Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-29-2011, 06:29 AM   #1
therammingman
National High School Star

therammingman has a very bad reputationtherammingman has a very bad reputationtherammingman has a very bad reputationtherammingman has a very bad reputation
Default Could a deaf player make it in the NBA?

Or are there too many issues? Not hearing plays, teammates, whistles, etc.
therammingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:38 AM   #2
Marv_Albert
GUESS WHO'S BACK

Marv_Albert has not been impressing people
Default Re: Could a deaf player make it in the NBA?

Some dude that used to play for the cavs who plays here in new zealand now was deaf
Marv_Albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:18 AM   #3
dirkdiggler41
(no Dirk homer)

dirkdiggler41 is popular on this boarddirkdiggler41 is popular on this boarddirkdiggler41 is popular on this boarddirkdiggler41 is popular on this boarddirkdiggler41 is popular on this board

If he into the college or pro level overseas, there should be no problem.
dirkdiggler41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:54 AM   #4
jbryan1984
Good college starter

jbryan1984 is considered somewhat cooljbryan1984 is considered somewhat cooljbryan1984 is considered somewhat cool

Lance Allred.
jbryan1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
Boki4MVP
I airball my layups

Boki4MVP has an OK reputation so far

yes. grew up playing with a kid who was deaf. he was the best on the block so i assume yeah bet.
Boki4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:09 AM   #6
Collie
Good college starter

Collie is popular on this boardCollie is popular on this boardCollie is popular on this boardCollie is popular on this board

If he could read lips, he probably could.
Collie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:23 AM   #7
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbryan1984
Lance Allred.
Yessir, though he was not completely deaf (and could use hearing aids, though I'm not sure if he used them in games).

Regardless, I definitely think it would be more than possible for a deaf person to play in the league.

Edit: Decided to Wiki Lance Allred to learn more. How about these alleged remarks from his former college coach (Rick Majerus): "Lance, you've weaseled yourself through life using your hearing as an excuse. You're a disgrace to cripples.If I was a cripple in a wheelchair and saw [the way] you play basketball, I'd shoot myself."

Last edited by Rake2204 : 06-29-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:00 AM   #8
R.I.P.
NBA lottery pick

R.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

What about a blind player?
R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:01 AM   #9
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.P.
Only with a seeing-eye dog.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:22 PM   #10
therammingman
National High School Star

therammingman has a very bad reputationtherammingman has a very bad reputationtherammingman has a very bad reputationtherammingman has a very bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boki4MVP
yes. grew up playing with a kid who was deaf. he was the best on the block so i assume yeah bet.

Yea, I'm sure he could be skilled....but I'm wondering if he couldn't play in the nba because he couldnt hear plays called, or teammates talking to him - like calling out screens, or hearing refs whistles, etc.
therammingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:25 PM   #11
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.P.

If he was secretly Daredevil.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:43 PM   #12
Crown&Coke
Stay Strong Droth

Crown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation here

he would get killed on blind picks when teammates yell out "SCREEN!!" he wont be able to hear it. But Im sure they get around the other issues
Crown&Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:23 AM   #13
airchibundo507
"LINISH HIM!"

airchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

if LeBron James was deaf, would he still make the NBA?

Yes.

/end thread
airchibundo507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:05 PM   #14
nestea()

Fck Noooooo.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:08 PM   #15
MeLO MvP 15
Knicks 2015 Champs

MeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation here

Yeah. If he's deaf that means that he's most likely got better vision. As long as he can read lips and his team uses more signals with him, I don't see why not...

May be an advantage because he doesn't have to hear Skip Bayless and Stephen A Smith talk. lol
MeLO MvP 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: