Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-03-2011, 02:27 AM   #16
Lakers Legend#32
National High School Star

Default Re: Darkest Day in Seattle Sports History

As Bennett's emails revealed at the time, he had no interest in keeping the Sonics in Seattle and bought them to move them to OKC. So don't give me this crap about the fans not supporting the Sonics. There is nothing the state of Washington could have done to get Bubba Bennett to stay in Seattle. Of course, Howard Schultz is the biggest bastard for selling them to the OKC hillbillys.
Lakers Legend#32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:00 AM   #17
eldanielfire
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRoseOwnsACamry
Fucking get over it. Find a new team to root for, and stop being butthurt bitches. Maybe if you're lucky, the league will expand and the Sonics could be back.

This is what's wrong with many "internet" sports fans I encounter. No apparent passion for the sport or respect for what makes the fans care about their teams. If you are passionate, if you care then such moves do hurt a fan. I'm not saying it's the wrong move by the Sonics and I don't personally care, but I can understand that the fans of the Sonics were hurt by the move and have a right to feel betrayed as any fan would be.
eldanielfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:06 AM   #18
Bless Mathews
454 Dumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammertime
It's easy not to value money when it isn't yours. It's also easy to make attachments to someone else's property and then cry foul when they decide to exercise their legal right to that property.

Other teams have moved in the past 10 years and we haven't seen this kind of bile and vitriol. And every time I point this out, Seattle fans claim that somehow, the Sonics are different. Why?

wow,

you are seriously tarded...

you missed the big huge philosophical and physical yacht they just went by you bro..

wow
Bless Mathews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:14 AM   #19
Bless Mathews
454 Dumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammertime
Professional teams in America move. We all know that. Sonics fans knew that. It's not like the Sonics were given to Seattle under the agreement that they would never, ever leave.

I just don't understand all this hate. I mean, what exactly is the fault of Oklahoma City and the fans in the city? What were they supposed to do? Boycott their NBA team because some people in Seattle are butt-hurt? Hate Clay Bennett because he brought pro ball to his hometown?

**** you

pay for my time to drive 3 hours (if your lucky) down I-5 to portland to soak some live nba action...

and its the ****ing blazers, i mean yea b roy from tha sickness is reppin , my main man paul allen (what up bro? we gotta jam again) is runnin shit in the rose garden, but come one, rootin for kevin duckworth? comeon...get tha f..ck outta here! You can drive your kids and make sure mark ****in eaton gets his 2 blocks a game , talk about all the fabulous mormon sponsors at the concession stand in the "energy solutions arena"(f-ing mormons) whilst listening to the latest on k-herb 101.4 , home of the herbivores, too sissy to eat meat, I'm at home rollin by the key in my white and green '89 flights like kemp flyin through the rafters dunkin on warriors WISHING AND DREAMING I CAN TAKE MY KIDS TO AN NBA GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU F-ING DEGENERATE UTAH DIRTY "YEAST" RIDDEN FLAKY LIKE A PASTRY CRUSTY A.S.S. WHOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bless Mathews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:30 AM   #20
NauruDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50inchvertical
Their attendance was only 14,000 that final season. That's terrible. They also didn't want to pony up for a new arena, after they had already agreed to do so for their 2 other pro sports teams. Clay Bennett would have been a fool to keep them there under the circumstances. Ignoring that fact and the fact that the people who talk the most *#&$ about the city know nothing about it, the whole "small market, there's nothing to do there," city thing works in the favor of teams then doesn't it? Since according to you guys, there's nothing else to do here.

14,000 over the final season WOW that is bad. Isn't that like 341 per match. THAT IS HORRENDOUS. Now I understand why they have a move.
NauruDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:40 AM   #21
eldanielfire
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by NauruDude
14,000 over the final season WOW that is bad. Isn't that like 341 per match. THAT IS HORRENDOUS. Now I understand why they have a move.

We are assuming the owner wasn't doing a 'Major League' here to get them moved. From what I have heard he was determined to move them regardless of what circumstances were there.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:41 AM   #22
NauruDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldanielfire
We are assuming the owner wasn't doing a 'Major League' here to get them moved. From what I have heard he was determined to move them regardless of what circumstances were there.

I guess there wasnt more fans BECAUSE the citizens of Seatlle knew the team was going to move so they didnt bother paying a scumbag to see something
NauruDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:02 AM   #23
blazerjimmy
High School Starter

I miss the Sonics......I remember cutting a day of driving across country short, just so I could be unpacked and comfortable with a six pack in my hotel room to watch the 96 Finals. Obviously, I'm a Blazers fan, but the Sonics were a team I rooted for UNLESS they were playing the Blazers. The way the whole move was handled, just gives a guy a "dirty" feeling. Can't stand to look at or listen to Stern or Bennett. Seriously hoping that the Sonics will return to Seattle and no, I can't stand the OKC Blunder and I always root against them even though I like their coach and quite a few of their players.....and no, I don't know much about Oklahoma City, the people who live there or what there is to do there, I just don't like the way the whole thing went down and any fan with true passion for their team should cringe at the thought that this could happen to their team.....
blazerjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:21 AM   #24
Koop1
Great young streetballer

I'm almost 100% sure the Hornets will be in seattle sometime in the near future
Koop1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:06 AM   #25
Nash
NBA lottery pick

lol @ people telling seattle fans to move on. You guys have no loyalty and passion. If my local soccer team were removed to another city it'd start a ****in' war.
Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:17 AM   #26
JMT
NBA lottery pick

How dare a private businessman move his business to a place that shows greater support and offers him the chance to make money.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #27
Kevin_Gamble
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
How dare a private businessman move his business to a place that shows greater support and offers him the chance to make money.

Implying NBA franchises are bought and sold in a way that even remotely resembles regular, private business.
Kevin_Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:28 AM   #28
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Gamble
Implying NBA franchises are bought and sold in a way that even remotely resembles regular, private business.

No implication intended or necessary.

How their sales are processed or perceived doesn't change the fact that he was a private businessman (who moved) his business to a place that shows greater support and offers him the chance to make money.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:40 AM   #29
50inchvertical
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldanielfire
Their attendance sucked balls even before the final season in Seattle. They had an old, small, arena without enough luxury high dollar seats. Clay bought the team with intention to move them to OKC, but he and the NBA still left the city an ultimatum; renovate the arena, they'll stay. Seattle said no. OKC said yes. OKC bought greater fan support.

The 41 yr history of Seattle Sonics or whatever, completely irrelevant to their new owner who's only obligation is going to be to himself and his ability to make money. "Loyalty," seems to always be used in the sports context, as making a decision against your own best interest to satisfy other people.

Quote:
lol @ people telling seattle fans to move on. You guys have no loyalty and passion. If my local soccer team were removed to another city it'd start a ****in' war.
You wouldn't do shit, but probably just turn bitter and troll fans of the new team on the internet. And it's not a mater of having no passion. We are just smart enough and have the perspective to realize that as the owner he doesn't owe us shit and has every right to move his property he just paid 9 figures for.
50inchvertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:10 PM   #30
eldanielfire
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50inchvertical
Their attendance sucked balls even before the final season in Seattle. They had an old, small, arena without enough luxury high dollar seats. Clay bought the team with intention to move them to OKC, but he and the NBA still left the city an ultimatum; renovate the arena, they'll stay. Seattle said no. OKC said yes. OKC bought greater fan support.

The 41 yr history of Seattle Sonics or whatever, completely irrelevant to their new owner who's only obligation is going to be to himself and his ability to make money. "Loyalty," seems to always be used in the sports context, as making a decision against your own best interest to satisfy other people.

And that is the precisely the reason Seattle fans have every right to hate on him. Making decisions that benifit yourself and screws over others is a nasty thing regradless of the advantages.

I say that as somebody who likes what's happening with the Thunder.

Quote:

You wouldn't do shit, but probably just turn bitter and troll fans of the new team on the internet. And it's not a mater of having no passion. We are just smart enough and have the perspective to realize that as the owner he doesn't owe us shit and has every right to move his property he just paid 9 figures for.

Of course owners owe fans something, at least morally. Sport is only partly a business. It's also a competition, sets of communites based round the teams and a to many a lifestyle. If you screw that over for money you deserve no credit. Yes he can do it, but that doesn't make it right to do so.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: