Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-30-2011, 05:32 AM   #1
PHILA
Decent college freshman

Default 1993 WCSF Gm. 2 Spurs vs. Suns

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liFutNz47Rc

PHILA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:49 AM   #2
L.A. Jazz
Local High School Star

Default Re: 1993 WCSF Gm. 2 Spurs vs. Suns

what a loaded team. Charles and KJ with Thunder Dan, Tom Chambers and Ainge.
L.A. Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:16 PM   #3
Round Mound
NBA lottery pick

Sir Charles schooling the Mid Range Region for 8-10, 8 Rebounds and 4 Steals at the Half
Round Mound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:27 PM   #4
Bigsmoke
Death Before Dishonor

meh

i wanna see Game 5
Bigsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:35 PM   #5
Bigsmoke
Death Before Dishonor

4:18

Barkley's defense was horrible there.
Bigsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:37 PM   #6
Round Mound
NBA lottery pick

Stats for Sir Charles in this game:

35 Points (12-18 or 66.7% FG), 10 Rebounds, 7 Steals, 2 Assists, 3 Blocks

"Nobody in the History of this Game Passes the Ball Better When They are Doubled or Tripled Team Below the FT than Charles Barkley"

Last edited by Round Mound : 07-31-2011 at 12:47 AM.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:22 PM   #7
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

Good to see some of this series on youtube. Thanks for uploading this. Barkley in his prime.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:46 AM   #8
Round Mound
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
Good to see some of this series on youtube. Thanks for uploading this. Barkley in his prime.

And all the Fools that Hated Barkley Sailed Away
Old 07-31-2011, 12:50 AM   #9
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Round Mound
And all the Fools that Hated Barkley Sailed Away

ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:37 AM   #10
PHILA
Decent college freshman

Game 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Grq--LJNefs

New York Times - May 19, 1993

Charles Barkley finally found shots he could make tonight: three-footers. After four games of roaming the perimeter, the strongest of the Phoenix Suns asserted his tired self in the second half to clear out room underneath.

With his team trailing the San Antonio Spurs by 1 point halfway through the final period tonight, Barkley notched 13 straight points -- including consecutive 3-point plays with a fouling David Robinson draped on top of him. Lethargic for much of the first half, Barkley became so giddy that he eventually dropped in a 3-point shot from 28 feet to secure the 109-97 Suns victory.

Phoenix leads the four-of-seven-game Western Division series, three games to two, with the next game in San Antonio on Thursday. And, Barkley is the one who has piggybacked the Suns on his sturdy back. Held to 8 first-half points and 2 first-half rebounds, he finished with 36 points, 19 points in the fourth quarter, 12 rebounds -- and was absolutely exhausted.

No Rest for Robinson

Robinson, his San Antonio counterpart, is breathing just as heavily. The center played every second of the game, and it showed. After a 17-point first half, Robinson only scored 5 points in the second half and 2 in the final quarter, a final quarter that San Antonio once led by 7 points.

But the Suns outscored the Spurs 31-14 in the final 12 minutes.

"Nearly every basket I scored was on the offensive boards," Barkley said.

"Physically, the playoffs have been a struggle for me, body wise, and I haven't played the way I like to, but I'm starting to feel better. My doctors have patched up my shoulder and hamstring."

A Close Shave

A scratch between Barkley's shoulder blades has healed neatly. The gash is about two weeks old, and although Barkley can not recall the exact moment it was inflicted, he suspects Los Angeles Lakers forward A. C. Green climbed his back, fingernails first.

"Yep, it was A. C.," the power forward said before tonight's game. As he spoke, he was stationed in front of an eight-foot mirror, shaving his head even balder with an electric razor.

Teammate Cedric Ceballos wanted to take the razor from him, and actually asked for it, but Barkley said, "You're not getting these clippers for a while, sucker. I've got to make myself look good."

But until tonight's second half, Barkley had not looked good. He and his fellow Suns had been climbing the Spurs' backs, and Robinson is one difficult person to scale.

In the first four games, the Suns had been outrebounded, 196-148, and Barkley had been operating around the top of the key instead of the top of the rim. His shooting percentage was a cool 41.3 percent.

The prevailing opinion, and Suns guard Danny Ainge is spreading it, is that the Spurs were impressively forcing Barkley into catching the ball "15 to 20 feet from the basket."

"I think I'm just missing my shots," Barkley said. "They can't make me do anything. They've just got to hope I miss. They can't stop me."

But Barkley clearly is not the same springy player he was a month ago, even a year ago. After a long summer in Barcelona, Spain, with the Olympic basketball team, Barkley conceded he is wearing down.

In tonight's first half, Barkley was barely visible. Beefy Spurs forward Antoine Carr had hounded him much of the first four games, but Carr has a sprained and swollen right ankle and watched this game on television. Carr's substitute was supposed to be robust Larry Smith, but Spurs Coach John Lucas surprised everyone when he used J. R. Reid and David Wood on Barkley instead.

Barkley, expected to feast on these defenders, mustered only 8 first-half points, only 2 rebounds and only 1 assist. The Suns led narrowly, 62-60, at intermission, and there had to be reason to panic -- considering Phoenix shot 74 percent for the half and still had a teetering lead. A clumsy Barkley even let a rebound carom off his clean-shaven head, straight to the Spurs.

And then came the second half and Barkley did his inside job.

Last edited by PHILA : 07-31-2011 at 02:39 AM.
PHILA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:12 AM   #11
Round Mound
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILA
Game 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Grq--LJNefs

New York Times - May 19, 1993

Charles Barkley finally found shots he could make tonight: three-footers. After four games of roaming the perimeter, the strongest of the Phoenix Suns asserted his tired self in the second half to clear out room underneath.

With his team trailing the San Antonio Spurs by 1 point halfway through the final period tonight, Barkley notched 13 straight points -- including consecutive 3-point plays with a fouling David Robinson draped on top of him. Lethargic for much of the first half, Barkley became so giddy that he eventually dropped in a 3-point shot from 28 feet to secure the 109-97 Suns victory.

Phoenix leads the four-of-seven-game Western Division series, three games to two, with the next game in San Antonio on Thursday. And, Barkley is the one who has piggybacked the Suns on his sturdy back. Held to 8 first-half points and 2 first-half rebounds, he finished with 36 points, 19 points in the fourth quarter, 12 rebounds -- and was absolutely exhausted.

No Rest for Robinson

Robinson, his San Antonio counterpart, is breathing just as heavily. The center played every second of the game, and it showed. After a 17-point first half, Robinson only scored 5 points in the second half and 2 in the final quarter, a final quarter that San Antonio once led by 7 points.

But the Suns outscored the Spurs 31-14 in the final 12 minutes.

"Nearly every basket I scored was on the offensive boards," Barkley said.

"Physically, the playoffs have been a struggle for me, body wise, and I haven't played the way I like to, but I'm starting to feel better. My doctors have patched up my shoulder and hamstring."

A Close Shave

A scratch between Barkley's shoulder blades has healed neatly. The gash is about two weeks old, and although Barkley can not recall the exact moment it was inflicted, he suspects Los Angeles Lakers forward A. C. Green climbed his back, fingernails first.

"Yep, it was A. C.," the power forward said before tonight's game. As he spoke, he was stationed in front of an eight-foot mirror, shaving his head even balder with an electric razor.

Teammate Cedric Ceballos wanted to take the razor from him, and actually asked for it, but Barkley said, "You're not getting these clippers for a while, sucker. I've got to make myself look good."

But until tonight's second half, Barkley had not looked good. He and his fellow Suns had been climbing the Spurs' backs, and Robinson is one difficult person to scale.

In the first four games, the Suns had been outrebounded, 196-148, and Barkley had been operating around the top of the key instead of the top of the rim. His shooting percentage was a cool 41.3 percent.

The prevailing opinion, and Suns guard Danny Ainge is spreading it, is that the Spurs were impressively forcing Barkley into catching the ball "15 to 20 feet from the basket."

"I think I'm just missing my shots," Barkley said. "They can't make me do anything. They've just got to hope I miss. They can't stop me."

But Barkley clearly is not the same springy player he was a month ago, even a year ago. After a long summer in Barcelona, Spain, with the Olympic basketball team, Barkley conceded he is wearing down.

In tonight's first half, Barkley was barely visible. Beefy Spurs forward Antoine Carr had hounded him much of the first four games, but Carr has a sprained and swollen right ankle and watched this game on television. Carr's substitute was supposed to be robust Larry Smith, but Spurs Coach John Lucas surprised everyone when he used J. R. Reid and David Wood on Barkley instead.

Barkley, expected to feast on these defenders, mustered only 8 first-half points, only 2 rebounds and only 1 assist. The Suns led narrowly, 62-60, at intermission, and there had to be reason to panic -- considering Phoenix shot 74 percent for the half and still had a teetering lead. A clumsy Barkley even let a rebound carom off his clean-shaven head, straight to the Spurs.

And then came the second half and Barkley did his inside job.

Great Descriptions of the Game and Stars :cheers:
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: