Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 06-29-2011, 12:41 PM   #16
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation
Default Re: Top 25 Players at Each Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy
and his defense is really lackluster.

Quote regarding Derozan --

Sorry based on what??

This is the second or thrid such comment I have seen and I dont find it defensible.

I watched in person 4 games, on tv another 20 - probably listened to another 35 games on the radio.

Derozan is "honestly not a lock down defender at the 3" but I have yet to see a game where he didnt try and give effort that was at least a notch better than others on the team.

DD is in hs 2nd year pro - he is guarding some of the most athletically talented opposition players consistently - given he was in the starting rotation and he screwed up "a couple of few times". He got little or no help on the inside rotation to support him against the drive - do we really need to spell out why that was ???? If his opponent drove by him high the pg or sg that could rotate back to close a lane usually gave a lazy hand check move... do we really need to spell out why that was???

DD is not a Gwal nor a MJ on D but neither were those guys IN THEIR 2ND YEAR.

Did I miss a ton of games where DD mailed in the D effort ?? I mean for the entire game or something - cause I sure didnt see it.

DD's defense is "respectible with effort" and for a 2nd year player - thats ok. No question he has to work on it - but then thats why we hired the coach we did....everyone on this team has to work on it - most a LOT more than DD.

Last edited by Jballer : 06-29-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:59 PM   #17
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jballer

Sorry based on what??

This is the second or thrid such comment I have seen and I dont find it defensible.

I watched in person 4 games, on tv another 20 - probably listened to another 35 games on the radio.

Derozan is "honestly not a lock down defender at the 3" but I have yet to see a game where he didnt try and give effort that was at least a notch better than others on the team.

DD is in hs 2nd year pro - he is guarding some of the most athletically talented opposition players consistently - given he was in the starting rotation and he screwed up "a couple of few times". He got little or no help on the inside rotation to support him against the drive - do we really need to spell out why that was ???? If his opponent drove by him high the pg or sg that could rotate back to close a lane usually gave a lazy hand check move... do we really need to spell out why that was???

Did I miss a ton of games where DD mailed in the D effort ?? I mean for the entire game or something - cause I sure didnt see it.

DD's defense is "respectible with effort" and for a 2nd year player - thats ok. No question he has to work on it - but then thats why we hired the coach we did....everyone on this team has to work on it - most a LOT more than DD.

Derozan is one of the only players on the Raps that give a damn about defense. I agree with Jballer 100%.
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #18
Doko
High School Starter

Doko has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerap
I'm guessing you will start from bargs at 21 and jose not in the top 25...
something he got right

Ridnour, Stuckey, Holiday, Hill, Hinrich over Jose is an absolute joke.

Big Al, Lopez, Monroe, Camby, Varejao, Hibbert, Dalembert, Asik over Bargs is a complete joke as well.

Blake Griffin over basically everyone in the top 8 PF is hilarious.

Demar over J-Rich, Vince, Crawford, Hamilton, Afflalo, Mayo is sadly far from reality.

Rose #1 PG is a joke too.

Gallo, despite how much I like him, is not better than Smith, Butler, Green, Marion, AK, Lewis.

And how in hell is Andre Miller a top 10 PG in the NBA?
Doko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:39 PM   #19
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

some good points, but you still have an obvious bias toward your hometown euros. you need to ditch the rose-coloured glasses.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:41 PM   #20
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doko
Ridnour, Stuckey, Holiday, Hill, Hinrich over Jose is an absolute joke.

Big Al, Lopez, Monroe, Camby, Varejao, Hibbert, Dalembert, Asik over Bargs is a complete joke as well.

Blake Griffin over basically everyone in the top 8 PF is hilarious.

Demar over J-Rich, Vince, Crawford, Hamilton, Afflalo, Mayo is sadly far from reality.

Rose #1 PG is a joke too.

Gallo, despite how much I like him, is not better than Smith, Butler, Green, Marion, AK, Lewis.

And how in hell is Andre Miller a top 10 PG in the NBA?
I agree about those guys over Jose is pretty ridiculous. About Bargnani, I'd have Jefferson, Lopez, and Hibbert over Bargnani, but not the others. DeMar's ranking is questionable too, but with the way Vince and Rip have played this past season, it's not ridiculous, but still questionable.

Rose, I think because he got MVP they kind of had to put him at #1.

All in all, it's an okay list, but obviously flawed. Nobody is ever going to agree on a ranking system.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:55 PM   #21
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

I seen it over on the RealGM board. Gives you an idea about how someone from the States and an analyst on NBA.com sees our team. We have 2 players ranked in the top 125 players in the league. And nobody in the top 10. Just another outlook on how shitty we are. Jose should have been listed but I'd rather have most of those players over him anyways.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:02 PM   #22
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
I agree about those guys over Jose is pretty ridiculous. About Bargnani, I'd have Jefferson, Lopez, and Hibbert over Bargnani, but not the others. DeMar's ranking is questionable too, but with the way Vince and Rip have played this past season, it's not ridiculous, but still questionable.

Rose, I think because he got MVP they kind of had to put him at #1.

All in all, it's an okay list, but obviously flawed. Nobody is ever going to agree on a ranking system.

I think they ranked these according to what that position is stereotypically. So if you are a Center, you need to rebound. And Bargs does not rebound well. Or at all. So if you look closely, I can agree on why he is so far down the list.
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:09 PM   #23
Doko
High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Low
I think they ranked these according to what that position is stereotypically. So if you are a Center, you need to rebound. And Bargs does not rebound well. Or at all. So if you look closely, I can agree on why he is so far down the list.

It would make sense, except for the fact that Brook Lopez is in the top 10.

Sure as hell there are not 13 spots of difference between those two, even stat wise (rebounding wise).
Old 06-29-2011, 07:11 PM   #24
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Quote:

Sure as hell there are not 13 spots of difference between those two, even stat wise (rebounding wise).

There is a lot more to the game of basketball then stats. There are lots of intangibles that do not show up on the score sheet. Even with an off year Brook Lopez is considered one of the better young centers of the East. He protects the paint well and plays good help D. I'm positive 98% of Raptors fans would take him over Bargnani.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:55 PM   #25
Doko
High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
There is a lot more to the game of basketball then stats. There are lots of intangibles that do not show up on the score sheet. Even with an off year Brook Lopez is considered one of the better young centers of the East. He protects the paint well and plays good help D. I'm positive 98% of Raptors fans would take him over Bargnani.

You clearly never saw Brook Lopez play, since his defense sucks badly.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:56 PM   #26
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Quote:

Brooks ability to rebound is in question. He averaged almost 10 the year before last, but last year he was just over 5 per game. Really odd discrepancy there.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:31 PM   #27
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jballer

Sorry based on what??

Derozan tries on D most of the times; but he's AWFUL on D. He was really bad last year. He was Bargnani-esque at the SG, the only thing is, it's easier to cover for a SG's deficiency with a big than to cover a big with perimeter players...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:12 PM   #28
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
You clearly never saw Brook Lopez play, since his defense sucks badly.

Not as bad as Bargnani
Old 06-29-2011, 11:13 PM   #29
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
Brooks ability to rebound is in question. He averaged almost 10 the year before last, but last year he was just over 5 per game. Really odd discrepancy there.

Yeah I really didn't understand what happened last year he was a beast in 2010..
Old 06-30-2011, 07:55 AM   #30
Doko
High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
Not as bad as Bargnani

Even if that was true, Lopez would be a slightly better defender, while Bargs is a slightly better scorer and they're equal in rebounding, that still doesn't explain how Lopez is top 10 and Bargs #21.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: