Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-05-2011, 11:23 PM   #31
RazorBaLade
Banned

Default Re: top10 athletic nba players all-time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbacardDOTnet
@ howard

No SHAQ, No The Admiral ?

I bet you have never watched any game of 1990's.

i admit i have never seen drob play.

dwight and shaq were just a tossup for me.

i feel like shaqs points of interest (good hands, footwork) aren't exactly athletic features, and so howard > shaq as far as speed and jumping. Shaq has him in power so its definitely close, but I think howard is more athletic.
RazorBaLade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:02 AM   #32
lefthook00
College star

What about Blake Griffin?
lefthook00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:20 AM   #33
donald_trump
im a superhero

no mentions of kemp or wade?
donald_trump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:23 AM   #34
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorBaLade
i admit i have never seen drob play.

dwight and shaq were just a tossup for me.

i feel like shaqs points of interest (good hands, footwork) aren't exactly athletic features, and so howard > shaq as far as speed and jumping. Shaq has him in power so its definitely close, but I think howard is more athletic.

While you make a valid point in regards to hands and footwork not being athletic features, you didn't take into consideration the balance, agility, and timing that comes along with those qualities.

In order for Shaq to have good footwork, he needs to have great balance which is hard for a person of his size. And he also needs the agility to go along with that great balance to be able to catch the ball in traffic/mid air.

Oh...

And Shaq was still more athletic even if we took away those qualities.

Stronger, quicker, faster, and while vertical jump is arguable Shaq was more athletic while in the air (non dunk contest).
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:33 AM   #35
NBAller
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook00
What about Blake Griffin?

I put him in my last with a confusd shrug bc I'm not really sure. He's 6'10 250 or something of the likes. good speed/greathops/strong. people consider shaq athletic because what he can do for his size. dont see how that wouldnt apply to howard/blake/etc also.
NBAller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:56 AM   #36
gengiskhan
Banned

Lightbulb Re: top10 athletic nba players all-time.

in no particular order

michael jordan
vince carter
Julius Erving
David Thompson
Shawn Kemp
David Robinson
Dominique Wilkins
Scottie Pippen
Wilt Chamberlin
Dennis Rodman

Honorary Mention:

Hawkins
Harold Miner
Iverson
Wade
Kobe
Spreewell
Dwight Howard
gengiskhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:01 AM   #37
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Um.

Maurice Stokes
Wilt
Gus Johnson
Jumpin' Johnny Green
David Thompson
Julius Erving
Jordan
Wilkins
Robinson
Carter
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:18 AM   #38
Chalkmaze
Good college starter

Top 10

- Michael Jordan (everything)
- Vince Carter (jumping)
- Wilt Chamberlain (everything)
- Nate Robinson (jumping)
- Spud Webb (jumping, quickness, speed)
- Kevin Johnson (quickness, speed, agility, jumping)
- Karl Malone (power, speed, endurance, quickness)
- Julius Irving (jumping, agility, body control)
- Shawn Kemp (jumping)
- Lebron James (jumping, strength)

Can be considered

- Allen Iverson (quickness, speed, jumping, body control)
- Clyde Drexler (jumping)
- Isiah Thomas (quickness, speed, jumping)
- Shaq (strength, jumping)
- David Robinson (jumping, strength (but didn't use it much), )
- Scottie Pippen (jumping, body control)
- Dwayne Wade (body control, jumping, strength)
- Chris Webber (strength)
- Larry Nance (jumping)
- Dominique Wilkins (jumping)
- James White (jumping)

It's really hard to judge because of size differences, speed, power, agility, quickness, jumping, explosiveness etc. These are some of the names that come to mind for me, but nothing is carved in stone..

Last edited by Chalkmaze : 07-06-2011 at 01:29 AM.
Chalkmaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:24 AM   #39
LAClipsFan33
Lob City Clips

http://youtu.be/uQPVKQIFxVk

Must be on the list...
LAClipsFan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:35 AM   #40
jlauber
3-time NBA All-Star

How about Russell...

Quote:
During his college career, Russell averaged 20.7 points per game and 20.3 rebounds per game.[1] Besides basketball, Russell represented USF in track and field events. He competed in the 440 yard (402 m) race, which he could complete in 49.6 seconds.[15] He also participated in the high jump; Track & Field News ranked him as the seventh-best high jumper in the world in 1956. That year, Russell won high jump titles at the Central California AAU meet, the Pacific AAU meet, and the West Coast Relays. One of his highest jumps occurred at the West Coast Relays, where he achieved a mark of 6 feet 9ľ inches (2.06 m).[16]

Or Hondo...

Quote:
Havlicek was drafted by both the Celtics and the NFL's Cleveland Browns in 1962. After competing briefly as a wide receiver in the Browns' training camp that year, he focused his energies on playing for the Celtics, with head coach Red Auerbach later describing him as the "guts of the team." He was also known for his stamina, with competitors saying that it was a challenge just to keep up with him.

DeBusschere...

Quote:
In 1962 DeBusschere was signed by the Chicago White Sox as an amateur free agent. He was pitcher for the Chicago White Sox from 1962-63. He pitched a shutout on August 13, 1963, against the Cleveland Indians, giving up six hits, one walk and striking out three. In 22 career at bats, he had only one hit, a single off Bennie Daniels on July 17, 1963. He pitched in the White Sox' minor league system for two more seasons before giving up pitching to focus on both playing and coaching basketball.[1]

He is one of only 12 athletes to have played in both Major League Baseball and the National Basketball Association, or its predecessor the Basketball Association of America,

Kizzle mentioned Stokes...who was 6-7 235 lbs. and played in the 50's...

Quote:
Playing for the National Basketball Association's Rochester Royals (which became the Cincinnati Royals in 1957) from 1955 to 1958, Stokes grabbed 38 rebounds in a single game during his rookie season, averaged 16.3 rebounds per game overall, and was named NBA Rookie of the Year. The next season, he set a league record for most rebounds in a single season with 1,256 (17.4 per game). Stokes played in the All-Star Game all three years of his career, and was named to the All-NBA Second Team three times. He was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame as a player in September 2004.

How about Jim Pollard, a 6-4 WHITE guy who played in the 40's and 50's...

Quote:
In the NBA, Pollard was considered one of the best forwards in the 1940s and 1950s, and was known for his leaping ability[1] (Pollard would occasionally dunk from the free throw line during warmups[2]) earning him the nickname "The Kangaroo Kid".

Kizzle mentioned Gus Johnson... 6-6 235 lbs. and who shattered THREE backboards in the 60's...but how about "the Nail?"

Quote:
While Gus Johnson played basketball at Idaho in 1962-63, he earned a reputation as a leaper of the highest order. On one evening at the "Corner Club", a tavern on north Main Street in Moscow, Johnson was challenged by Herm Goetz, the owner, to demonstrate his outstanding jumping ability to the assembled patrons. The "Corner Club" was a modest establishment, converted from a small white stucco chapel built in the 1940s, with hardwood floors and substantial beams on its ceiling. [4] From a standing start near the front bar, Johnson leapt to touch a spot on a beam 11' 6" (3.51 m) above the floor level. The spot on the beam was marked with a ceremonial nail by Goetz, who next proclaimed that anyone who could duplicate that leap could drink for free, something that he knew was highly improbable. A 40-inch (1 m) diameter circle was painted on the floor below that beam, and any potential duplicator of the leap had to have both feet on the floor, within this circle, to ensure a standing start. Twenty-three years elapsed, with a considerable number attempts to touch Gus Johnson's Nail, including some by the 6' 11" UCLA All-American Bill Walton during the summer of 1984. But not even Walton, then a pro at age 31, could touch that high up ("...too much pizza and beer tonight..").

That was until January 1986, when the team bus of College of Southern Idaho, a junior college in Twin Falls, stopped in Moscow, en route to a game against North Idaho College in Coeur d'Alene. Joey Johnson, the younger brother of the NBA star Dennis Johnson, was brought into the closed bar by his coaches for a try, before opening time. The 6' 3" (1.90 m) guard had already recorded a remarkable 48" (1.22 m) vertical leap during basketball practice.

Joey Johnson laced up his game shoes and touched "The Nail" on his first try, but this attempt was disqualified because he did not start with both feet inside the given circle. His next attempt came from a legal static start, but was slightly short. On his third try, Johnson leaped, grabbed, and bent the legendary nail, a landmark event in local sports history. Mr. Goetz next pulled "The Nail" out of its beam, and he pounded it back in, a half inch (1 cm) higher. [5]

jlauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:05 AM   #41
blablabla

wilt
mj
shaq
james
iverson
griffin
webb
erving
david robinson
carter
blablabla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:28 AM   #42
Ruh-Roh
Da Bulls.

Top of my head...

MJ
Bron
Shaq
D-Rob
Wilt
Rodman
Vince Carter
Dr J
Iverson
Maybe Barkley since it got him so far with a selective work ethic.
Ruh-Roh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:53 AM   #43
Laimbeer_Rodman
Decent playground baller

Michael Jordan
Larry Johnson
Vince Carter
David Robinson
Karl Malone
Orlando version of Shaq was unbelievable
Robert Pack
LeBron James
D Rose
Dwayne Wade
Laimbeer_Rodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:44 AM   #44
Toizumi
veteran savvy

Everybody is mentioning starplayers, but what about guys like Desmond Mason, Eddie Robinson, Gerald Green, or James White even? (eventhough White hardly played in NBA games). Their games relied on their athleticism mostly Ė and Iím not just talking jumping ability.

Mason was a solid player overall, but played mostly on his athleticism. Guy could jump out of the gym, was quick, strong, lengthy (6,7). Certainly deserves to be mentioned. The other guys I mentioned were pretty much on par with him when it comes to physical ability.. Mason actually had a decent (yet short) NBA career though.
Realistically, there are a bunch of players like that, that didnít have great NBA careers, that deserve to be on this list.
Toizumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:48 AM   #45
scott0326
National High School Star

Michael Jordan
Vince Carter
Jason Richardson
Yi Jianlian
Larry Nance
Lebron
Shaq
Dr. J
Nate Robinson
Spud Webb
scott0326 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: