Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-05-2011, 12:27 PM   #61
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Darkest Day in Seattle Sports History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killbot
KeyArena holds way less than OKC's arena. Factor in that OKC is receiving a new first pro sports team ever with a superstar in Durant, and you get yourself more fans.

If it was the other way around, where OKC loses a franchise and goes to Seattle with a new building and an upcoming superstar, the same result will happen.

Ford Center holds 1200 more people that Key Arena. That would be a significant difference, except that the last time Seattle fans sold out their arena for the season was 1998-99. So their claim that they supported the team until it was obvious that it was going to move rings hollow to me.

OKC delivered more fans for a rent-a-team...a team they had no history with or vested interest in...even when it was obvious the team was going to move.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:49 PM   #62
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers Legend#32
OKC is still in the novelty phase with our Sonics. Except for that first year, the Thunder has been a playoff caliber team. It's easy to support a team when things are going good. OKC has no history of supporting a team through good times and bad like Sonics fans did for 41 years.

Wait till Durant and Westbrook bail for bigger markets and more cash. Then we will see if the hillbillys still come out and support the team when they turn into the Clippers.

Yes, a certain amount of attrition usually comes when the newness wears off. Much like Seattle fans sold out Key Arena for the first four years after it was revamped (1995-6 through 1998-99), then more or less steadily declined until only 13,355 that showed up in their final year there.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:27 PM   #63
Eat Like A Bosh
Banned

Eat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputation

So for getting back at OKC, you penalize the whole league?
Eat Like A Bosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:48 PM   #64
Lakers Legend#32
Decent college freshman

Lakers Legend#32 has decent reputation

Clay Clay's half-hearted, half-assed, "attempt" to get an arena built in Seattle was nothing more than going through the motions so he could move the team to OKC. He asked for the most expensive arena in the country knowing damn well he would not get it. He did not even say how much he would contribute to the cost, but he wanted 100% of the revenue from a publically financed arena. What responsible state government would agree to this? Even if the state was irresponsible enough to give into all Bennett's demands, he would have sold the team because he would have increased the value with a new arena. Why? Because Bennett had NO interest in owning a team in Seattle. His non-existent attempt to get a new arena in Seattle was just hoops he had to jump through to justify his moving the team despite his pubilc comments about being committed to keeping the team in Seattle.

Bubbah Bennett in a god damned liar.
Lakers Legend#32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:37 PM   #65
OKCThunderUP
Thank you Based Presti

OKCThunderUP is considered somewhat coolOKCThunderUP is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers Legend#32
If I hear one more time OKC is a great fan base I'm gonna puke.

OKC is still in the novelty phase with our Sonics. Except for that first year, the Thunder has been a playoff caliber team. It's easy to support a team when things are going good. OKC has no history of supporting a team through good times and bad like Sonics fans did for 41 years.

Wait till Durant and Westbrook bail for bigger markets and more cash. Then we will see if the hillbillys still come out and support the team when they turn into the Clippers.

OKC was packing that arena before OKC even got its own team. Remember the 2 years the Hornets played their home games there? Yeah. OKC fans filled that arena up, not New Orleans fans.
OKCThunderUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:11 AM   #66
Lakers Legend#32
Decent college freshman

Kevin Durant is a vocal advocate for the players union. His pro-union stances will not go over well in a right-to-work state like OK. Just wait, the hillbillys will turn on him soon.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:57 AM   #67
one2

I believe it when Kevin Durant will leave OKC after his 4 year extension was signed. He will be about 26 when it will expire. If his team hasn't won it or at least make it to the finals once, I believe he may bolt.

Who knows how long the KD/Westbrook duo will last? I could see him Russell asking for a trade. This isn't unlike Minnesota with KG and Starbury.

And after this drama, i would like to see OKC's reaction to this? Will they become bitter and cynical? Will the team go on and continue with equal or better success?
Old 07-06-2011, 08:37 AM   #68
dude77
NBA lottery pick

dude77 has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammertime
Professional teams in America move. We all know that. Sonics fans knew that. It's not like the Sonics were given to Seattle under the agreement that they would never, ever leave

yes but some teams just don't move(it's like an unwritten rule) or have never moved so it's a shock for a lot of fans .. granted seattle doesn't have quite the history of those teams but still .. say like the steelers cowboys packers .. can you imagine those teams moving ? .. I guess it's happened more often in basketball but can you imagine the celtics moving ?
dude77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:12 PM   #69
sacredcow
Good High School Starter

sacredcow has decent reputationsacredcow has decent reputation

I posted this a long time ago but it's needed again since OKC fans seem to not care at all about the facts leading up. The Seattle fans should have shown up more but

-You had city officials who said the team brought no economic impact
-Budget issues galore (The Seahawks and Mariners stadiums were built when the economy was great, and there was far more private funds involved)
-Schultz offer on a new arena to go with public funds was $18 million, absolutely a joke.
-Schultz sells the team to a new owner from Oklahoma, Clayton Bennett; fire sale on the good players ensues.
-Durant was virtually unavailable to the media, how were fans supposed to connect to a team when they don't get to know about the number 2 pick?
-Public knew the team would leave and the team that was assembled that final season reflected that, just an awful squad.
-Emails surface from a minority owner in the group saying they didn't buy the team to keep them in Seattle.
-New owners arena proposal was a half billion dollar complex in one of the worst areas for an arena in that area with a minor input from him. It was a half-ass attempt.
-Government won't help with the new arena so the team announces they're going to relocate, would you go to a game when you know there's nothing you can do to stop this? putting money into the pockets of someone who is moving your team?
-Lastly, the city caved before the decision in the lawsuit, which if it went there way would have forced them to stay until last season.

It really was just a lot of circumstances that presented themselves that really made it uglier than it should have been. Stop blaming Seattle fans for being hurt, if the Blazers left I would be devastated since one of my earlier memories is the 1990 NBA finals with my dad before he died.
sacredcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:34 PM   #70
OKCThunderUP
Thank you Based Presti

OKCThunderUP is considered somewhat coolOKCThunderUP is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2
I believe it when Kevin Durant will leave OKC after his 4 year extension was signed. He will be about 26 when it will expire. If his team hasn't won it or at least make it to the finals once, I believe he may bolt.

Who knows how long the KD/Westbrook duo will last? I could see him Russell asking for a trade. This isn't unlike Minnesota with KG and Starbury.

And after this drama, i would like to see OKC's reaction to this? Will they become bitter and cynical? Will the team go on and continue with equal or better success?

Did your mother drop you on your head as a baby?

Last edited by OKCThunderUP : 07-06-2011 at 10:45 PM.
OKCThunderUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:59 PM   #71
JellyBean
College superstar

JellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation here

As a Sonics fan (since 1977), it was tough to see the Sonics leave Seattle and become OKC. However, I have moved on. I have not forgotten the team because you can't do that. But I have moved on.
JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:18 PM   #72
dunksby
ISH's Scribbler

dunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
Ford Center holds 1200 more people that Key Arena. That would be a significant difference, except that the last time Seattle fans sold out their arena for the season was 1998-99. So their claim that they supported the team until it was obvious that it was going to move rings hollow to me.

OKC delivered more fans for a rent-a-team...a team they had no history with or vested interest in...even when it was obvious the team was going to move.
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:12 AM   #73
Lakers Legend#32
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude77
yes but some teams just don't move(it's like an unwritten rule) or have never moved so it's a shock for a lot of fans .. granted seattle doesn't have quite the history of those teams but still .. say like the steelers cowboys packers .. can you imagine those teams moving ? .. I guess it's happened more often in basketball but can you imagine the celtics moving ?

The Sonics were in Seattle only 10 less years than the Dodger were in Brooklyn. We know how they felt, so now we are not gonna just get over it. FU Stern, Schultz, Bennett!
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: