Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 06-25-2011, 04:07 PM   #1
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Default Player Prediction Similarity Thread

It gets done every year, so here we go again.

Iman Shumpert and Josh Harrelson being the new Knicks, let's see if we can find a similar player in the League.

Here are my predictions.......

As far as Shump goes, I'm at a cross between Iggy's ball handling and overall stat filling, and Westbrook's ability to get in the paint and finish.

But if I had to lean one way, I'd go Westbrook.

I haven't seen much of Jorts, but Zaza comes to mind.

A guy who does good physical work in the paint, and can hit a short jumper.

Not a starter, but a good reserve for around 15-20 minutes at the most.

Thoughts guys?
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
bluechox2
#knickstape

Default Re: Player Prediction Similarity Thread

shumpert = ariza , pops in my mind for some reason, they probably will have a similar roads traveled in which ariza wasnt a known shooter (at all) at the beginning of his career with the knicks and everyone is making shumpert out to be a poor long range shooter right now. ariza now has a decent 3 point shot and i would probably expect shumpert to get cracking on his. Arizas defense has been his backbone and it was what helped the lakers win thier title that year. overall, ariza is good defender and slasher with intensity and a 3 point shot now, and i expect shumpert to be on that same path.

as for Harrelson, maybe an a permanent 1st year david lee type production and hustle minus any 20 point games...he will be that hustle guy who will not get any better than 1st year david lee.
bluechox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:20 PM   #3
mjc1241
Kids at the park dunk on me

Ariza is a good comparo, Westbrook is as well although it is questionable if Shumpert's offensive ability will be as good. I had a thought on a player and that is Wilson Chandler. Similar athletically, come from teams where they had to do a bit of everything and were the best players on their respective teams (Depaul and Georgia Tech), and the teams were average with the nod for competition being more difficult for Georgia Tech over their respective college careers.

Shumpert, although a pick that was considered a bit higher than projected, is in response to a few issues that we faced last year:

No legitimate back up, other than Anthony Carter, at PG since TD is more of a shooting guard. Anthony Carter, although possessing heart is still only 6'0" tall. We all remember what happened when Billups went out of the lineup for extended periods of time as well. Offensively we struggled and defensively we were toast. I did see Shumpert play a few times since I live in Atlanta and he was clearly the best player on the team who had to do much of the heavy lifting. Although I did not see the actual game, he did almost have a have a quadrouple double against Virginia Tech this year. He did wind up with a triple double with 22 pts/12 rebs/11 dimes.
Point guard and two guard defense was deplorable last year. Look at the times we played these PGs last year and see the results from the games; from D-Will, to D-Rose, to Westbrook, to J-Wall, to CP3, to Nash, to Rondo, to Andre Miller, to Jameer, to B-Jennings, to Curry, to Tony Parker, to Baron Davis. Shooting guards matchups: Kobe, Wade, Monta, Allen, Eric Gordon, Joe Johnson, Ginnobli; all killed us.
Not saying that Shumpert is the definitive answer but defense starts on the perimeter and the dribble penetration that we gave up at the PG position, as well as the offensive production that we gave up at the two guard position, was at least addressed with this pick.
Shumpert is going to play a much bigger role than Singleton or Faried would have since he will be getting alot more minutes than either of them would. Could we have gotten him with a later pick? Maybe. Would Reggie Jackson or Charles Jenkins have been available later? Jackson got picked by OKC later in the first round and Jenkins was picked by Golden State two picks prior to the 45th pick that we purchased. I guess that it is just assumed that everyone is looking to sell the second round picks but that is not the case. The only other pick that was purchased in the second round was the one that Golden State bought from Charlotte so it's not like they were readily available for the the picking. The one beef that I have is the GS pick purchase from Charlotte who picked Jeremy Tyler, the 6'11" project. Tyler over Harrleson is a no brainer but maybe the Knicks saw something in the workout from Tyler that they did not like. He is a bit of a head case with the road that he took but I believe worth the risk in buying that pick instead. Non guaranteed money anyway so it's not like he would have lost anything in the deal.
mjc1241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:50 PM   #4
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Shumpert reminds me a lot like Larry Hughes pre-Cavaliers. I've been noticing the similarities since he arrived at Georgia Tech, even down the outright dumb shots he takes. Shumpert believes he has a jumper, so he likes to pull up and take them. I dont know whether or not that was due to him being the only guy who could create his shot on the perimeter, or just how Paul Hewitt wanted it. He isnt as fast as a Russell Westbrook though. On defense, thats self explanatory. The guy is a good defender and he gets in the passing lanes.

I think this is a perfect fit. At best he'll emerge big time in a 3rd option role and then if we somehow are able to sign CP3 next summer, we could have an amazing group on the court. Big 3 + 1. Just like Boston had.

If not, he'll at least be a decent rotation player. Defense & the ability to create your own shot will keep you around in the league, hes probably at worst a CJ Miles type. Big guard, good athlete, who can get some baskets.

Jorts is ????????? Hes a goofy looking fat hustle big man.
Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:45 PM   #5
mjc1241

When I saw Georgia Tech play in person this past year, I wasn't quite sure what type of offense they ran. It looked a bit frenetic; undisciplined fast breaks, perimeter passing in the halfcourt with minimal movement on the opposite side of the ball, but Shumpert was clearly the best player and the most active. I like his game and if he does realize his potential, he can be pretty good in the league. As far as Jorts is concerned, I hear he likes contact and is one of the guys you want to have your back in a bar room fight. Here's my test for him if he makes the roster, the first time that we play the Celtics knowing how KG likes to talk shit, if this kid barks back and doesn't back down, he will make some fans on this forum.....We have not had a player with a nasty streak for some time on the team plus he likes to rebound.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:51 PM   #6
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Jorts isn't gonna win a barking battle with KG.

Honestly I doubt KG would even step to him.

This dude really looks like he doesn't mind tussling out there.

But if he lets his physical play do the talking he will definitely be that crowd favorite.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:25 AM   #7
Knicks101
Black Cesaro

Late career Larry Hughes, hopefully with better shot selection?
Knicks101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:10 AM   #8
Jasi
Quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickscity

Honestly I doubt KG would even step to him.

Of course he won't. He only barks at pg's, possibly white
Jasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:41 AM   #9
Clutch
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasi
Of course he won't. He only barks at pg's, possibly white
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:01 AM   #10
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

I like the Larry Hughes reference.I think Shumpert will best benefit us if he can learn to play pg at an NBA level.Maybe he can get to a Penny Hardaway level.Obviously he doesnt have as good passing instincts.Playing pg isnt impossible however.I look at a guy like Jru Holiday who I thought was overrated.Now he's becoming a decent NBA pg already and played well in the post season vs Miami.If Russell Westbrook and Tyreke Evans can become pg's,anyone can.However,that leaves questions on what our plans are regarding DWill or Paul.If he becomes good at running the point,do we still go after them?If he continues as a 2 who plays good D but is limited shooting wise,isn't he essentially Landry Fields?As I said before I'm not against us getting him but I do think there were other directions to go.End of the day, we got an athlete with a pro ready body.Theres always use for guys like that.

As for Harelson,I said before drafts like this (where there aren't any overwhelming superstars but there is talent deep into the draft),show who you are as a GM on draft night.I hate to rip the guy but I don't see the logic in drafting ppl who clearly are going to come into the league with negative things that will never change from jump.
1.)He'll never be an athlete
2.)He'll never be a scorer
3.)He'll never be legit center height.

Every year in draft rooms it becomes the battle of proven players (ex.Kemba Walker,JaJuan Johnson) vs guys with high potential (ex.Kyrie Irving,Jeremy Tyler).Who do you take?Well Josh doesn't show much potential AND he hasn't proven anything.He had a good game against Jared Sullinger and a decent tourny....that's it.

I reaally hope we bring in some talented free agents/undrafted rookies to work out.It really disappointed me that we werent more proactive in tryna find a GM before the draft;especially when guys like Chris Mullin and Kevin Pritchard were available.Contrary to popular belief,it's the acquisition of role players that make a GM talented.The superstars pretty much make the decision themselves.Getting the perfect pieces around them is the hard part. PPL are looking to 2012 but this is the summer we need to get young, cheap talent either as glue guys for our potential big three and/or for trade bait. Paul,DWill or Howard are going to make their decisions with their management teams,families and agents.I think GM's influence in the superstars decisions are way overblown.I don't liek the fact that we don't have a GM in what could be a critical and disrupted free agency.
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:30 PM   #11
mjc1241

KG barks at people he thinks he can intimidate that is why I made the reference. We'll see how they build the rest of the roster out...
I keep hearing that they were really looking at Reggie Jackson but they could not get a definitive word on this knee issue. They also think that it is because OKC gave him a promise that he might have been a bit elusive. Makes no sense being that he would have gotten more PT with the Knicks and more money due to being selected earlier at 17th instead of 24th.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: