Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 06-20-2006, 02:52 PM   #1
power works
High School JV MVP

Lightbulb Latest draft rumor: Raptors & Sonics deal??

The deal is to package #1 pick for Ridnour, Ray Allen and the #10 pick.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1150796888579&call_pag eid=968867503640

Quote:
DOUG SMITH
SPORTS REPORTER

Okay, a week and a day to go and what do you think?

Andrea Bargnani?

LaMarcus Aldridge?

Adam Morrison?

Brandon Roy?

None of the above?

The word in a couple of corners of the league these past few days — there's nothing like an NBA finals to draw an intriguing group of people who know at least a little bit about what's going on — seems to be leaning towards the Raptors making some kind of move, or going with Aldridge.

Scuttlebutt, from people at least a little tuned in, is that all the Bargnani talk, and the dispatching of Sam Mitchell and Wayne Embry to Europe to see him, and the making sure that everyone knows that even minority owner Larry Tanenbaum has seen the 7-foot Italian play, is all a smokescreen.

Elaborate? Yes, but this is the age of disinformation, after all.

If it is fake, is the attention on Aldridge, who may be more NBA-ready today than Bargnani? Or is there a trade in the works? Or is Roy, who has been under the Toronto public radar since the draft process began, a guy they really like?

My best guess, after talking to all kinds of folks in Dallas, Orlando and Miami, is that there is some sort of trade in the works and I think — for no other reason than it's a good fit — that Seattle's No. 10 pick, in some sort of package that includes Luke Ridnour and maybe Ray Allen, makes some sort of sense.

Take a look at the top teams at the draft:

Chicago: No real deal.
Charlotte: Do you do No. 1 and Brevin Knight for No. 3? I wouldn't, Knight's okay, but probably doesn't play at the pace Toronto wants and the Hornets are going to get either Rudy Gay or Adam Morrison at No. 3 anyway.

Portland: None of those point guards is very interesting, I don't think the Blazers part with Sebastian Telfair and neither Jarrett Jack nor Steve Blake are a huge upgrade over Jose Calderon and, perhaps, Roko Ukic. The one name I heard from a league source was Theo Ratliff, but he's got about $23.3 million left on his deal and that's all of Toronto's money. And sending back the bad contracts of Alvin Williams and the expiring deal of Eric Williams does nothing for the Blazers.

Atlanta: What have they got that Toronto would want, and don't suggest Marvin Williams because he's not available. The Hawks should stand pat and draft Marcus Williams, although they probably won't (see below).

Minnesota: Bad contracts, worse players, no deal there.

Houston: Bad contracts, worse players, no deal there.

Golden State: Maybe. Some intriguing parts and they could use an Aldridge, that's for sure. Might be one to keep an eye on.

Seattle: Ta-da! If I'm Bryan Colangelo, and I'm not, I'd call and offer No. 1 and Charlie Villanueva for No. 10, Allen and Ridnour. That's probably too much for the Sonics to pay to get Morrison or Aldridge, but a good jumping off point for negotiations.

One thing for sure: There is going to be no end to the speculation — most of it wrong, of course — over the next eight days.

Fun times, no?
power works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 03:46 PM   #2
T-Low
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by power works

That is the funniest articles I have ever seen...Like honestly, it is Charlotte BOBCATS NOT HORNETS and TORONTO DOES NOT HAVE BREVIN KNIGHT!
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 04:25 PM   #3
A Roc 23
Back Better Then Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Low
That is the funniest articles I have ever seen...Like honestly, it is Charlotte BOBCATS NOT HORNETS and TORONTO DOES NOT HAVE BREVIN KNIGHT!

Yeah I was thinking the same thing.
A Roc 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 04:26 PM   #4
the truth
...since 95

The Seattle trade...no sir, I don’t like it. Ray is a great player...correction great offensive player. A little on the old side and not the greatest defender, and we can’t afford to get any worse in that area. Then you throw Ridnour into the deal and you’re talking about a bad defensive player. This makes no sense with our current roster. Put those two guys on an otherwise good defensive team and there’s no big concern. And last but not least, CV stays in T.O.

Next rumor…
the truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:38 PM   #5
Bosh4life
Local High School Star

Yes i also do not approve of this trade, if we are going to trade our #1 pick for anyone he better be atleast slightly on the defensive side.
Bosh4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:55 PM   #6
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

Exclamation

all this speculation is draining... i hope we keep the pick.
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 06:13 PM   #7
T-Low
College superstar

Yeah, well those rumours get around...I think Ray Allen would be awesome to have but I think we should pick him up through free agency next year if anything....we don't need him at this time...if we have the number one pick, use it wisely...
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 06:18 PM   #8
Zalendar
Decent playground baller

I would hardly call this a rumour. It is just a sports writer coming up with a trade scenario.
Zalendar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 06:26 PM   #9
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTech
all this speculation is draining... i hope we keep the pick.
There's been so much speculation ever since we won the lottery, people are fighting, disagreeing, agreeing, hoping and wishing, and I think its all just gonna come down to none of the rumours being true and just keeping the pick. Then do we apolagize to each other for all the flaming? haha.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 06:31 PM   #10
A Roc 23
Back Better Then Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Low
Yeah, well those rumours get around...I think Ray Allen would be awesome to have but I think we should pick him up through free agency next year if anything....we don't need him at this time...if we have the number one pick, use it wisely...

Ray Allen just signed a new contract last year, he won't be a FA until he's like 35.
A Roc 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 05:26 AM   #11
420 All-Star
Can barely lace up my sneakers

i think the trade isn't that bad at all.

we could get ray, and a pass first pg in ridnour.
then we can use the 10th pick to draft o'bryant

it'll give us a line up like this:

o'bryant
bosh
mo pete
allen
ridnour

thats a decent lineup
420 All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 02:51 PM   #12
power works
High School JV MVP

Lightbulb

Doug Smith is usually one of the more reliable local b-ball writers.

If BC wants a prototypical small forward then maybe Rashard Lewis could be an interesting player.

I'd do #1 pick + fillers --- for Ridnour, #10 pick and Allen or Lewis.

Those of you Raptor fans clamouring for a pass-first point guard should be glad that Ridnour is included in these trade rumors.
power works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 03:33 PM   #13
Zalendar
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Those of you Raptor fans clamouring for a pass-first point guard should be glad that Ridnour is included in these trade rumors.
It isn't a rumour it is just a sports writer coming up with a trade scenario that he feels make sense.

The only rumour part about it is, he heard that the Raps may trade the 1st pick.
Zalendar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:29 PM   #14
23jordan23
Great young streetballer

Default ..

C Rasho
pf Bosh
sf Villy
sg Ray Allen
pg Luke

I think thats a solid team right that ..with couple key additions to the bench we can easily make playoffs and have a great season ..my only knock on having ray allen Bosh may not b happy with sharing his touches with ray allen thats it...but if they could get along and play together...watch out eastern conference
23jordan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 12:32 AM   #15
420 All-Star
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by power works
Doug Smith is usually one of the more reliable local b-ball writers.

If BC wants a prototypical small forward then maybe Rashard Lewis could be an interesting player.

I'd do #1 pick + fillers --- for Ridnour, #10 pick and Allen or Lewis.

i'd doubt sonics sonics would agree to give up one of their all-stars, a young rising PG, and theiry first round pick for the #1 and scrubs.
That'd be a straight up rip off. even nba live would reject that trade.

i think if we added james or villy it would even out the deal a bit.
420 All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: