Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-23-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
Godzuki
3-time NBA All-Star

Godzuki has decent reputationGodzuki has decent reputation
Default Does everyone here feel Irving is a no brainer for the #1 pick?

granted i stopped watching college bball a while ago but i've been looking at highlight videos and he's not nearly as impressive as Derrick Williams to me. Derrick Williams looks like a future all star, almost a sure thing between his size, mobility, aggressiveness, and athleticism. This guy imo can't fail. Where as with Irving some of his hype almost comes across from running PG in a very good system and getting high% shots. I'm not saying he doesn't show game, but not nearly as much as Derrick Williams does. I don't even think its close at all in terms of having actual star potential between the two, Derrick Williams looks like a BEAST.

Whats other peoples perspective on this? Is Irving easily the #1 choice? Maybe i had to watch the college season and not just highlights to see how greatness? not to mention CLE already has 2 above average PG's, and Derrick Williams can play SF in the NBA imo since he looks so mobile/quick for his size.

GO CAV's!!!!!11

Last edited by Godzuki : 06-23-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
Collie
Good college starter

Collie is popular on this boardCollie is popular on this boardCollie is popular on this boardCollie is popular on this board
Default Re: Does everyone here feel Irving is a no brainer for the #1 pick?

People are always wary about tweeners, even if its unfounded.

See: Beasley, Michael
Collie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
blablabla

blablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzuki
granted i stopped watching college bball a while ago but i've been looking at highlight videos and he's not nearly as impressive as Derrick Williams to me. Derrick Williams looks like a future all star, almost a sure thing between his size, mobility, aggressiveness, and athleticism. This guy imo can't fail. Where as with Irving some of his hype almost comes across from running PG in a very good system and getting high% shots. I'm not saying he doesn't show game, but not nearly as much as Derrick Williams does. I don't even think its close at all in terms of having actual star potential between the two, Derrick Williams looks like a BEAST.

Whats other peoples perspective on this? Is Irving easily the #1 choice? Maybe i had to watch the college season and not just highlights to see how greatness? not to mention CLE already has 2 above average PG's, and Derrick Williams can play SF in the NBA imo since he looks so mobile/quick for his size.

williams could turn out great but he could also never find a real position in the nba
i don't think he will be any better than beasley i'm not saying that beasley is a bad player but irving seems like the safer pick
blablabla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
bluechox2
#knickstape

bluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

he has to be with all the hype surrounding him, cleaveland would look dumb if they pass up on him and he become a stud
bluechox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:08 AM   #5
iggy>
happy tanksgiving

iggy> has decent reputation

He's definitely the best prospect this year, no way you take a tweener over a stud pg.
iggy> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:14 AM   #6
hawksdogsbraves
Child, please

hawksdogsbraves is a pretty well-respected posterhawksdogsbraves is a pretty well-respected posterhawksdogsbraves is a pretty well-respected poster

Williams seems to be very similar to Beasley, except he's less athletic and put up far inferior numbers in college.

Granted, he's not a total headcase, but I don't think he is nearly as talented as Super Cool Beas.

Neither player is worth the first pick, and next year I'm not sure either would crack the top 5, but I'd pick Irving, he has a chance to be a very good true point guard.
hawksdogsbraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
kabalcage
Local High School Star

kabalcage has decent reputation

I will always be amused at the fact that Irving's more talented team was completely decimated by Derrick Williams. It seems like no one brings that up. I really don't know or understand why a guy who only played eleven games is getting all this hype.

Williams is a 3, that is all there is to it. The guy is an athlete and a balller, he already understands how to draw fouls. Once he earns some respect, he could become another Paul Pierce.

As for Irving, how is he a better prospect that Mike Conley? I see solid starter at best. He must have been ****ing amazing in high school.
kabalcage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:52 AM   #8
Godzuki
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksdogsbraves
Williams seems to be very similar to Beasley, except he's less athletic and put up far inferior numbers in college.

Granted, he's not a total headcase, but I don't think he is nearly as talented as Super Cool Beas.

Neither player is worth the first pick, and next year I'm not sure either would crack the top 5, but I'd pick Irving, he has a chance to be a very good true point guard.

Williams seems a lot more athletic than Beasley to me. Beasley seems a sort of chubby less mobile player than Williams is, with less up's. Beasley doesn't even seem that athletic at all to me but i've only watched him here and there, and not regularly.

i swear Williams looks like a monster in his highlights. i'm still not understanding how great Irving is over Williams, from what i'm looking at its not even close
Old 06-23-2011, 11:55 AM   #9
Godzuki
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabalcage
I will always be amused at the fact that Irving's more talented team was completely decimated by Derrick Williams. It seems like no one brings that up. I really don't know or understand why a guy who only played eleven games is getting all this hype.

Williams is a 3, that is all there is to it. The guy is an athlete and a balller, he already understands how to draw fouls. Once he earns some respect, he could become another Paul Pierce.

As for Irving, how is he a better prospect that Mike Conley? I see solid starter at best. He must have been ****ing amazing in high school.

yeah i agree from watching both of their highlights. To me Irving is not that impressive, or nearly as impressive as Williams. From what i've seen there is a very clear difference, and Williams seriously looks like a can't miss beast. while Irving to me looks a lot more average, and less athletic, than even Baron/Sessions.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:08 PM   #10
KB2009Champ
Local High School Star

KB2009Champ has no real reputation yet.

Mark my words,

Dwill will end up being a beast , a monster.

He has barely cracked the ceiling of what kind of player he can become.

He's improved every year . Dude came out of nowhere so that proves that when he works on his game he gets better.
KB2009Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #11
Godzuki
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB2009Champ
Mark my words,

Dwill will end up being a beast , a monster.

He has barely cracked the ceiling of what kind of player he can become.

He's improved every year . Dude came out of nowhere so that proves that when he works on his game he gets better.

I hear you man. His highlights show a ton of athleticism and length. Irvings highlights are almost pathetically average in comparison. I don't know wtf team execs are looking at

I hope the Cav's don't fukk up their draft picks.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:29 PM   #12
kaiiu
Banned

kaiiu is a pretty well-respected posterkaiiu is a pretty well-respected posterkaiiu is a pretty well-respected posterkaiiu is a pretty well-respected poster

Irving WILL be a star and better than him. Hes gonna go to Minny and be a backup to Beasley and his talent will be wasted anyway.
kaiiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:46 PM   #13
AI3Anthony
A New Era Begins

AI3Anthony is considered somewhat coolAI3Anthony is considered somewhat coolAI3Anthony is considered somewhat cool

The Cavs already have like 3 point guards. I'd rather them take Derrick Williams and then Kemba Walker or Brandon Knight at 4. Baron Davis is gonna make 15 mil this year.. they have to play him. Then they also have Ramon Sessions who is pretty underrated.
AI3Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:51 PM   #14
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Yes he is.

A PG who can shoot really well, create for himself and his teammates and shows very good on-court IQ after only 1 year of college? What's not to like? People harp on his athleticism because it's not otherworldly like Derrick Rose but he's no slouch there either.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:51 PM   #15
Godzuki
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI3Anthony
The Cavs already have like 3 point guards. I'd rather them take Derrick Williams and then Kemba Walker or Brandon Knight at 4. Baron Davis is gonna make 15 mil this year.. they have to play him. Then they also have Ramon Sessions who is pretty underrated.

this is what i'm thinking, but i know i'm naive when it comes to college players since i'm only going by highlights i've watched.

i just pray whatever the Cav's do works out for them
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: