Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-04-2011, 01:53 PM   #1
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

lilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputation
Default Wow, I can't believe Portland gave Greg Oden a qualifying offer!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6717753
Quote:
PORTLAND, Ore. -- The Trail Blazers have offered former No. 1 draft pick Greg Oden an $8.8 million qualifying offer to stay in Portland.

Oden Injury Timeline

Nov. 17, 2010: Microfracture surgery needed on left knee
Dec. 6, 2009: Surgery to repair left knee
Dec. 5, 2009: Fractures left patella vs. Rockets
Feb. 12, 2009: Bone chip in left knee vs. Warriors
Oct. 28, 2008: Right foot sprain in first NBA game vs. Lakers
Sept. 13, 2007: Microfracture surgery on his right knee
July 14, 2007: Has tonsillectomy
June 16, 2006: Surgery to repair torn ligament in right wrist

The offer means the often-injured 7-foot center becomes a restricted free agent. The Blazers can match any other offer made for him.

Oden, 23, didn't play this past season after microfracture surgery on his left knee. He missed his rookie season in 2007-08 after microfracture surgery on his right knee. Two seasons ago he broke his left kneecap.

Because of his injuries, the former Ohio State star has played in only 82 games over parts of two seasons, averaging 9.4 points and 7.3 rebounds.

"We've stood behind Greg Oden every day since he became a Trail Blazer and that continues with today's announcement," Trail Blazers president Larry Miller said in a statement. "Despite the setbacks he's experienced, he continues to be resilient in working tirelessly on his rehabilitation. We're all very encouraged with not only his progress but with his commitment and determination to return to the basketball court."

The Blazers had until Thursday night to make the qualifying offer. Before he was dismissed by the team last month, former Blazers general manager Rich Cho had long hinted that the Blazers would move to keep Oden. Cho was replaced in the interim by Chad Buchanan, the Blazers' director of college scouting.

If no other teams make offers for Oden and he stays with the Blazers, he will become an unrestricted free agent for the 2012-13 season.

In the 2009-10 season, Oden was averaging 11.7 points, 8.8 rebounds and 2.4 blocks as a starter and he was playing with an authority that had previously eluded him. But he broke his right kneecap in December of that season.

It appeared he would return last season, but in November it was announced that he would require microfracture surgery on the right knee.

After the Blazers selected Oden with the top pick in the 2007 draft, choosing him over Kevin Durant, he was hailed as the future of the franchise as it emerged from the so-called Jail Blazers era.

But Oden's rookie season was postponed before it started when he had microfracture surgery on his left knee.

His numerous injuries have subjected him to endless comparisons to Sam Bowie, the frequently injured big man whom the Blazers infamously selected ahead of Michael Jordan in the 1984 draft.
Nobody in their right mind is gonna offer him more than that. Are they going for a charity tax write off?
lilbeastnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Wow, I can't believe Portland is keeping Greg Oden!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeastnani
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6717753

Nobody in their right mind is gonna offer him more than that. Are they going for a charity tax write off?
they have no choice. The value of his QO is set by the CBA/league. If they want to make him an RFA and be able to sign him, they had to. It doesnt actually mean he will get a long term deal (from them or someone else) worth that much, though I honestly wouldnt be surprised.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
Rekindled
Pringles Reborn

Rekindled posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryRekindled posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryRekindled posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

OP do you know how Qualifying offer and restrictive free agency works?
Rekindled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:01 PM   #4
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

lilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
they have no choice. The value of his QO is set by the CBA/league. If they want to make him an RFA and be able to sign him, they had to. It doesnt actually mean he will get a long term deal (from them or someone else) worth that much, though I honestly wouldnt be surprised.
Well, even though it's only a one year (assuming nobody is dumb enough to offer him something better), I thought they were through with him. Remember how that story came out mid season that they weren't extending him and how the front office was tired of putting their hopes in him only to have him keep getting injured? And even the story about how Roy spoke to him and said that he's been a great teammate and that he'll still be his friend and support him no matter where he plays next year.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekindled
OP do you know how Qualifying offer and restrictive free agency works?
Yes, and a qualifying offer of 8.8M is a LOT for a guy who has played as little as he has, and may or may not be in the NBA 2 years from now. That's why I figured they'd just let him walk.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:04 PM   #6
jbryan1984
Good college starter

jbryan1984 is considered somewhat cooljbryan1984 is considered somewhat cool

They just desperatly need a big and they did not to risk him going somewhere else and breaking out. They've went younger at the point now, added Crash, he is the final piece to the puzzle. Seriously, Roy is not the explosive player he was but as he showed in that Dallas game, he can still light a fire. I think Aldridge will continue to improve. Felton was great last year. They got a good team, just can never get to the 2nd round. They need Oden to show up and stay healthy whenever this season begins.
jbryan1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:07 PM   #7
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbryan1984
They just desperatly need a big and they did not to risk him going somewhere else and breaking out. They've went younger at the point now, added Crash, he is the final piece to the puzzle. Seriously, Roy is not the explosive player he was but as he showed in that Dallas game, he can still light a fire. I think Aldridge will continue to improve. Felton was great last year. They got a good team, just can never get to the 2nd round. They need Oden to show up and stay healthy whenever this season begins.
not to be overly cynical but there's a greater chance of him breaking his leg again than there is of him breaking out.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:07 PM   #8
tomtucker
NBA sixth man of the year

tomtucker is a pretty well-respected postertomtucker is a pretty well-respected postertomtucker is a pretty well-respected postertomtucker is a pretty well-respected poster

portland is a great city, they treat their senior citizens with respect.........I bet old Gregory Peck threatened them with taking more pictures of himself in front of the mirror with his dick out .............. .......
tomtucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:12 PM   #9
Rekindled
Pringles Reborn

Rekindled posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryRekindled posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryRekindled posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

it's not overpaying when guys like bargnani, dalembert, eddy curry are all making over 10 m a year.
Rekindled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:20 PM   #10
Kevin_Gamble
Good High School Starter

Kevin_Gamble has decent reputationKevin_Gamble has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeastnani
Yes, and a qualifying offer of 8.8M is a LOT for a guy who has played as little as he has, and may or may not be in the NBA 2 years from now. That's why I figured they'd just let him walk.

Well it's only for one year. Plus it's not like they had some other 7 foot center to spend their money on.
Kevin_Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:20 PM   #11
hawkfan
Jeff Teague Fan

hawkfan is starting to rub some people the wrong way

The real problems would be this:

1. If some team offers a 2 years contract at say 9 million per season, then does Portland match? Probably, but if he is hurt then that ties up that money for 2 years.

2. If a team offers a 3 years contract at 9 million, then does Portland match? Maybe. It would be tough to say no, because if he is healthy, then it is worth it. But if not, then that is 3 years of a cap clogging contract.

And some team might do one of the 2, since centers are hard to come by.
hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:22 PM   #12
MeLO MvP 15
Knicks 2015 Champs

MeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation here

I don't think it would be smart to just let him walk... Theyre already over the tax and used the #1 pick on him, take the risk and pay him
MeLO MvP 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #13
R.I.P.
NBA lottery pick

R.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The only thing worse than picking an injured big man over Durant, is letting the big man walk and watch him produce somewhere else, even if it is "just" 10/10 with solid defense.
R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:33 PM   #14
miles berg
MFFL

miles berg is considered somewhat coolmiles berg is considered somewhat cool

Do you really want to be the team that let Greg Oden walk, watch him sign with another team, and become an All Star center?

For Portland, they have to give it one more year. They owe themselves atleast that. He has way too much talent to give up on him just yet.
miles berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:35 PM   #15
DMAVS41
NBA Legend

DMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Its a terrible situation for the Blazers. Imagine if they let Oden walk and a contending team like the Heat get him and he's really good and they win the title. It would be horrible for the Blazers and their fans.

Its much better to just pay him and keep him then watch him walk and then watch him somehow stay healthy for a year and have a lot of success.
DMAVS41 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: