Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-10-2011, 04:26 PM   #1
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

andgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default About to redo my iPod music library

I have tons of music that I don't ever listen too. Although I love the songs and the artists, they just don't get any plays. And I always find myself looking for songs that aren't in my iPod.

One thing that I will concentrate on, is on making 'playlists'.

I just don't listen to full albums on my iPod as much as I would at home.

As some of you may or may not know, I'm kinda **** about my cataloging and tagging. The same is true for playlists. This isn't gonna be a random 15 minute job, hit Genius and whatever comes out I'll add (although it will be a tool I'll use). I might spend the entire day doing this, and even then I'll continue tomorrow.

At the moment I have 13.7 gigs of audio on my iPod.

I think I can narrow that shit down to 10 or so.

These are the playlists I'm planning on including:

Soft Rock (for work)
Salsa (for work)
House/Techno/Electro (for work)
Pop r&b (for work)
Classic Rock (soft kind) (for me and for work)
Motown (for work)
Soul (for work and me)
Hip hop (obviously for me)
Punk (me)
hard rock (me)

I found out that 90% of the music I listen to is at work. So I have to cater my music around this, meaning no hard rock, hip hop etc.etc. I also play a good portion of my music through my Rhapsody app.

What are your iPod listening habits? how do they differ from what you listen to at home (pc)?

How is your iPod music cataloged? and why?
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:30 PM   #2
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: About to redo my iPod music library

It's all albums for me. I can't do playlists because whenever I get to a song I like, I just listen to the whole album.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:31 PM   #3
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Woa, the labeling. You really distinguish between Soft Rock, Classic Rock, Hard Rock & Punk? Or Soul and R&B and Motown?

That's crazy to me.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:40 PM   #4
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
It's all albums for me. I can't do playlists because whenever I get to a song I like, I just listen to the whole album.
I have a sex playlist, but that's about it. I'm an album guy aswell, once I've heard one song, I just like to go through that whole album.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:42 PM   #5
PowerGlove
By Any Means

PowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'm a discography person. If like one song, I listen to that album, then the next(if applicable) and so on.
PowerGlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:43 PM   #6
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

andgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
This is usually the same thing for me when it comes to certain songs. I cannot listen to any Pink Floyd song (besides Echoes) by itself. I MUST listen to the entire album. The same is the case for certain songs as well. But for some reason I don't feel the same when I'm on my iPod.

Perhaps it's because when I listen to my iPod I'm mobile and my attention span isn't the same?

But at home, I'm just sitting down, relaxed, so I guess I have the patience to sit down and listen to full albums.

I guess I'm weird.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:51 PM   #7
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
Woa, the labeling. You really distinguish between Soft Rock, Classic Rock, Hard Rock & Punk? Or Soul and R&B and Motown?

That's crazy to me.

Yeah.

For instance, I wouldn't categorize a song like Black Dog by Zep and These Eyes by The Guess Who together. Different songs for different moods.

At times I feel like listening to PJ's Yellow Ledbetter, and at times I wanna listen to PJ's Corduroy, although both from a hard rock band, I'd categorize Yellow more of a more melodic rock track (although not soft rock).

Motown and Soul are completely different beasts imo. By Motown I'm referring to the Motown era and sound and not the label itself. At times I'm cool with the pop-ish sound of The Temptations and The O'Jays, but at times I wann listen to Otis or Syl Johnson who are different.

Same goes for hip hop... at times I want grimy rob you Ante Up shit, at times I want something like ATCQ's Electric Relaxation.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:53 PM   #8
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I made one massive playlist a while back. I call it good stuff, and I literally went through all of the over 550 albums I have, and plucked out the reasons I bought those albums. Sometimes that's the whole album. Sometimes it's two or three songs. But it allows me listen and not have to run into Wet My Bed, or songs like that that I just have no use for on otherwise really good albums. It does have it's downsides. Because of my rediculous quantity of Pearl Jam live stuff and imports, you can hear 40 different versions of Yellow Ledbetter. I also have some issues with new stuff I buy. Because when I buy something new and I listen to whole albums I find that I'm so excited about the new stuff that I often dump much more of those albums into my living breathing Good Stuff list than I would had I let the excitement wear and get a more realistic assessment. So six months later it's sort of like "how the hell did this get on here". But my point is is that now I can use that list to make smaller playlists. The whole thing totals between 2000 and 2300 songs I think. And now I can open that playlist, sort by artist, and breakdown that playlist rather than everything. I'm currently working on a chilled out sissy rock list for late nights around the fires when parties die down and it's just a few of us dirty stay outs left. So a lot of accoustic, Dave Mathews, Jack Johnson, Jon Mayer, and singer songwriter stuff, James Taylor and the like. And then I can handpick some stuff I wouldn't think of going by artist, like I'd gloss right over Motley Crue making that by artist, but going by song I can spot that Home Sweet Home is a perfect fit. And I can do so because I only have to go through 2000 songs rather than 10K.

Last edited by Thorpesaurous : 07-10-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:13 PM   #9
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I made one massive playlist a while back. I call it good stuff, and I literally went through all of the over 550 albums I have, and plucked out the reasons I bought those albums. Sometimes that's the whole album. Sometimes it's two or three songs. But it allows me listen and not have to run into Wet My Bed, or songs like that that I just have no use for on otherwise really good albums. It does have it's downsides. Because of my rediculous quantity of Pearl Jam live stuff and imports, you can hear 40 different versions of Yellow Ledbetter. I also have some issues with new stuff I buy. Because when I buy something new and I listen to whole albums I find that I'm so excited about the new stuff that I often dump much more of those albums into my living breathing Good Stuff list than I would had I let the excitement wear and get a more realistic assessment. So six months later it's sort of like "how the hell did this get on here". But my point is is that now I can use that list to make smaller playlists. The whole thing totals between 2000 and 2300 songs I think. And now I can open that playlist, sort by artist, and breakdown that playlist rather than everything. I'm currently working on a chilled out sissy rock list for late nights around the fires when parties die down and it's just a few of us dirty stay outs left. So a lot of accoustic, Dave Mathews, Jack Johnson, Jon Mayer, and singer songwriter stuff, James Taylor and the like. And then I can handpick some stuff I wouldn't think of going by artist, like I'd gloss right over Motley Crue making that by artist, but going by song I can spot that Home Sweet Home is a perfect fit. And I can do so because I only have to go through 2000 songs rather than 10K.

Smart way to go about it.

I've been seriously thinking about weeding out a ton of my actual iTunes collection. Not that I need space on my external drive cause I have room for 100X more. I just got sick of having albums that I will never listen to in my life take up space. Just seeing them in my collection annoys me. And when I run apps that tag and do other maintenance on the collection, it makes it take forever.

Do I really need over 6 GB of Nina Simone when I only listen to a dozen songs? shit... 98% of the 6gb collection is those songs in different collections and live versions. I have rare collection of lounge music from the 60s and 70s that I downloaded because I liked a song, but I never listen to that shit. Why do I still have gigs of bossa nova when it all sounds the same? My Nas collection is sick, but mostly crap! not only is the bit rate shitty, these collabos are hideous!!! I have gigs of Chopin and other classic maestros, but after all these years I've yet to play more than 4 songs in their entirety. I've mostly skimmed through them and that was the day they were downloaded. All these shitty indie rock bands that I downloaded from PB are taking up tons of space, bad bands that deserve to stay out of the limelight, but somehow ended up in my collection taking up massive amount of space.

The purge is on!!!!!!

Let us all join together and support one another as we clear our hds from shit we don't need.

My movie collection is next..... I'm looking at you 'Frozen', 'I Know Who Killed Me' and others.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:22 PM   #10
JerrySteakhouse
HEAT 2014-2015

JerrySteakhouse is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJerrySteakhouse is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJerrySteakhouse is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJerrySteakhouse is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJerrySteakhouse is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJerrySteakhouse is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJerrySteakhouse is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJerrySteakhouse is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJerrySteakhouse is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJerrySteakhouse is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJerrySteakhouse is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Kendrick Lamar & J. Cole for everything
JerrySteakhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:28 PM   #11
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous

I have a really large list like that too.

I also start smaller playlists off of a random current song I like. I try to make those ones flow with songs that play well together and never make them longer than 80 minutes so its easily transferable to cd if anyone I know likes it.

Really though, I kind of think iTunes sucks for organizing music. I feel like the interface is limiting and clunky. I much preferred when I used a PC and could more easily group my music in folders and play it off of Media Player and WinAmp.

Last edited by kentatm : 07-10-2011 at 05:31 PM.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:02 PM   #12
leopoldstotch
Book 'em Dan'l

leopoldstotch is popular on this boardleopoldstotch is popular on this boardleopoldstotch is popular on this boardleopoldstotch is popular on this board

i've been doing the same thing. in the past, i would load albums into my phone, and i was happy with it, but then i wanted to group tracks by genre or similarities (like how it is in last.fm where you select an artist, and you can play songs similar to the artist). i take about 3-5 songs, depending if they have a good collection of albums under their belt, of a particular artist, and group them together. it has done wonders for my listening.
leopoldstotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:09 PM   #13
Stuckey
ifirtworld

Stuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputation

i like to sort out by the type of mood i'm in

so i got it down to

mellow, wake up, hype, rage, stoned, funny, podcasts, pop, chilling, and sleeping
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:13 PM   #14
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopoldstotch
i've been doing the same thing. in the past, i would load albums into my phone, and i was happy with it, but then i wanted to group tracks by genre or similarities (like how it is in last.fm where you select an artist, and you can play songs similar to the artist). i take about 3-5 songs, depending if they have a good collection of albums under their belt, of a particular artist, and group them together. it has done wonders for my listening.

Yup.

One of the main reasons Im doing this, is because I love to use the 'Genius' feature. And this doesn't work if the songs aren't imported in a playlist, if the tagging is all wrong, or there isn't enough of the same style of song.

So I'm pre-creating this on my computer, with songs that I know I'll need and listen too. I've experimented with different types of music on my iPod before, now I know what I listen to the most, and it's different from my listening habits from when I'm at home.

At home I'm listening to a ton of downtempo and trip hop, but I never listen to this on my iPod (being mobile). I listen to plenty of soft rock (more than I'd wish) and Motown stuff at work, shit that I would rarely listen to at home. And when I'm getting from point 'A' to point 'B' and I have my headphones on, as much as I love Radiohead, I don't ever listen to them, it's mostly punk rock or hard hip hop (again... I rarely listen to punk at home).

Playlists make things quicker and a more listenable experience overall.

I doubt I'm gonna miss Miles Davis on my iPod.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:15 PM   #15
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Bano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923
I have tons of music that I don't ever listen too. Although I love the songs and the artists, they just don't get any plays. And I always find myself looking for songs that aren't in my iPod.

One thing that I will concentrate on, is on making 'playlists'.

I just don't listen to full albums on my iPod as much as I would at home.

As some of you may or may not know, I'm kinda **** about my cataloging and tagging. The same is true for playlists. This isn't gonna be a random 15 minute job, hit Genius and whatever comes out I'll add (although it will be a tool I'll use). I might spend the entire day doing this, and even then I'll continue tomorrow.

At the moment I have 13.7 gigs of audio on my iPod.

I think I can narrow that shit down to 10 or so.

These are the playlists I'm planning on including:

Soft Rock (for work)
Salsa (for work)
House/Techno/Electro (for work)
Pop r&b (for work)
Classic Rock (soft kind) (for me and for work)
Motown (for work)
Soul (for work and me)
Hip hop (obviously for me)
Punk (me)
hard rock (me)

I found out that 90% of the music I listen to is at work. So I have to cater my music around this, meaning no hard rock, hip hop etc.etc. I also play a good portion of my music through my Rhapsody app.

What are your iPod listening habits? how do they differ from what you listen to at home (pc)?

How is your iPod music cataloged? and why?

I already went through what you're about to go through. I just had every song I liked all on my ipod. Then when I would shuffle I would skip all the songs for my favorites.

It got to the point that I took out all the songs that I would'nt listen too if I shuffled. That got me down to about 50 songs. Then I did it again and was at about 25 songs for a while.

Eventually I started to miss songs and put alot of them back and made seperate play-lists. So far so good.
Bano114 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: