Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-03-2011, 12:17 PM   #31
Samurai Swoosh
Root Of All Evil

Samurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Darkest Day in Seattle Sports History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammertime
Haters. Just move on already.
This ... it sounds mean, but it's true.

Get over yourselves.

I mean it's going on 4 or 5 years. Find another team to root for in the league.

Though I know it's hard to see what was basically your team on the cusp of winning a title and possibly forming a young dynasty (OKC) ... but it's not the players fault where they ended up.

You may get a team back, eventually.
Samurai Swoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:26 PM   #32
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldanielfire
Of course owners owe fans something, at least morally.

Bull. They owe them nothing. It's a business, an investment.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:39 PM   #33
VishaltotheG
College star

VishaltotheG has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsVishaltotheG has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsVishaltotheG has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsVishaltotheG has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsVishaltotheG has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsVishaltotheG has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers Legend#32
3 years ago today (July 2, 2008), our beloved SuperSonics were stolen from us by David Stern and a buch of OKC country-club yahoos.

Today both Stern and Clay Bennett are losing hundreds of millions of dollars in a lockout brought about by a broken economic model that cost Seattle its team.

Karma is a mighty bitch, Stern and Clay Clay.

In my opinion, if your team gets "stolen", you can root for whoever you want. So quit being mad and pick whatever team you want to root for, call them your team, and stick with them through thick and thin.
VishaltotheG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:40 PM   #34
eldanielfire
I airball my layups

eldanielfire has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
Bull. They owe them nothing. It's a business, an investment.

Except it's not a business in isolation, it's a sport first and a business second. The owener may now have to owe fans somehting, but that doesn't make his decisions morally right. At the end of the day the "business" will always be dependent on the goodwill from fans otherwise there is no business.
eldanielfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #35
Bless Mathews
454 Dumper

Bless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by NauruDude
14,000 over the final season WOW that is bad. Isn't that like 341 per match. THAT IS HORRENDOUS. Now I understand why they have a move.

serioulsy/

ur an idiot

14,000 per game average,

key didnt hold that much. and the seats were so small, my fat ass had to get 2 seats for myself
Bless Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:19 PM   #36
50inchvertical
College star

50inchvertical has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldanielfire
Except it's not a business in isolation, it's a sport first and a business second. The owener may now have to owe fans somehting, but that doesn't make his decisions morally right. At the end of the day the "business" will always be dependent on the goodwill from fans otherwise there is no business.
Well then he doesn't owe SEATTLE fans anything, since there are numerous other cities and fanbases to pool from.

Key Arena was small (part of the reason they lost their team), but still sat over 17k, so with only 14k in it, that's 18% empty. Why the **** would he stay there?

Let's add up all the factors like we're in Bennett's position:

Won't build me a new arena or update the current one, even though they did for every other team

Only selling ~80% capacity

I paid the money to, and have Stern's blessing, to take them home to OKC who will both sell out and take the tax hit to update the arena

Look at what Sacramento just did in terms of keeping their team. Didn't see any of that from Seattle and it's lawmakers and high profile politicians with some juice.

Conversely, look at Seattle and their legislature and how they continue to show they don't really care about NBA basketball in Seattle. Hell, they are going to miss out on 30,000,000 from Bennett because they haven't passed the resolution for the improvements to Key Arena.

And furthermore, years of bitching just comes off, as bitchmade. It;'s not going to bring the team back. I applaud your manipulation of others and their sorrows though, in getting them to pay to send you to games and shit so you can be on tv in your Sonics colors. That's clever on your part, kind of stupid on their's though
50inchvertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #37
thejumpa
Sonics bandwagoner

thejumpa is considered somewhat coolthejumpa is considered somewhat cool

Even though I'm over it, it's still ****ed up. **** David Stern, Clay Bennett, and all the people out there that are quick to throw out shit like "Oh, get over it...get over yourselves". Come on, now. There's a lot of people in Seattle that actually care about basketball and were extremely saddened by the loss of the team. I'm one of them. I grew up with the team and didn't really "root" for any other team(even though I did root for Sac to kill LA back in the day lol). They were great for the community and even though we didn't win a ton of games every year, people still showed up and expressed their support. It's very similar to what they have going on in the Bay with the Warriors. Stupid loyal fans. Ask Gary Payton, Shawn Kemp, Nate McMillan, Lenny Wilkens, Downtown Freddy Brown, Ray Allen, Kevin Durant, Rashard Lewis, etc...this was a basketball city. Period.

The point is, yes it's getting to that point where people need to start getting over it and moving on. I'm just sayin...don't be so quick to judge someone who whines about it or mentions it. 2007 was not that long ago and it's let's face it.....most sports fans out there have no idea how it feels to have a team ripped from them. Worst part about it is one of our own essentially helped in doing so. He has the city by the balls so it's not like we can really boycott the guy, either.
thejumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:41 PM   #38
eldanielfire
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50inchvertical
Well then he doesn't owe SEATTLE fans anything, since there are numerous other cities and fanbases to pool from.

Key Arena was small (part of the reason they lost their team), but still sat over 17k, so with only 14k in it, that's 18% empty. Why the **** would he stay there?

Let's add up all the factors like we're in Bennett's position:

Won't build me a new arena or update the current one, even though they did for every other team

Only selling ~80% capacity

I paid the money to, and have Stern's blessing, to take them home to OKC who will both sell out and take the tax hit to update the arena

Look at what Sacramento just did in terms of keeping their team. Didn't see any of that from Seattle and it's lawmakers and high profile politicians with some juice.

Conversely, look at Seattle and their legislature and how they continue to show they don't really care about NBA basketball in Seattle. Hell, they are going to miss out on 30,000,000 from Bennett because they haven't passed the resolution for the improvements to Key Arena.

And furthermore, years of bitching just comes off, as bitchmade. It;'s not going to bring the team back. I applaud your manipulation of others and their sorrows though, in getting them to pay to send you to games and shit so you can be on tv in your Sonics colors. That's clever on your part, kind of stupid on their's though

Or the least they could do. You are acting like the whole population of a city acts as one whole. Many thousands of loyal fans were screwed out of their home team. Some of them the side they supported their entire lives. That hurts and it saddens me people are completely unempathetic to the fans just because the owner has the right to move his franchaise.

You are talking like a typical armchair internet sports fan. What makes Sport so good is the history, memories, shared experiences. That is what makes the NBA the biggest league in the world and anything else just something else. It isn't simply a case of "I own it so I'll do the **** I like", as I said there is a matter of respect, moral duty and love for the game. If there isn't much of those there is no business.

And it you wnat to treat it is just a business decision then you have to accept the consequences that Sonics fans will be hurt, dumped upon and bitching about it for life and they have that right to do so.

I think it's bloody fantastic that people love and care for their teams so much that it hurts when situations like this arise.

Last edited by eldanielfire : 07-03-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:43 PM   #39
BØBØ
Local High School Star

BØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRoseOwnsACamry
Fucking get over it. Find a new team to root for, and stop being butthurt bitches. Maybe if you're lucky, the league will expand and the Sonics could be back.
This
BØBØ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:43 PM   #40
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.

NuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Don't get why people say move on and all that other bullshit. Your favorite teams gets ripped away and imo you can bitch\complain\be upset for as long as you want. Only thing I would disagree with is saying anything about OKC. There not the one's who stole the Sonics. Any place is going to happily accept a basketball franchise. Not there faults at all.

Besides that bitch away Sonic fans!
NuggetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:44 PM   #41
eldanielfire
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
Don't get why people say move on and all that other bullshit. Your favorite teams gets ripped away and imo you can bitch\complain\be upset for as long as you want. Only thing I would disagree with is saying anything about OKC. There not the one's who stole the Sonics. Any place is going to happily accept a basketball franchise. Not there faults at all.

Besides that bitch away Sonic fans!

Agreed.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:45 PM   #42
Ghostfacethrill
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Ghostfacethrill has an OK reputation so far

I cant wait to wear my gary payton established in 1967 OKC thunder jersey....seriously though, the thunder franchise is a fvckin joke.
Ghostfacethrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:02 AM   #43
Lakers Legend#32
Decent college freshman

Lakers Legend#32 has decent reputation

It's embarrasing for the NBA to have a team in such a small market at OKC. The stealing of our Sonics will haunt the NBA for years.
Stern must be looking for new owners to put a team in Peroria, Arizona.
Lakers Legend#32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:50 AM   #44
monkeypox
National High School Star

monkeypox is popular on this boardmonkeypox is popular on this boardmonkeypox is popular on this boardmonkeypox is popular on this board

This whole fiasco was a lesson to fanbases everywhere that no city just deserves a team. Here in LA we did the same thing with NFL and have been waiting forever for a team to replace the two that left. Keep your team happy or it can just up and leave, and no matter how big your city or how deep your history, it can happen.
monkeypox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:51 AM   #45
Hammertime
Our Enes is bigger

Hammertime is popular on this boardHammertime is popular on this boardHammertime is popular on this boardHammertime is popular on this boardHammertime is popular on this board

No one here(presumably) has issues with Sonics fans being gutted about this, but rather the way they are going about it. The irrational hate for people who had little to do with this comes off petty. David Stern is not the owners' boss, but rather the other way around. This fact apparently needs to be pointed out on a daily basis, and it still seems to not get through to many people. Clay Bennett bought the team, which was approved by the NBA Board of Governors, who are owners' hand-picked representatives. Then he applied to move the team, which was again approved by the same board. What was David Stern supposed to do here exactly? Where does he come in? I mean, if you're going to go through all this trouble of protesting the decision to move the team, you could at least educate yourself on the procedures.

It just seems like the Sonics fans are putting more energy into railing against the NBA, David Stern, and Clay Bennett, than they are in working on getting a new team. That just seems unhealthy, especially considering that in the end, you'll have to go through those same people in order to get a new team.

The whole thing seems a lot like the behaviour of an immature guy who got dumped. He hates his ex, he hates her new boyfriend, he hates her friends because he thinks they were at fault. It's been several years, but he still talks about it every chance he gets, and he spends more time thinking and talking about this failed relationship than trying to start a new one. It just ain't healthy.
Hammertime is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: