Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 06-25-2011, 09:40 AM   #1
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Knicks draft Iman Shumpert in 2011 NBA Draft

Going into the draft our position concerns were PG and C positions. Needs were defense, shooting to stretch the floor and Defense. Now we addressed 2 of the needs(although he's not much of a PG but with Melo and Amare you really don't need one). He's 6'5 and extremely athletic so he can play SG and he's going to be our lock down defender. He doesn't look like a good offensive player which is a negative. But my problem is that he could possibly be the next Toney Douglas which scares me. As for Harrelson he looks really nonathletic to me

Rotation as of now
PG; Billups/Douglas/Shumpert
SG; Fields/Shumpert
SF; Melo/ Williams
PF; Amare
C; Turriaf

Go after a defensive center and look to ship Billups and Douglas for a real PG.
knickballer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:36 AM   #2
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Shumpert was the right pick

At least this pick gives the Knicks size in the backcourt. They don't need to put Douglas at the 2, because they have a guy who's tall enough to guard shooting guards. Not to mention the backcourt is excellent defensively. Douglas and Shumpert are very good defenders, even for their age. Landry is a decent defender and has a lot of room to improve. There will be a lot of energy in that backcourt. Unfortunately Chauncey is too old and stiff to move laterally.

The Knicks still need a big man who blocks shots and rebounds the basketball and a couple of shooters and this team is much better.
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:05 AM   #3
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Bano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation here

We still also need another scorer no matter what. If the depth chart is...

Billups/ Douglas
Shumpert/ Fields
Anthony/ Williams
Stoudemire/ ???
Turiaf/???

Sure now we have defenders in the back court on both the 1rst and 2nd unit but if the situation arises where both Amare and Melo have to sit, who's going to score?

We can't rely on Douglas Fields and Williams offense to keep us in a game. I still would prefer Marshon Brooks but if we make the right moves we can acquire a 2nd unit scorer in a trade or FA.
Bano114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:10 AM   #4
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bano114
We still also need another scorer no matter what. If the depth chart is...

Billups/ Douglas
Shumpert/ Fields
Anthony/ Williams
Stoudemire/ ???
Turiaf/???

Sure now we have defenders in the back court on both the 1rst and 2nd unit but if the situation arises where both Amare and Melo have to sit, who's going to score?

We can't rely on Douglas Fields and Williams offense to keep us in a game. I still would prefer Marshon Brooks but if we make the right moves we can acquire a 2nd unit scorer in a trade or FA.

Sign Chris Douglas-Roberts. He'll provide a scoring punch off the bench.
Of course another option off the bench would be JR Smith. But CDR is pretty cheap and he's excellent at creating shots for himself.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #5
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Bano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY-Knicks
Of course another option off the bench would be JR Smith. But CDR is pretty cheap and he's excellent at creating shots for himself.

I agree, I think CDR would be a good fit but where would he fit in in the guard rotation? Maybe slide Williams to back up PF and Fields to back up SF and place CDR behind Shumpert.

The benefit of that would be when Fields comes in for Melo we replace one good rebounding SF for another. On the other hand I don't know if Shawnee Williams will be able to effectively defend a lot of the Power Forwards he might face.

I really hope the Knicks can bring in Dalembert.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:20 AM   #6
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

CDR would be a nice pickup, he's cheap and he would probably love to play in NY. Knicks need to go hard after Gasol this offseason if he's available.. He's big, protects the paint, rebounds, good ofdensive player and doesn't demand the ball to be effective. Top 5 center. Then possibly we can have a bunch of glory hunters/veterans who sign for cheap to fill out the roster, possibly some former D'antoni players(Diaw? Bell?) We also have to pray that Billups gets his act together, I wouldn't mind him coming into a J-kidd role and not chucking shots.

Billups/Douglas
Fields/Shumpert
Melo/CDR
Amare/Williams
Gasol

Like I said before hopefully they can fill out the roster with some vets and cheap signings.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:23 AM   #7
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bano114
I agree, I think CDR would be a good fit but where would he fit in in the guard rotation? Maybe slide Williams to back up PF and Fields to back up SF and place CDR behind Shumpert.

The benefit of that would be when Fields comes in for Melo we replace one good rebounding SF for another. On the other hand I don't know if Shawnee Williams will be able to effectively defend a lot of the Power Forwards he might face.

I really hope the Knicks can bring in Dalembert.

Dalembert isn't a Dantoni player although he would fill the job quite nicely and a cheaper price. Also I'm pretty sure there's going to be some championship caliber teams going hard after him(Heat especially).
Old 06-25-2011, 11:32 AM   #8
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

I read a few months back that he definitely had interest in New York coming into the off season. he also has family in New York. I used to play soccer with his cousin on the same team Pretty tall athletic guy with a good vertical and looooong arms. I still see him around so the next time I see him I'm going to try and get the inside scoop on what Dalembert wants to do
Old 06-25-2011, 03:02 PM   #9
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

Gasol will demand too much money.
Dalembert for the right pice is a nice since he's big, rebounds and blocks shots.

Landry will probably need to come off the bench to give them some more scoring. Right now there is too much bad decision making from the backcourt duo that comes off the bench. If you switch Landry with Shumpert the starting line-up gets better defensively and the bench gets much better.

Signing former D'Antoni players for the vets minimum would be great if he stays. Bell and Diaw are under contract tho.

Chauncey Billups / Toney Douglas / Anthony Carter
Iman Shumpert / Landry Fields / Bill Walker
Carmelo Anthony / Chris Douglas-Roberts
Amar'e Stoudemire / Shawne Williams
Samuel Dalembert / Ronny Turiaf
Old 06-25-2011, 03:14 PM   #10
bluechox2
#knickstape

bluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Gasol will demand too much money.
Dalembert for the right pice is a nice since he's big, rebounds and blocks shots.

Landry will probably need to come off the bench to give them some more scoring. Right now there is too much bad decision making from the backcourt duo that comes off the bench. If you switch Landry with Shumpert the starting line-up gets better defensively and the bench gets much better.

Signing former D'Antoni players for the vets minimum would be great if he stays. Bell and Diaw are under contract tho.

Chauncey Billups / Toney Douglas / Anthony Carter
Iman Shumpert / Landry Fields / Bill Walker
Carmelo Anthony / Chris Douglas-Roberts
Amar'e Stoudemire / Shawne Williams
Samuel Dalembert / Ronny Turiaf

thats a good lineup, but we need someone to back up turiaf also (probably harrelson)
i like the idea of douglas and shumpert as a 2nd unit tandem cus of their all defensive attitude, i think douglas can carry is when the 2nd unit comes, his shoulder should be healed and ready. CDR is a good pickup, but he is sporadic with his shot making ability ( hes hot and cold every few games games) maybe even pick up micheal redd (1 year)for a few bucks if hes willing&healthy, if not, cut his ass. dalembert is a big if on his situation, hes leaning towards miami last i heard.
with d'antoni as coach...
i expect this lineup for a good 60% of the time
pg: billups
sg:shumpert
sf: fields
pf: anthony
c: stoudamire
bluechox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:07 PM   #11
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechox2
thats a good lineup, but we need someone to back up turiaf also (probably harrelson)
i like the idea of douglas and shumpert as a 2nd unit tandem cus of their all defensive attitude, i think douglas can carry is when the 2nd unit comes, his shoulder should be healed and ready. CDR is a good pickup, but he is sporadic with his shot making ability ( hes hot and cold every few games games) maybe even pick up micheal redd (1 year)for a few bucks if hes willing&healthy, if not, cut his ass. dalembert is a big if on his situation, hes leaning towards miami last i heard.
with d'antoni as coach...
i expect this lineup for a good 60% of the time
pg: billups
sg:shumpert
sf: fields
pf: anthony
c: stoudamire

Michael Redd is a good option as well. He provides the team with a veteran presence in the locker room, scoring off the bench and he's a great shooter.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:33 PM   #12
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation

The New York Knickerbockers have drafted guard Iman Shumpert from Georgia Tech with the 17th overall selection in the first round of the 2011 NBA Draft.

“We are pleased to add Iman to the Knicks,” President, Basketball Operations Donnie Walsh said. “He is a tremendous athlete, with an incredible work ethic. Offensively, he can play both backcourt spots and defend three different positions.”

Shumpert, 6-4, 215-pounds, was an early entry candidate for the 2011 NBA Draft who played three seasons with Georgia Institute of Technology. He completed his collegiate career for the Yellow Jackets as the 11th all-time assist leader (382) and ranks fourth in steals (207). As a junior during the 2010-11 season, the 20-year-old Illinois-native averaged 17.3 points, 5.9 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 2.7 steals (sixth in nation) in 31 games. His honors included All-ACC Second Team and All-ACC Defensive Team selections.

“We are very excited to have Iman,” Head Coach Mike D’Antoni said. “He is one of the better athletes in this draft who can play multiple positions. He will fit in nicely with what we are doing here, defensively and offensively.”
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:30 PM   #13
mjc1241
Kids at the park dunk on me

mjc1241 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Knicks draft Iman Shumpert in 2011 NBA Draft

You guys keep forgetting that Jerome Jordan, our second round pick from last year, will be coming to camp this year and is a good bet to make the team. He played overseas last year and is a legitimate 7 footer who is in alot of ways the same as Moz was but a bit more athletic. We need a true PF backup since Shawne Williams is more or a SF than a PF. Two players that the Knicks should look at as FA signees are Rick Jackson from Syracuse and Julyan Stone, a 6'7" true PG that they had in for some pre-draft workouts. Also, do not forget that if we do not get a FA center to sign, ala Dalembert or Gasol, then looking to bring back Wilson Chandler at SG should be looked at. He is an unrestricted FA and unless Denver is looking to start him at SG, where I believe that Afflalo is the starter now with Gallo at the starting SF position, Will is on the outside looking in. Signing him could truly be an option if so interested. Also, although he cannot score, but definitely can provider some much needed rebounding help, FA Reggie Evans would be a cheap option as well. Then you have:

Billups/Shumpert/Julyan Stone
Chandler/Fields/Douglas
Melo/Williams/Chandler (option)
STAT/Reggie Evans/Rick Jackson
Turiaf/Jordan/Harrleson

Jeffries, Walker, Shelden Williams, Mason, Carter all would be gone and I would send Rautins and Derrick Brown to the D-League.

We don't have much cash at all to do much and we would have more options, a bit more size and still be athletic. We do need a shooter still to come off the bench.
mjc1241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:31 PM   #14
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I really hope this guy pans out. If he can shore up our back court defensively, and be a decent floor general, then all we need is a decent center, and the Knicks are in business.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:39 PM   #15
da dream
Kids at the park dunk on me

da dream has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc1241
You guys keep forgetting that Jerome Jordan, our second round pick from last year, will be coming to camp this year and is a good bet to make the team. He played overseas last year and is a legitimate 7 footer who is in alot of ways the same as Moz was but a bit more athletic. We need a true PF backup since Shawne Williams is more or a SF than a PF. Two players that the Knicks should look at as FA signees are Rick Jackson from Syracuse and Julyan Stone, a 6'7" true PG that they had in for some pre-draft workouts. Also, do not forget that if we do not get a FA center to sign, ala Dalembert or Gasol, then looking to bring back Wilson Chandler at SG should be looked at. He is an unrestricted FA and unless Denver is looking to start him at SG, where I believe that Afflalo is the starter now with Gallo at the starting SF position, Will is on the outside looking in. Signing him could truly be an option if so interested. Also, although he cannot score, but definitely can provider some much needed rebounding help, FA Reggie Evans would be a cheap option as well. Then you have:

Billups/Shumpert/Julyan Stone
Chandler/Fields/Douglas
Melo/Williams/Chandler (option)
STAT/Reggie Evans/Rick Jackson
Turiaf/Jordan/Harrleson

Jeffries, Walker, Shelden Williams, Mason, Carter all would be gone and I would send Rautins and Derrick Brown to the D-League.

We don't have much cash at all to do much and we would have more options, a bit more size and still be athletic. We do need a shooter still to come off the bench.

Knicks wont sign any one for more than one year so Chandler, Dalembart, Gasol etc are off the market. There best bet at a C is to overpay a Kawame Brown type for one season. However, I think jerome jordan will get the job done and and harrelson will be a fine backup with turiaf spelling them on occasion.
da dream is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: