Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-10-2011, 01:58 AM   #16
Theoo's Daddy
IN PAT RILEY WE TRUST

Theoo's Daddy posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryTheoo's Daddy posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Re: Newsflash: 4G does not exist, It's a marketing ploy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
I just don't see why you think it's some kind of trick, or "marketing ploy". It's significantly improved speeds over 3G. They state exactly what speeds you can expect. They had to call it something... and "4G" seems like a nice choice. I guess they could have called it like Super-3G or something... but either way it's amazing to have full-speed internet access anywhere I go, and well worth the $80 a month I pay for unlimited everything.

For people like you who are comfortable with just having internet on the phone with dsl speeds, it means nothing. There are guys out there literrally obsessed with faster speeds, this is a great deal to them.
Theoo's Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:09 AM   #17
Draz
Like a Baoss.

Draz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Don't listen to the cynics.

Going from 3G to "4G" is like going from 56k dialup to broadband. I can't even imagine what it will be like when they offer actual 4G speeds. I can already stream HD video while driving down the freeway at 80mph...

Do I really need 1000MB of speeds on a phone? Like some phones can't even last long watching movies let alone watching streamed movies at HD levels, there's a TV for that. 2G-4G is so over rated.
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:39 AM   #18
Rose
slightly upset stomach

Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I remember the cracked article as well. That's why I didn't upgrade my phone at the time. I was pissed.

But at a certain point like the guy above me said, there's really no point to amazing internet speed on a cell phone. Hell I don't even think there is for wifi at my home either. I'm NEVER going to be using 100mb/s. Sure it's nice and fast. But it doesn't bother me to wait 4 minutes either.
Rose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:59 AM   #19
Draz
Like a Baoss.

Draz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose
I remember the cracked article as well. That's why I didn't upgrade my phone at the time. I was pissed.

But at a certain point like the guy above me said, there's really no point to amazing internet speed on a cell phone. Hell I don't even think there is for wifi at my home either. I'm NEVER going to be using 100mb/s. Sure it's nice and fast. But it doesn't bother me to wait 4 minutes either.

Lol right. But with 2G/3G speeds, I don't even think the wait is even a wait at all. It's more of a short pause. Waiting 2-5 seconds for a page to load or download to end is long? Shows to see, our society is really trying to upgrade for nothing.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:06 AM   #20
Bless Mathews
454 Dumper

Bless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this board

sprint 4 life
Bless Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:07 AM   #21
Rose
slightly upset stomach

Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draz
Lol right. But with 2G/3G speeds, I don't even think the wait is even a wait at all. It's more of a short pause. Waiting 2-5 seconds for a page to load or download to end is long? Shows to see, our society is really trying to upgrade for nothing.
Exactly. As long as it loads at a decent pace and 2-5 seconds on 3G is reasonable, I don't mind. Sort of like right now my internet speed tops out at 3mb/s that's fine for me(although a slight increase is preferable). I can play xbox live, and download albums at the same time and usually the album is done in 5 minutes. And my mom can use the wii to be on netflix streaming stuff. it works well.

Basically after 5 or so mb/s I think faster internet is pointless except if you have multiple people under one roof always doing shit. like when I'm at college. I live with two other guys, and we're usually on xbox live playing halo or something, and browsing stuff online in between matches, and maybe a girlfriend is over doing her homework, or watching youtube. THAT I can understand needing more than even 10mb/s for. but not a lot more than that.
Rose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:10 AM   #22
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

cracked did it.

But it really is crazy the type of shit they pull. The whole telecommunications market seems kinda shady to me.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:11 AM   #23
Draz
Like a Baoss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose
Exactly. As long as it loads at a decent pace and 2-5 seconds on 3G is reasonable, I don't mind. Sort of like right now my internet speed tops out at 3mb/s that's fine for me(although a slight increase is preferable). I can play xbox live, and download albums at the same time and usually the album is done in 5 minutes. And my mom can use the wii to be on netflix streaming stuff. it works well.

Basically after 5 or so mb/s I think faster internet is pointless except if you have multiple people under one roof always doing shit. like when I'm at college. I live with two other guys, and we're usually on xbox live playing halo or something, and browsing stuff online in between matches, and maybe a girlfriend is over doing her homework, or watching youtube. THAT I can understand needing more than even 10mb/s for. but not a lot more than that.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:10 AM   #24
magnax1
Not a mormon

magnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Whatever it is, it's almost exactly as fast as the speeds I get it home, so I'm fine with it.
magnax1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:54 AM   #25
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Don't listen to the cynics.

Going from 3G to "4G" is like going from 56k dialup to broadband. I can't even imagine what it will be like when they offer actual 4G speeds. I can already stream HD video while driving down the freeway at 80mph...

YOU dont care because it isn't important to you, but God forbid CHOPPER simulator 4.0 was released, but was actually just 3.0 in a new shiny box, you'd cry like a b*tch and wouldn't shut up about it.

You know you're being lied to, yet you go as far as defending the lie and saying how happy you are about it. Do you work for a cellphone company or something?
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:29 PM   #26
statman32
NBA Legend

statman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

3G wasnt really 3G so as long as its faster than the last one who cares what they call it
statman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:05 PM   #27
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I guess some people don't care about being lied to and it doesn't matter shelling out a few hundred once a year for that new shiny fake "G" phones.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:56 PM   #28
Harrison_Barnes
Local High School Star

Harrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Won't be upgrading to a Smart Phone until next summer I believe.. so hopefully by the time I go to get one they actually are providing what everyone thinks they are. Its not really much of a surprise that they are lying about all of this though.
Harrison_Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:00 PM   #29
Eat Like A Bosh
Banned

Eat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation here

It's a marketing ploy sure, but it's still an upgrade.
If they don't wanna call it 4G, what else could they call it? 3GS?
Eat Like A Bosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:08 PM   #30
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat Like A Bosh
It's a marketing ploy sure, but it's still an upgrade.
If they don't wanna call it 4G, what else could they call it? 3GS?

It's just plain old 3G, they never should've called it anything other than 3G. There's been 3G upgrades over the years, but once it got to a certain point [3.7 or 3.8 if you will] and the ITU softened their marketing policies, the wireless companies took it upon themselves to start advertising it as 4G.

It's like...does anyone remember AOL 3.0 and 4.0? Between the announcements there were small upgrades, then you'd look at the program info and it would say some shit like AOL 3.23 build 19082. That's NOT 4.0. This is the same thing. It's an upgraded version of 3G advertised as 4G. Yes, it is faster, naturally, but is not 4G. Once we finally DO get to that point, we'll probably already be at 5G.

They're skipping technology generations to sell more phones.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: