Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2011, 01:48 AM   #1
Pokerface
Great young streetballer
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 499
Default Nene to opt out of Denver Nuggets contract

Nene has until tomorrow to either opt out of his contract or extend with the Nuggets. Indications are that he is unhappy with the Nuggets and he expects to opt out. Will he do it and does it make sense for him? Who will the Nuggets replace him with?
Pokerface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:02 AM   #2
FourthTenor
Banned
 
FourthTenor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,842
Default Re: Will NENE Really Opt Out???

Yes he should opt out, I expect that he will.
FourthTenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:11 AM   #3
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.
 
NuggetsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NuggetNation.
Posts: 10,193
Default Re: Will NENE Really Opt Out???

I'll really respect him if he does. He's guaranteed 11.6 mill next season. Denver would probably give him a 3-4 year deal with him making 10-12 mill a year I imagine. With the CBA talks he could be looking at a completely different contract. Plus I doubt any other team throws 11.6 mill at him but haven't really checked who has cap space. A team like NJ? In Denver he'd get the ball just as much and it's not like Denver isn't poised to at the very least make the playoffs.

If he really dislikes Denver you'd think he'd either A. Cash in his 11.6 mill this year and than hit the new free agency next year or B. Extend with Denver and just force his way out if he really doesn't want to be here.

His fiance his from Denver too pretty sure. Looking like if he does .. it could just straight up be to win a championship. Witch strikes me as odd because never really seen that fire in him personally. Gotta love a dude who wants to win and doesn't care about the money tho, if that is the case. Could just really dislike Denver\management\Karl
NuggetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:16 AM   #4
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar
 
ihatetimthomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Land of 16 NBA Championships
Posts: 13,378
Default Re: Will NENE Really Opt Out???

Nene has said last season that he plans on opting out. That is a lot of money, but the free agent market stinks this season and he would be the most coveted big man free agent. Denver takes a big hit without him.
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:17 AM   #5
chazzy
3-time NBA All-Star
 
chazzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: LA
Posts: 10,935
Default Re: Will NENE Really Opt Out???

He did apparently:

Quote:
Nene is set to officially become a free agent.
The Nuggets starting center will opt out of the final year of his contract worth about $12 million and, as a result, become an unrestricted free agent, a source said Wednesday night. It means Nene can sign with any team without the Nuggets getting a chance to match the offer when free agency begins after the expected NBA lockout, which should begin Friday.
Nene had until Thursday to make a final decision.
http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci...#ixzz1Qj2LW5ev
chazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:17 AM   #6
FourthTenor
Banned
 
FourthTenor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,842
Default Re: Will NENE Really Opt Out???

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
I'll really respect him if he does. He's guaranteed 11.6 mill next season. Denver would probably give him a 3-4 year deal with him making 10-12 mill a year I imagine. With the CBA talks he could be looking at a completely different contract. Plus I doubt any other team throws 11.6 mill at him but haven't really checked who has cap space. A team like NJ? In Denver he'd get the ball just as much and it's not like Denver isn't poised to at the very least make the playoffs.

If he really dislikes Denver you'd think he'd either A. Cash in his 11.6 mill this year and than hit the new free agency next year or B. Extend with Denver and just force his way out if he really doesn't want to be here.

His fiance his from Denver too pretty sure. Looking like if he does .. it could just straight up be to win a championship. Witch strikes me as odd because never really seen that fire in him personally. Gotta love a dude who wants to win and doesn't care about the money tho, if that is the case. Could just really dislike Denver\management\Karl




Dude, the reason he would opt out would simply to get a new guaranteed deal worth a total of 30-40 million rather than start next season with only 11 million guaranteed to him and risk any kind of freak event that could end his career.

You take the money in hand. That's all.

You're reading way too much into it.
FourthTenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:42 AM   #7
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.
 
NuggetsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NuggetNation.
Posts: 10,193
Default Re: Will NENE Really Opt Out???

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourthTenor



Dude, the reason he would opt out would simply to get a new guaranteed deal worth a total of 30-40 million rather than start next season with only 11 million guaranteed to him and risk any kind of freak event that could end his career.

You take the money in hand. That's all.

You're reading way too much into it.

True. I was just under the impression that him and Denver can't work anything out. Doubt Denver's offering anything less than 10-11 mill. Pretty sure there was an article aways back saying they were trying to get a 3-4 year at 10-12 mill a year deal done.

When he becomes a UFA next year couldn't the contract be waay different? He could be looking at making 6-7 mill a year, no? If things drastically change. So if he wants the cash he could have just extended with Denver ... wouldn't that ultimately be the smartest choice money wise?. Isn't that why Carmelo forced his way to NY and didn't just hit the FA market like Nene is about too, because you could potentially lose all that cash?.

Maybe I'm missing something

Looks like he opted out tho.
NuggetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:27 AM   #8
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.
 
bdreason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: HB, CA
Posts: 21,519
Default Re: Will NENE Really Opt Out???

Doesn't the ability to sign contracts end today (Thursday)?


That means if he doesn't get a deal done in the next 24 hours, he is stuck in limbo until the next CBA is completed. Seems like a big gamble... maybe I'm wrong.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:29 AM   #9
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports
 
All Net's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 22,737
Default Re: Will NENE Really Opt Out???

Question is who has the money to offer him a good deal? surely he will get less than what he opted out for?
All Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:00 AM   #10
el gringos
Great college starter
 
el gringos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,511
Default Re: Will NENE Really Opt Out???

he has to jump off the ship karl and kroenke are running straight into the ground- why would a guy in his prime choose to play for an organization not trying to win
el gringos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:03 AM   #11
hawkfan
Billy Ocean Fan
 
hawkfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,372
Default Re: Will NENE Really Opt Out???

Didn't the Knicks have draft rights to Nene and trade him away?

Wouldn't have been better to have kept him, since they are still looking for a center?
hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:43 AM   #12
insidehoops
Administrator
 
insidehoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,649
Default Re: Will NENE Really Opt Out???

He reportedly will opt out: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=7913
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:47 AM   #13
kurple
NBA All-star
 
kurple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,664
Default Re: Nene to opt out of Denver Nuggets contract

The nuggets gave him an offer, less than what he expected because they don't wanna overpay with the new CBA. Nene decided to opt out trying to force the nugget to step up.
kurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:20 AM   #14
Bigsmoke
Death Before Dishonor
 
Bigsmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: CHICAGO
Posts: 17,186
Default Re: Nene to opt out of Denver Nuggets contract

Nene to the Heat
Bigsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:23 AM   #15
Bigsmoke
Death Before Dishonor
 
Bigsmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: CHICAGO
Posts: 17,186
Default Re: Nene to opt out of Denver Nuggets contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurple
The nuggets gave him an offer, less than what he expected because they don't wanna overpay with the new CBA. Nene decided to opt out trying to force the nugget to step up.

lol did we had this argument last winter?

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=206316
Bigsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:55 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy