Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-05-2011, 02:00 PM   #1
Soothing Layup
High School Varsity 12th Man

Soothing Layup has an OK reputation so far
Default Steve francis vs Russel westbrook

Who do you take? They're basically the same person on the court. If I had to choose, I'd probably take Steve Francis because he was the much better passer and finisher.

Russell* smh..
Soothing Layup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:06 PM   #2
ThaSwagg3r

Default Re: Steve francis vs Russel westbrook

I'd take Prime Francis now, but I'm sure Westbrook will eventually be better than prime Francis ever was. I have faith in Westbrook and his unlimited potential. Great comparison by the way. I never thought I could have found who Westbrook played like.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:10 PM   #3
liquidrage
Banned

liquidrage has decent reputationliquidrage has decent reputation

Westbrook just had a better year at 22 then Stevie Franchise ever had statistically.

I don't like the comparison though. Russell had a bad playoff. Crap happens. Stevie and Rose are more similar to me. Very "smooth" games. Rose just takes about 5 more attempts per game then Stevie did.
liquidrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:12 PM   #4
get these NETS
you can't stop me

get these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected poster

good thread

the super athletic point guards in the league today are steve francis and baron davis all over again.

espn babies might think that it's unprecedented for pgs to that quick and explosive...but..think he played point..it goes back to david thompson.....aka your favorite player's FAVORITE PLAYER

francis and westbrook play point because they are the heights thy are but neither thinks or plays like a point. limited steve's team success and may limit westbrook's.
get these NETS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
28renyoy
Banned

28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Westbrook is better. Francis was better year 1 and year 2, not year 3+ though. Although it would have been interesting to see early Francis with Durant.
28renyoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:15 PM   #6
Xsatyr
Samurai Chef

Xsatyr is considered somewhat coolXsatyr is considered somewhat cool

As a diehard Rockets fan, Westbrook hands down. At least Westbrook tries to play like a pg, he has ways to go. Francis was set at never changing his style of play which would not benefit Yao's growth. So the Rockets traded him and his bf to the Magic.
Xsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:18 PM   #7
HylianNightmare
Moe Harkless Bandwagon

HylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

i like francis more overall but westbrook as a point
HylianNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:28 PM   #8
bizil
National High School Star

bizil has a near all-star reputation herebizil has a near all-star reputation herebizil has a near all-star reputation herebizil has a near all-star reputation herebizil has a near all-star reputation herebizil has a near all-star reputation here

Awesome comparison!! Francis and Baron Davis were really the forerunner to Westbrook and Rose for that athletic strong type PG. But Baron in my book actually thought like a PG. And Baron could also carry the scoring load when needed as well. I feel Francis and Westbrook play PG very good. But they are more slanted to a scoring or combo guard role. Between the two is close but I might lean slightly to Franchise at his best. But we haven't seen the best of Westbrook and barring injury he was eclipse Franchise.

And yes David Thompson size wise was around 6'3 to 6'4 like these guys. He was a freakish athlete ahead of his time. I always felt DT was more of SG type player who was underrated all around. And for the different ways he could score. DT was more than just a dunker and slasher. He also had a very nice midrange game as well. I think D-Wade is very similar to DT. And Francis, Rose, and Wesbrook all have that freakish athletic ability like DT at that 6'3 to 6'4 height. But I think Wade reminds me more of DT than anybody. And ironically Wade played PG when he first came in the L. EJ was the SG, Butler the SF, and Odom the PF.
bizil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:02 PM   #9
Papaya Petee
GORTATTTTT

Papaya Petee is a pretty well-respected posterPapaya Petee is a pretty well-respected posterPapaya Petee is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidrage
Westbrook just had a better year at 22 then Stevie Franchise ever had statistically.

I don't like the comparison though. Russell had a bad playoff. Crap happens. Stevie and Rose are more similar to me. Very "smooth" games. Rose just takes about 5 more attempts per game then Stevie did.

Westbrook first round- 24\6\6
Westbrook second round- 24\8\5
Westbrook third round- 24\5\5

Yes, he didn't shoot the ball well, and turned it over at times. But that is because he was being very aggressive with the ball, and wasn't afraid of the big moment. A lot of times also they were trying to force to give the ball to Durant and he would be denied and Westbrook would throw it away. A few times he mishandled the ball, etc. etc. shit happens.

I think he had a solid\good playoff run.
Papaya Petee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:30 PM   #10
imdaman99
Knicks all da way

imdaman99 is considered somewhat coolimdaman99 is considered somewhat coolimdaman99 is considered somewhat cool

francis would demoralize you with that crossover and he had unlimited potential but never lived up to it. hopefully westbrook keeps his head on straight and he will continue to get better. hes improved leaps and bounds since his first days in the league and its only been 3 years.
imdaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:37 PM   #11
Goliath Uterus
average size weiner

Goliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I love Steveie Franchise but you're a dumb mu****a if you think he's better than Westbrook.

Francis had all the potential but his idiotic mindset/attitude limited him to just becoming an above average player
Goliath Uterus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:02 AM   #12
MontaEllis24
I hit open layups

MontaEllis24 has not been impressing people

stevie franchise most beautiful crossover i have ever seen his move wasnt as fast as iverson nor was explosive as tim's but i t was so fun to watch.
in terms of comparison westbrook i feel is more athlethic than stevie but they do share similar gamestyles drose on the otherhand has a more refined play than those 2 steve and russ were out there to prove something drose was out there to win. IMO
MontaEllis24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:44 AM   #13
lefthook00
College star

lefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected poster

I don't think Westbrook could lead a team better than Francis did, at this point. He would probably do worse. Westbrook will be more successful though.

Francis was throwing down more alley oops than other other point guard in history for those few years.

Francis was quicker, better jumper, better passer, better handles, shooter.

Westbrook has him on defense, length(body), probably strength.

Last edited by lefthook00 : 07-06-2011 at 02:53 AM.
lefthook00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:03 AM   #14
ThaSwagg3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath Uterus
I love Steveie Franchise but you're a dumb mu****a if you think he's better than Westbrook.

Francis had all the potential but his idiotic mindset/attitude limited him to just becoming an above average player
You're right to some extent (about Francis' attitude and minset), but I don't think you know how good of a player 01-04 Francis was. Dude was averaging about 6-7 RPG, which is incredible for a PG. I feel like in some ways Jeff Van Gundy kind of ruined his career. He was doing just fine under Rudy T.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: