Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-11-2011, 08:01 AM   #1
mrhoopfan
Local High School Star

mrhoopfan has decent reputation
Default Pick and Roll

As a long time NBA fan and self-proclaimed hoops junkie I am beginning to think that the NBA has to do something to cap the amount of pick and rolls per 24 second shot clock. As much as I love basketball, i get tired of watching a million and one ball screens in NBA games plus it does give an offense too much of an advantage. Watching one of the games on hardwood classic the other day the passing, screening and cutting created such a free flowing offense that to me despite the incomparable athleticism to today's game was rather interesting to watch!
mrhoopfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:13 AM   #2
Jon_Koncak
Great young streetballer

Jon_Koncak is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Pick and Roll

if you hate pick n roll i suggest you not to watch any euroleague games during the lock out.European teams literally run nothing but pick n rolls on 90% of their possesions
Jon_Koncak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:20 AM   #3
chips93

reminded me of this funny thread

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=219392

players nowadays are different. perimeter players can get to the basket more and picks help that, so it plays to their advantage, same for athletic bigs who can use their athleticism by catching the ball on the move, negating modern players' lack of post game.

watch nash's suns. they ran one of the most enjoyable and effective offenses in a long time based around the pick and roll.

eddie jordan tried to implement a princeton style offense in washington and phila and it didnt really work well, so unless you have great passing bigs like divac and webber, you're probably better off running a lot of pick and roll. its just the most efective play in today's game
Old 07-11-2011, 08:24 AM   #4
mrhoopfan
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by chips93
reminded me of this funny thread

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=219392

players nowadays are different. perimeter players can get to the basket more and picks help that, so it plays to their advantage, same for athletic bigs who can use their athleticism by catching the ball on the move, negating modern players' lack of post game.

watch nash's suns. they ran one of the most enjoyable and effective offenses in a long time based around the pick and roll.

eddie jordan tried to implement a princeton style offense in washington and phila and it didnt really work well, so unless you have great passing bigs like divac and webber, you're probably better off running a lot of pick and roll. its just the most efective play in today's game

As a Suns fan I didn't find it too enjoyable to watch Nash dribble around the court for like 2/3 of the possession. i agree with its effectiveness but to me it creates alot of stagnation
Old 07-11-2011, 08:28 AM   #5
CeltsGarlic
Real quick

CeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhoopfan
As a long time NBA fan and self-proclaimed hoops junkie I am beginning to think that the NBA has to do something to cap the amount of pick and rolls per 24 second shot clock. As much as I love basketball, i get tired of watching a million and one ball screens in NBA games plus it does give an offense too much of an advantage. Watching one of the games on hardwood classic the other day the passing, screening and cutting created such a free flowing offense that to me despite the incomparable athleticism to today's game was rather interesting to watch!

I actually think you dont know what pick n roll means.
CeltsGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:30 AM   #6
ZenMaster
Whap'em

ZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

There's no chance you could define and enforce rules on the amount of picks set on the ball handler on a given possession.
ZenMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:39 AM   #7
chips93

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhoopfan
As a Suns fan I didn't find it too enjoyable to watch Nash dribble around the court for like 2/3 of the possession. i agree with its effectiveness but to me it creates alot of stagnation

this seems like a contradiction to me

how could it be stagnant and effective?
Old 07-11-2011, 08:40 AM   #8
knightfall88
Local High School Star

knightfall88 has an OK reputation so far

bring back hand checking. But then Lebron won't have a career
knightfall88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:09 AM   #9
mrhoopfan
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by chips93
this seems like a contradiction to me

how could it be stagnant and effective?

Fewer people touch the ball..... Gets redundant to watch
Old 07-11-2011, 11:10 AM   #10
mrhoopfan
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeltsGarlic
I actually think you dont know what pick n roll means.

Ok, if you say so
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: