Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 07-28-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
jaydacris
Rose

Default Nintendo 3DS price drop August 12

Nintendo 3DS price will be dropping from $249 to $169 on august 12th.
Current owners will get 20 free games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engadget
While pressure from the upcoming Vita is surely playing a part, Nintendo plans to sell 16 million 3DS units in the financial year, but still slashed its financial projections for the year from 110 billion to just 20 billion.

i think we have a couple 3ds owners here.. enjoy your free games!
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
Kungfro
Takeo Ischi

Default Re: Nintendo 3DS price drop August 12

Wow, didn't expect a price drop so soon. I might actually pick one up.

What is the 20 free games? I'm assuming it's from the online store or something?
Kungfro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:44 PM   #3
jaydacris
Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kungfro
Wow, didn't expect a price drop so soon. I might actually pick one up.

What is the 20 free games? I'm assuming it's from the online store or something?

looks like it will be 10 free NES virtual console games September 1st, plus 10 more Game Boy Advance virtual console games
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:00 PM   #4
niko
I Run NY.

I like my 3DS. The netflix ap is nice, and the three games i have (SF3, DOA and especially Zelda) are great. If i just had the machine and Zelda i'd be happy with it. THe upcoming lineup is very solid too. It's not as powerful as that VITA is going to be but it's a handheld, it's not like it's outputting to an HDTV, etc. I'm not sure why a handheld needs to be mega powerful. You can't see the difference. (I love my PS3 and my 3DS.)

Last edited by niko : 07-28-2011 at 01:04 PM.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:27 PM   #5
bluechox2
#knickstape

i might pick one up then
bluechox2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:56 PM   #6
LJJ
Extra Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechox2
i might pick one up then

This.

Has it been pirated yet though?
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:50 PM   #7
D12"Magic"
College superstar

That's incredible. 250 to 170
And when do we get the free games Aug. 12th?
D12"Magic" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:03 PM   #8
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
This.

Has it been pirated yet though?
Only for DS games. Not for 3DS Games.

D12, free games (NES) start Sept.1. GBA games have a vague (this year) date. Don't expect them all at one time, the purpose is to get the early adopter on the EShop, so far the EShop usage is a much lower % than Nintendo wants. THis is part of the strategy to get us on the store.

BTW, Mario confirmed for November, Mario Kart for December, and Kid Icarus is still on this year's release schedule.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:14 PM   #9
LJJ
Extra Cheese

^that's too bad. I already have a DS with all the pirating I need from it.

When do you guys thing the "improved" version of the 3DS, ie the one that doesn't automatically destroy the screens during regular use, gets announced? November or right after the holidays?

Nintendo is pretty genius with their marketing these days. They realize their hardcore fans are suckers.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:26 PM   #10
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
^that's too bad. I already have a DS with all the pirating I need from it.

When do you guys thing the "improved" version of the 3DS, ie the one that doesn't automatically destroy the screens during regular use, gets announced? November or right after the holidays?

Nintendo is pretty genius with their marketing these days. They realize their hardcore fans are suckers.
Why are we suckers? Because we get free games rather than nothing? I bought my PSP for $300, less than a year later it dropped $100. it always happens. That's an expectation if you buy something the first day.

My 3DS isn't destroying it's own screen. The two screens are two close, so it leaves smudge marks. I'm not sure how that equates to "the screen being destroyed".

Wasn't aware we fought system wars here. Nintendo sucks!
Old 07-28-2011, 06:31 PM   #11
LJJ
Extra Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
Why are we suckers? Because we get free games rather than nothing? I bought my PSP for $300, less than a year later it dropped $100. it always happens. That's an expectation if you buy something the first day.

My 3DS isn't destroying it's own screen. The two screens are two close, so it leaves smudge marks. I'm not sure how that equates to "the screen being destroyed".

Wasn't aware we fought system wars here. Nintendo sucks!

Criticizing a company for lowering their prices with 40%!! after less than a half year equals system wars? I have never owned a Sony game system in my life!

Yeah really, I see it now, Nintendo isn't burning their hardcore fans here. But at least the hardcore fans get free games! Super Mario Bros! Yoshi's Island! Super Mario Kart! Metroid Fusion! Donkey Kong Jr! Legend of Zelda! All those games hardcore Nintendo fans (the only people who have bought a 3DS up until now) don't already own.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #12
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
Criticizing a company for lowering their prices with 40%!! after less than a half year equals system wars? I have never owned a Sony game system in my life!

Yeah really, I see it now, Nintendo isn't burning their hardcore fans here. But at least the hardcore fans get free games! Super Mario Bros! Yoshi's Island! Super Mario Kart! Metroid Fusion! Donkey Kong Jr! Legend of Zelda! All those games hardcore Nintendo fans (the only people who have bought a 3DS up until now) don't already own.
Do you work for a company? They priced the system too high. They corrected it. What did you want them to do? And in return they gave the people who bought it early (clearly the hardcore Nintendo fans) 20 free games. ANd it's not crap, it's things i would want.

This is a business decision in response to lower Forecasted revenue/P&L because they can't push enough units out to get the economies of scale they need to push enough units of their software for either themselves or their partners (they've been pushing 3rd parties hard). Yes, they ****ed up. I don't get what else they could do.

This wasn't a planned price cut, this was a reaction to a low forecast and their stock price going down. Shit happens.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:59 PM   #13
LJJ
Extra Cheese

Nintendo thought the system was going to sell in bunches with main attractions being a remake of Rayman 2 and a remake of Street Fighter?

You are not giving Nintendo a lot of credit here. As if they don't market research and haven't been market leader in handheld gaming for twenty years. I'm sure the pricedrop is larger and quicker because of the Vita breathing down their necks, but this has been a part of Nintendo's business strategy for many years and they definitely deserve some calling out for it.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:19 AM   #14
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

They must have seen the Vita demo.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:33 AM   #15
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Was tempted to buy this at one point but 3D gaming is just annoying. The main selling gimmick for this system is, IMO, completely useless.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: