Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 06-27-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

Default Ankle issues

I first messed my left ankle up badly in the 4th grade. Since then it seems like I would tweak it, roll it, or sprain it far too often. I've even tweaked it when putting my shoes on.

I'm pretty out of shape (22 years old, 6'0" barefoot, about 213 lbs) and began hitting the Y to shed some pounds and get shots up. I usually don't play games, and hadn't in a long time. One day about 3 weeks ago I was feeling up to it and played. I slipped and my bad ankle gave out. It wasn't too bad, just kind of sore so I kept playing.

Last night I played one on one with some kid. He did the wrap around/poke the ball away and I moved my foot to recover, only I caught his foot. My ankle gave out and I crumpled to the ground.

My ankle is twice the size as it should be, so sore that I can't put much pressure on it, have a hell of a time walking/going upstairs. I've taken ibuprofen and have been icing and compressing it with a brace every so often. It f*cking kills and I have a feeling this one will linger for quite some time.

Does anyone have any tips for strengthening ankles or will this problem just progressively get worse?
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
DKCS
Saw a basketball once

Default Re: Ankle issues

I used to have the same problems until I screwed up my ankle so bad I was forced to stay off of it for 4 months and go to physical therapy after that, I was told my hamstrings and calf muscles were so tight it was like walking on a tight rope when it came to spraining my ankles. I was not that I didn't ever stretch, just not enough. Not sure if you stretch a lot before you play but that was the solution to my problems. I also have been wearing a simple ankle support sleeve by Mcdavid. You can get them at any sporting goods store for $10.
DKCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:54 PM   #3
Ruh-Roh
Da Bulls.

I've had more than my share of tweaks and sprains. After one, you are much more susceptible to repeats as the tendons begin getting too stretchy and don't hold everything in place the way they should which can affect you later in life even more.

If the room is quiet you can hear my ankles clicking and popping when i walk, on stairs its even more noticeable. There are basic physical therapy exercises you can do and should do to tighten everything back up. Some people have stronger ankles than before their first injury after sticking to their routines.

You should probably get an x-ray though.
Ruh-Roh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:51 AM   #4
Quizno
Biyombo Smash!!

weird, man..last night i rolled my left ankle really bad playing ball. i can't put any weight on it all and i'm gonna be on crutches for the next week or so. here's a pic, the swelling had gone down a bit at this point but it's still pretty significant

been icing it all day. i have a job interview tomorrow and i don't really wanna go on crutches..
Quizno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:22 PM   #5
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

^ Damn dude, that's almost exactly what mine looked like. It's been 3 days now and the swelling is gone, but I still can't walk normally. I have a significant limp and can only put pressure on the outer part of my foot. I have no crutches so I'm just dealing with it, and hoping to at least walk right in about 4 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKCS
I used to have the same problems until I screwed up my ankle so bad I was forced to stay off of it for 4 months and go to physical therapy after that, I was told my hamstrings and calf muscles were so tight it was like walking on a tight rope when it came to spraining my ankles. I was not that I didn't ever stretch, just not enough. Not sure if you stretch a lot before you play but that was the solution to my problems. I also have been wearing a simple ankle support sleeve by Mcdavid. You can get them at any sporting goods store for $10.

That's a good call man, thanks for that. I had some lower back issues like 3 years ago and a sports physician told me that I had the tightest hamstrings that he'd felt in 20 years of being a doctor I've been stretching more, but probably not nearly enough. I also don't wear my brace anymore because it's uncomfortable (I should get a new one).

Plus I was playing in low cut running shoes the other day, because I was just going to shoot around and not play games. I'm sure that's part of it since I usually wear high tops.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:12 PM   #6
theydidntnameme
Saw a basketball once

hey i feel like i can help you with this.

ive sprained ankles numerous times over the years. im 22. my dad is the old fashioned type so whenever i sprained my ankle id just force myself to walk on it and it would eventually get better.

a few years ago i sprained my left ankle really bad. i heard a popping sound when i sprained it. i knew it was bad so i got it checked out and xrayed and stuff. they told me it was a sprain (of course... -_-) and that there was a "possible minor avulsion fracture". i didnt know what that was at the time. basically when the tendon was stretched, it tore off some of the bone. they told me i needed no special treatment, just rest and youll be fine.

so i rested for a long time (months) and began playing when everything seemed normal again. my ankle was clearly not the same though. i didnt have the same range of motion and my other ankle, and at times it felt weak, like if i spun too hard off of it, i would sprain it again or something. i tried ice, and the whole drawing the alphabet with your foot thing to rehab it. i didnt notice much of an improvement.

then one day i stumbled upon an article about derek fisher and how he stays injury free. they mentioned something i didnt know of at the time, proprioception. basically derek fisher does a lot of training on balance. for example standing on one foot with his eyes closed. and they mentioned it helps him stay injury free. so i did some research. there was a study on football linemen on ankle sprains, and for their test subjects, they had some players practice balancing on one foot for several minutes each day. the players that worked on their balance had far less ankle sprains (if any at all) in the future then the group of players that didnt do the balance exercises.

basically what im getting at is i started doing this. balance on one foot for as long as you can every day. eventually youll develop better balance. you're also at the same time strengthening the muscles around your ankle. together these will prevent ankle sprains. i do these exercises all the time and ive never had an ankle sprain since. the most common cause of ankle sprains for me was when i would do a jump stop onto someone's foot and prepare to explode into the air. the uneven launch pad (starting on someone's foot) combined with my excessive force pushed down in order to launch into the air meant my ankle would give way and id sprain it. i havent sprained my ankle in years. and its not because i stopped going to the basket... i go to the basket as much as i ever did. ive had a number of times where i landed on someone's foot HARD. and my ankle stayed strong and didnt bend out and sprain. everytime it happened i realized those exercises worked for me.... so try it. spend a few minutes each day balancing on one foot at a time. when you get better, take off your shoes and do it barefoot. when you get better at that, do it with your eyes closed and barefoot. this has helped me tremendously and if you stick to the routine i think it will help you too.

sorry for the long post lol.... but you should really give this a try... just practice balancing on one foot and youll improve your balance and ankle strength. that will keep your ankle from giving out.. good luck
theydidntnameme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:15 AM   #7
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by theydidntnameme

then one day i stumbled upon an article about derek fisher and how he stays injury free. they mentioned something i didnt know of at the time, proprioception. basically derek fisher does a lot of training on balance. for example standing on one foot with his eyes closed. and they mentioned it helps him stay injury free. so i did some research. there was a study on football linemen on ankle sprains, and for their test subjects, they had some players practice balancing on one foot for several minutes each day. the players that worked on their balance had far less ankle sprains (if any at all) in the future then the group of players that didnt do the balance exercises.

basically what im getting at is i started doing this. balance on one foot for as long as you can every day. eventually youll develop better balance. you're also at the same time strengthening the muscles around your ankle. together these will prevent ankle sprains.

Yep, balance. Stand on one foot and close your eyes, count and see how long you can stand. Try to increase time every time you do this. If you lift do unilateral exercises. I also do ball spins around my foot while standing on that foot only.
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:04 PM   #8
Samurai Swoosh
Root Of All Evil

I had a hair line fracture in my ankle last year ... made a post about it. Happened during men's league game. I couldn't ball on it (and believe me, foolishly I tried) about 2 months after it happened. Couldn't move laterally at all. It wasn't until a full fledged 8 months beforeI could get out there again without any pain or discomfort. And even then it still aches pretty bad after I play. And to this day, even after months of physical therapy, they measure it all the time, it's still more swollen then my other ankle. It's just something you have to live with. I reccomend icing as much as possible. Especially after activity. I know it's painful but you have to do it. Consume as much potassium as you can ... it helps a lot. Make sure you stretch and keep strengthing it as much as possible. Buy an elastic resistance band at your local sports store ... and work it out while you watch tv or something.
Samurai Swoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:03 PM   #9
gblz
Learning to shoot layups

I feel you OP. I'm still recovering from an ankle sprain over a year ago. It's still sore every time I ball.

Look into some resistance band workouts. Start doing rotational exercises when it no longer hurts to do so. Then after every session, cool your ankle down with ice to suppress the swelling. After a while, start rehabbing that ankle via resistance band + calf exercises.
gblz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:49 AM   #10
rush
Learning to shoot layups

Feel for ya. Once you roll your ankle, you keep rolling it.

It's a viscious cycle, and the more you roll it, the weaker the tendons and tissues stabilizing your ankle get...
rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:51 AM   #11
rush
Learning to shoot layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizno
weird, man..last night i rolled my left ankle really bad playing ball. i can't put any weight on it all and i'm gonna be on crutches for the next week or so. here's a pic, the swelling had gone down a bit at this point but it's still pretty significant

been icing it all day. i have a job interview tomorrow and i don't really wanna go on crutches..

Looks like your toes bled... up your shoe size...

I notice a lot of people telling me their toes bleed, and when I try pushing the tip of their shoes, their toes are jampacked in there without any breathing room.
rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:40 AM   #12
Quizno
Biyombo Smash!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush
Looks like your toes bled... up your shoe size...

I notice a lot of people telling me their toes bleed, and when I try pushing the tip of their shoes, their toes are jampacked in there without any breathing room.
yeah you're right, they're too small. i did get some pretty nasty blisters
Old 07-16-2011, 01:43 AM   #13
Draz
The People's Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizno

Ew. You look like you had a billion bed bugs suck your feat dry
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:13 PM   #14
DJmicah
Road to Greatness

Crossed up that bad eh...
DJmicah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:43 PM   #15
Quizno
Biyombo Smash!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draz
Ew. You look like you had a billion bed bugs suck your feat dry
wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJmicah
Crossed up that bad eh...
nahh, i took a baseline jumper and the guy defending me put his foot under me when i went up and i landed on his foot and it just destroyed my ankle. it's a lot better now and i can almost run on it, but it got worse before it got better..

damn, sorry for hijacking your thread profmurder. how's your ankle doing?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: