Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-22-2011, 11:11 PM   #1
Godzuki
Very good NBA starter

Default Kanter's a cornball

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vid...NBA/index.html

oh and here's CNNSI's mock draft. WTF would CLE be taking a PF?

2011 NBA Mock Draft 4.0

PICK TEAM POSITION PLAYER CLASS HEIGHT WEIGHT
1 PG
Kyrie Irving
Duke
Fr. 6-4 191
Well, at least we had something to talk about up top here. After nearly a week of chatter that the Cavs might not take the Duke point guard after all, rival executives are back to believing he's the pick. Irving will solidify the spot and be a very solid piece of the Cavs' core that must continue to be reshaped. VIDEO

2 PF
Derrick Williams
Arizona
So. 6-8 248
Every time I'm asked if there's one player in this draft with All-Star potential, a Williams highlight reel from his March Madness run starts playing in my head. Unless the Timberwolves find the impact, veteran player they're hoping to acquire by trading this pick, it's continuing to sound as if the high-flying big man with a dangerous inside-out game will be the pick -- Michael Beasley be darned. VIDEO

3 C
Enes Kanter
Kentucky
Fr. 6-11 259
The Jazz remain somewhat of a mystery, with sources saying it has come down to Kentucky point guard Brandon Knight or the Wildcats teammate he never played with in Kanter. But I'm told that general manager Kevin O' Connor sees Kanter as the third-best player in the draft (behind Irving and Williams) and is seriously considering going big here despite the fact that he badly wants a replacement for veteran point guard Devin Harris. VIDEO

4 PF
Tristan Thompson
Texas
Fr. 6-9 227
I'm admittedly shocked to be dropping this early bombshell, but a source said there are strong indications this could be the pick as long as Kanter is off the board by No. 4. The Cavs need a player who can contribute now, and I think Lithuanian center Jonas Valanciunas gets passed up here because he doesn't fit those parameters. Huge upside and all, his buyout with his Lietuvos Rytas team (which was first reported by DraftExpress.com) prohibits him from playing in the NBA next season, and that is a problem for Cleveland. If the Cavs don't opt for Thompson, I'm told it will be a surprise if he gets out of the top 10. VIDEO

5 PG
Brandon Knight
Kentucky
Fr. 6-3 177
This would qualify as quite a coup for the Raptors, who already had eyes for Connecticut's Kemba Walker but would likely nab Knight here instead. There have been rumblings that president and GM Bryan Colangelo is enamored of Congolese forward Bismack Biyombo and was thinking of taking him as high as No. 5, but that's not happening if Knight is here. VIDEO

6 SF
Jan Vesely
KK Partizan Belgrade (Serbia)
--- 6-11 240
The Wizards have been eager to add the 21-year-old Czech for quite some time now, and they get their shot here. Vesely's athleticism, speed and offensive versatility would fit in nicely with the group headed by point guard John Wall. That said, sources told me the Wizards are offering the No. 6 and No. 18 picks for a chance to get into the top three and grab Kanter.

7 SF
Kawhi Leonard
San Diego State
So. 6-7 227
This is a somewhat reluctant pick, as there is reason to believe the Kings have moved away from the idea of taking Leonard and might opt for the likes of Walker or BYU's Jimmer Fredette. But in the absence of clarity on those fronts I'm opting for Leonard, whose defensive mindset and adequate offense are appealing to the Kings at small forward. If they don't take him, it will be because of his average athleticism and an outside game that might not be reliable enough for their taste. What's more, going with a guard will be a sign that the small forward void they want to fill will be done so by way of a veteran in free agency. VIDEO

8 PF
Bismack Biyombo
Baloncesto Fuenlabrada (Spain)
--- 6-9 240
All those Ben Wallace comparisons will be put to the test, as Biyombo would be paired with the man himself in Motor City. Let's just hope he remembers to emulate the young Ben Wallace.

Valanciunas is a possibility, too, but new ownership could put the kibosh on drafting a player who can't produce right away (even if that might turn out to be flawed logic because a potential lockout could erase the season that Valanciunas would be missing as it is). Kansas power forward Markieff Morris played his way into contention for this spot during a Tuesday workout that also included Biyombo, but I'm not sold that he gets the nod.

9 PG
Kemba Walker
Connecticut
Jr. 6-1 184
Walker is in play even with D.J. Augustin already filling the role of diminutive point guard. The Bobcats' board could change Wednesday, though, as they are hosting a workout that, according to the Charlotte Observer, will give them a good look at Biyombo and second looks at Kansas forward Marcus Morris (Markieff's twin brother) and Florida State small forward Chris Singleton. Texas small forward Jordan Hamilton and Purdue forward JaJuan Johnson are also taking part.

All of this is assuming the Bobcats keep this pick. They are said to be "fielding a ton of calls" and considering a number of creative options with the No. 9 and No. 19 picks. VIDEO

10 SG
Klay Thompson
Washington State
Jr. 6-7 206
The Bucks might see Colorado shooting guard Alec Burks as the better prospect, but every talent evaluator I've spoken with prefers the sharpshooting Thompson over the slashing Burks. Or perhaps the Bucks go big: Coach Scott Skiles is believed to be a big fan of Marcus Morris. Valanciunas will entice them as well if he slides this far. VIDEO

11 C
Jonas Valanciunas
Lietuvos Rytas (Lithuania)
--- 6-11 240
Dreams do come true after all -- as long as ownership signs off on them. The Warriors didn't think they could find an impactful center in this draft, but they will get it in Valanciunas if he slides. They love his game and upside, but the contract situation means patience must be employed during a time when the pressure to turn things around quickly is substantial. Klay Thompson is a top option if Valanciunas is gone, and my Bucks and Warriors picks might very well wind up being swapped in the end. The Warriors are considering adding a strong defender, too, so Biyombo and Singleton are possibilities.

12 PG
Jimmer Fredette
BYU
Sr. 6-3 196
The Jazz might move back in the draft, but there will be immense pressure to take Fredette here if it shakes out this way. They lost the face of their franchise in coach Jerry Sloan and then shipped Deron Williams to New Jersey not long after, and Fredette would provide a jolt to the fan base. Singleton could get the nod as well. VIDEO

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1Q45un900

Last edited by Godzuki : 06-22-2011 at 11:16 PM.
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:15 PM   #2
Black Joker
NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: Kanter's a cornball

Quote:
4 PF
Tristan Thompson
Texas
Fr. 6-9 227
I'm admittedly shocked to be dropping this early bombshell, but a source said there are strong indications this could be the pick as long as Kanter is off the board by No. 4. The Cavs need a player who can contribute now, and I think Lithuanian center Jonas Valanciunas gets passed up here because he doesn't fit those parameters. Huge upside and all, his buyout with his Lietuvos Rytas team (which was first reported by DraftExpress.com) prohibits him from playing in the NBA next season, and that is a problem for Cleveland. If the Cavs don't opt for Thompson, I'm told it will be a surprise if he gets out of the top 10. VIDEO
wait what? we are going to be awful next year too, so we don't really need a player that can contribute now. sure that would be helpful, but we're building toward the future. no way we take Thompson at 4
Black Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:18 PM   #3
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

tristan thompson shits on JJ hickson IMO
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:26 PM   #4
Balla_Status

says the guy that said he OD'd on weed
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:35 AM   #5
dffsaf9
Decent playground baller

Tristan Thompson is a stud and the most underrated player in this draft...he'd be great at #4 for cavs to combo with Irving
dffsaf9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:37 AM   #6
28renyoy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dffsaf9
Tristan Thompson is a stud and the most underrated player in this draft...he'd be great at #4 for cavs to combo with Irving

Undersized and he can't shoot at all. Reminds me a little bit of Favors, but I don't think is a top 5 kind of player. Hell I don't even think he will be the best player from that Texas team, it will be Hamilton.
28renyoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:39 AM   #7
kaiiu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
tristan thompson shits on JJ hickson IMO

JJ Hickson is a top 10 PF in this league
kaiiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:42 AM   #8
Theoo's Daddy
IN PAT RILEY WE TRUST

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiiu

Theoo's Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:45 AM   #9
dffsaf9
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Undersized and he can't shoot at all. Reminds me a little bit of Favors, but I don't think is a top 5 kind of player. Hell I don't even think he will be the best player from that Texas team, it will be Hamilton.

no way...Thompson has been a big time prospect for a long time and although he had a great freshman year, he had/has the ceiling to have been even better then he was.

Lots of projectablity here, the only real negative about him is his size, but assuming he's playing PF his natural position he's an outstanding prospect.. 13 ppg, 8 rbp, 2.5 bpg freshman with high ceiling
dffsaf9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:13 AM   #10
FKAri
Good college starter

Quote:

Well ok let's see here:

Dirk
Bosh
Amare
Gasol
Aldridge
ZBo
Boozer
KG
Duncan
Smith

So that would be a no.
FKAri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:06 AM   #11
alenleomessi
yeah bitch! magnets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKAri
Well ok let's see here:

Dirk
Bosh
Amare
Gasol
Aldridge
ZBo
Boozer
KG
Duncan
Smith

So that would be a no.
u should get banned for not having a 22/12/4 guy in your top 10
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:29 AM   #12
Andrei89
Yes We Did

Quote:

Andrei89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:05 AM   #13
Godzuki
Very good NBA starter

i don't get why they'd draft another PF tho. i don't know who that guy is, but Hickson is really good and came into his own last season. he makes some dumb mistakes and still doesn't show up some games, but all in all i'd be surprised if any rookie PF would be better than JJ off the bat. there were games wherre he just beasted.

i'm also really questioning the Irving pick at #1. i love Derrick William's game, and i think he can play 3 in the NBA, and i just don't see anywhere near the same star talent from what i've seen of Irving. I mean Derrick Williams to me is like a Kenyon with a lot more game, and more mobile where he can play 3. Cleveland already has 2 above average PG's on their roster. I'm going to be on their bandwagon next year so i hope they draft well and i'm just not really feeling the Irving pick, more than Williams being a much surer thing with a higher ceiling.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:03 AM   #14
Godzuki
Very good NBA starter

Texas PF Tristan Thompson met with Cavs owner Dan Gilbert on Monday.
According to ESPN's Chad Ford, there is a "growing comfort level" between the Cavs and Thompson as the No. 4 overall pick. That isn't good news for J.J. Hickson, as Thompson is a high-upside power forward. Note that stats guru John Hollinger rated Thompson as the third-best prospect in the draft.

This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: