Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 06-29-2011, 04:39 AM   #1
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation
Default A good move for the not so athletic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eEMPqlIWjo

Yea I know it's just some 11 year olds, but what the coach is saying, is exactly why the spin move is so effective and should be used. As someone who doesn't exactly have a quick step off the dribble, for me, and I'm sure for many of you as well, I am not able to get by my guy consistently and many times he is on my hip. Instead of settling for a jumpshot every time, this move is great because their are so many things you can do with it. You could spin and continue your dribble to the basket or wherever, spin and shoot a little floater or jumper, spin and fade away, spin and pump fake... Watch Dirk and how effective he uses it even as a 7 footer with virtually no footspeed. Other times it can really help is like if the coach said when someone is up tight on you on the perimeter, just simply spin away from them... or while dribbling up the court.

It's so basic and such a simple move, but I don't see many guys using it outside of dribbling up the court. Most guys that aren't super quick and can cross people up or just blow by them don't even attempt to have much of an off the dribble game because they think they can't get by their man. By spinning tho, you can create almost if not just as much space as those guys.

So yea basically when your man is able to stay in front of you, just use the spin... Chances are he's not going to be able to guard your initial drive and the spin. If he's able to recover, chances are 100% that you have still created more space than you would have had giving you room to do another move... or just give up that battle and dish it off or maintain your dribble and try again

Examples of Spin moves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98WJJRPBCGs - Bosh stayed in front so a little dosey-doe and away he goes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU-_H...eature=related - Man that was nasty
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxsA5...eature=related - typical Kobe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMMBy...eature=related - Spin and Dribble example getting space for jumpshot

another video showing it from Ganon Baker: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIkmK...eature=related

Last edited by Swaggin916 : 06-29-2011 at 04:57 AM.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:00 AM   #2
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation
Default Re: A good move for the not so athletic

Another tip. Use it simply as a counter move... otherwise if you are past your guy enough just take it to the rack or find a teammate. Don't like I'm gonna spin here... just react with it. Use it like that, your defender won't ever be able to read it.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:48 AM   #3
brownmamba00
Cali Love

brownmamba00 is a pretty well-respected posterbrownmamba00 is a pretty well-respected posterbrownmamba00 is a pretty well-respected posterbrownmamba00 is a pretty well-respected poster

I over-use it just because it's fancy but I am quick enough to get by my man tho.

If only I could shoot
brownmamba00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:25 PM   #4
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I use Dirk/Pierce-esque fade aways. Works perfectly for me. Get contact, create a little space, awkwardly shoot off of one leg in a place no one my size can block
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:34 AM   #5
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Played the other day and must have used the spin like 5 times and was able to get off a good shot 4/5 and was off balance for the other one. I think I made 2 of them... but what's important is that it got me that good look ha cus I didn't get past my guy at all
Old 07-03-2011, 08:59 PM   #6
gblz
I airball my layups

gblz has an OK reputation so far

Very useful against aggressive defenders that sits on you with their chest. Just sweep-drive right first step, then immediately spin left, using the guy's body to balance your momentum.

Pretty much like the Dirk vs Bosh video.
gblz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:48 AM   #7
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblz
Very useful against aggressive defenders that sits on you with their chest. Just sweep-drive right first step, then immediately spin left, using the guy's body to balance your momentum.

Pretty much like the Dirk vs Bosh video.

Yea and when you use your body there is nothing they can do... they are pretty much dead in the water and just hope you miss the shot.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:12 PM   #8
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

When i'm getting pressured full court my main movement to protect the ball and still advance on the court is spin moving .. not the explosive move, but the one with protection.
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:05 AM   #9
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Yea dude and really it's the safest most energy efficient way to get it up the court. Let the other guard waste energy trying to defend it.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:58 AM   #10
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller

01amberfirewv has an OK reputation so far

like the ove and use it as described but I disagree about the other type of spin move. I use that in fast break situations to go around a slower moving defender. Like Micha describes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoxjME5vWT4
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:21 AM   #11
z14h
I airball my layups

z14h has an OK reputation so far

I love the spin-move. I normally play in the paint which is why the spin-move is important to me.
z14h is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: