due each week. This is same for all engineering physics professors btw. The best way to make an A in this class is to go to recitation session. Thats where the teaching occurs. In class, its usually jus derivation of formulas and theories, which might maybe account for 10% if the final grade. I had Dr. Moore, and made an A because he gives 25 - 30% A for the class, which i think rivals Dr. Turner's grade policy as well. All the other professors when i took the class (spring 2005) were crap.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:44 PM   #28
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

Quote:
The only class I ever took that was even easier than it sounded was "Intro to Poetry" In contrast, a lot of people probably think Logic sounds easy enough. It's not.
I'd like to take a class like that. that is the kind of thing I love doing. I hate Calculus but I love where there is a really hard problem and the difference between people who get it wrong and right is a matter of who can think logically and not just go on a processed autopilot. I always feel like I'm in some exclusive club when I spot a trick in a problem.

what is Logic like? is it like proofs in Geometry? proofs on steroids, applied to more complex stuff? I wish school was like that.. I want a Logic class to bust my balls. I guess that's what seperates me from the rest of the human race. if I take one more "memorize these long vocab words that describe things you already know" class my head's going to explode.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:55 PM   #29
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool
Default re

depends what major you take in the end.

if you are in the sciences, you will definitely get smacked down numerous times unless you are a natural science whiz or an extremely hard worker.

if you are a communications major and you do poorly, you are lazy.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 04:58 PM   #30
hotsizzle
Superstar

hotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSub

Never been said better
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: