Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-11-2011, 01:09 AM   #1
tpols
7-time NBA All-Star

tpols has a terrific reputationtpols has a terrific reputationtpols has a terrific reputationtpols has a terrific reputationtpols has a terrific reputationtpols has a terrific reputation
Default Does anyone have experience with mediation?

Does anyone here have experience with mediation/yoga? I'm trying to learn it a little bit, but the whole controlling your breathing thing is kind of hard because if I start thinking and focusing on it I get a little anxious. Does anyone have any techniques?
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:12 AM   #2
MikeBeas2
I airball my layups

MikeBeas2 has decent reputation
Default Re: Does anyone have experience with mediation?

yeas i tend to take sum medisine because my rehab doktor sais im retarded and ned to take dem so i can relax
MikeBeas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:12 AM   #3
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpols
Does anyone here have experience with mediation/yoga? I'm trying to learn it a little bit, but the whole controlling your breathing thing is kind of hard because if I start thinking and focusing on it I get a little anxious. Does anyone have any techniques?

I've been an avid fan of yoga for a while now... even though I don't practice as much as I should... and I can honestly say it is both beneficial and invigorating for both the body and mind.

People can trash on it all they want, but it improves focus, balance, strength, and endurance, which are important in athleticism.
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:13 AM   #4
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBeas2
yeas i tend to take sum medisine because my rehab doktor sais im retarded and ned to take dem so i can relax

Another Beasley gimmick account?? Great.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:16 AM   #5
MikeBeas2
I airball my layups

MikeBeas2 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankShot
Another Beasley gimmick account?? Great.

da otha mikebeas gut banned. im not mikebeas tho
MikeBeas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:18 AM   #6
tpols
7-time NBA All-Star

tpols has a terrific reputationtpols has a terrific reputationtpols has a terrific reputationtpols has a terrific reputationtpols has a terrific reputationtpols has a terrific reputation

Quote:
I've been an avid fan of yoga for a while now... even though I don't practice as much as I should... and I can honestly say it is both beneficial and invigorating for both the body and mind.

People can trash on it all they want, but it improves focus, balance, strength, and endurance, which are important in athleticism.
Yea.. thats why I'm trying to do it. It seems like something way better to invest my time in than watching TV or playing videogames..
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:18 AM   #7
thatoneblackguy

thatoneblackguy has a terrific reputationthatoneblackguy has a terrific reputationthatoneblackguy has a terrific reputationthatoneblackguy has a terrific reputationthatoneblackguy has a terrific reputation

Smoke weed.
thatoneblackguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:27 AM   #8
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpols
Yea.. thats why I'm trying to do it. It seems like something way better to invest my time in than watching TV or playing videogames..

Flexibility and balance are severely underrated by your average amateur athlete.... which Yoga can really improve much better than what most would consider standard workout/exercise (running, lifting, active sports)

If you're really interested, look into taking a class somewhere. Not only will you get some individual attention to ensure proper form for optimal benefits, but also every Yoga class I've attended has featured some prime females.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:43 AM   #9
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:

Flexibility and balance are severely underrated by your average amateur athlete.... which Yoga can really improve much better than what most would consider standard workout/exercise (running, lifting, active sports)

If you're really interested, look into taking a class somewhere. Not only will you get some individual attention to ensure proper form for optimal benefits, but also every Yoga class I've attended has featured some prime females.

A lot of places offer a free week of classes as well if you are new to everything, the thing is though once that week is over that, from my experiences at least, it tends to be on the more expensive side. I'm sure there are some good deals out there though.

And yes, the females are quite nice in general at yoga classes.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:49 AM   #10
joe
College superstar

joe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputation

I've meditated before. I never got into the habit and quit after a month or so.

But I must say, it helped me tremendously. I remember how clear and "calm" my mind would feel after meditating. I felt I was nicer to people, more at ease with myself, and less prone to anxiety in general. I felt way more comfortable in social situations (something that became hard for me after all the weed I smoked as a teen. lol).

There are different meditation methods, albeit I'm speaking from limited education on the subject.

The way I did it was...

I'd get comfortable. Usually I'd just sit on my bed, comfortable clothes, etc.

Then I'd shut my eyes, and try to clear my head.

The first thing you'll notice is your inner-thoughts constantly popping into your mind. You try to ignore them, but they won't stop.

Other times, you'll suddenly realize that you've spent the last 5 minutes worrying about your job, or a test you have coming up. Whoops!

You just have to fight through that and try to clear your mind. Make it so you're not thinking about anything. Just clear.

To do this, every time I felt a thought start to form, I'd say to myself.. "I'll think about that later."

After a while, I would meditate for about 20 minutes a day.

But you should start out slow at first, maybe just like a 5 minute session for a few days. It's a surprisingly difficult task when you're just starting. Draining, even.

Last edited by joe : 07-11-2011 at 01:56 AM.
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:04 AM   #11
Stuckey
ifirtworld

Stuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputation

why not just get high, put on some ridiculously relaxing music, and try to practice zen or whatever

works for me, most enjoyable moments of my life, just chilling by myself baked with some music
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:08 AM   #12
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuckey
why not just get high, put on some ridiculously relaxing music, and try to practice zen or whatever

works for me, most enjoyable moments of my life, just chilling by myself baked with some music

Physically exerting oneself while improving strength, stamina, coordination, balance, and flexibility >>>>> getting baked by yourself with music
Old 07-11-2011, 02:10 AM   #13
Stuckey
ifirtworld

Stuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Physically exerting oneself while improving strength, stamina, coordination, balance, and flexibility >>>>> getting baked by yourself with music

orrrrr, yoga + THC

i hear that's an amazing combination, ill make sure to do that some rainy day
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:12 AM   #14
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuckey
orrrrr, yoga + THC

i hear that's an amazing combination, ill make sure to do that some rainy day

Anyone that says that Yoga and Weed are good together.... obviously is doing some pretty easy and pointless shit.

After twenty minutes I'm breathing heavily and sweating like a mofo.... which sounds awful if one is high.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:05 AM   #15
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

JEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

In my religion we often pray Salat, where we are reciting Quranic verses by heart in a certain way. If you completely focus on the words and syllables. Often has a very energzing/comforting effect afterwards.

I'd advise that you find a quiet area and count your inhalations for 5 seconds, then keep it for 4 seconds, then exhale for 6 seconds.. as slow as possible. By clearing everything out you temporarily lose the "ego" which is the biting voice in your head that says I WANT THIS NOW UR NOT GOOD ENUFF OMG WORRY WORRY STRESS STRESS etc. etc. This is also known as "pranic healing."

If you look further into Hindu yoga techniqes... search Kundalinii. Familiarize yourself with Chakras.

Research shows that you emit different type of waves.. alpha, beta, delta, gamma.. Beta is often when you're up and about and susceptible to stress. Delta and gamma are in stages of deep sleep aid in mental recovery which are also found if you meditate properly.

108meditations.com has a good selection of types.

The idea is to STOP THINKING. Without TRYING to STOP THINKING. It's the basis of just doing. Every time someone's in a zone.. whether it be swishing free throws, or practicing dance moves with Jennifer Grey with Time of your life in the background on stage, or even trying to excel in a test.. its all about eliminating the bullsh!t in your head, bud. Best of luck.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: