Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-21-2006, 03:20 AM   #1
ElPigto
*****istrator

ElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default OT: College Transition

For those out there I would just like to get everyone's opinion. How do most of you all feel when you get a C or D in a course in college? I've never gotten C's in my life, and mostly been an A and B student, but college sure kicked my butt this semester.

I feel pretty crappy because I'm not use to having this feeling whatsoever, but I'm wondering how everyone else handles it, that is if you make these type of grades. I promised I worked hard for my grades, but I feel I'm just a bad test taker if you give me multiple choice. Short answer, I can do with ease, but multiple choice kills me every time.

Can I have some opinions for those who go to college?
ElPigto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 04:31 AM   #2
Ron_Artesticle
I hit open layups

Ron_Artesticle has an OK reputation so far

Sounds like your crappy high school has given you an inflated sense of your own self worth and intelligence. College has shown you where your rightful place is.

Last edited by Ron_Artesticle : 12-21-2006 at 05:17 AM.
Ron_Artesticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 05:12 AM   #3
ClutchCityReturns
Decent college freshman

ClutchCityReturns has decent reputationClutchCityReturns has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Artesticle
Sounds like your crappy high school has given you an inflated sense of your own self worth and intelligence. College has shown you where your rightful place.

Who knows? Might actually be true, but...

I don't really know what to tell you, man. I was an A and B student in high school, then pretty much an A and B student when I started college. After a year or so I thought I was hot sh!t so started slacking off and hanging out all night on weeknights, working more hours than I should have been, etc. I ended up getting C+, D+, D, F that semester After my dad basically told me he'd disown me if things didn't get better in a hurry, I turned around and made dean's list the very next semester. Then I never made below a B ever again.

The difference between my situation and yours is that I got bad grades because I simply didn't give a f*ck that semester. Hell, the one class I got an F in was because I went the first day and never went back. I didn't want to drop it because I was worried that without a full-time schedule I wouldn't be eligible for insurance discounts and whatnot.

So again, I don't really know what to tell you because your situation is different from mine. You're actually trying. I never really tried that hard even when my grades were good. I never read a single book that was considered "required reading" and I rarely read chapters for upcoming tests. Sometimes it's hard to believe that I pulled it off but I did. Never cheated either.

Maybe try study groups or something? How do you prepare for tests currently?
ClutchCityReturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 06:41 AM   #4
hotsizzle
Superstar

hotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation here

man I had the same thing but my prob was that I didnt try when I got to college cuz hs was a cakewalk. I was mostly a straight A student in hs ...got to college, living on my own first time in my life and I just straight ****ed it up. didnt open a book, would do homeworks half hour before class (i only went when i had something to hand in and even then i left as soon as i did) or just get it from a freind... would study the couple hrs before the test, day-night cycle was ****ed up.... ended up with a D, 2 Cs, B and an F in a stupid 1 credit class that was assigned to me and I never went to. then come winter break (transition between 1st and 2nd semester...had a long talk with my pops and decided to step a lil bit) so I retook that D class and got a B+ , got 2 As on top of it and a B. then this semester I've continued to do the same. The main thing is to just not slack off, that was my main problem...still somewhat.

As for the college material, it just needs for you to work harder. multiple choice is actually easier because the answer is literally right there, you just have to pick it out. One thing is that you have to be mentally tough in general, you're gonna face alot of different problems and situations and if you fold, you'll fail miserably.

thats all really, that and maybe try not to think about stuff like "OMG, this test will decide my grade and could affect my whole future"....keep things in perspective, know what you want and work towards it but dont let it get to you or slow you down. Also try to have fun, thats what college is all about

EDIT: reading clutch's posts, gotta alot of similarities

Last edited by hotsizzle : 12-21-2006 at 06:54 AM.
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 09:14 AM   #5
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

If college teaches nothing else, it'll teach you time management and how to prioritize. If that fails, network and find good friends that'll help with your studies. Nothing is given to you in college, everything is earned.

Quote:
Sounds like your crappy high school has given you an inflated sense of your own self worth and intelligence. College has shown you where your rightful place is.

Truth.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:59 AM   #6
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Artesticle

That was cold.

ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:40 AM   #7
Darkess
High School Varsity 12th Man

Darkess has not been impressing people

I've found the same thing, but it depends on your major. Some majors are just easier for A's to come out. The reason being in some majors you just have to do it and you'll get a good grade, in others you've got to know it through and through to get a good grade.
Darkess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 12:15 PM   #8
ElPigto
*****istrator

ElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkess
I've found the same thing, but it depends on your major. Some majors are just easier for A's to come out. The reason being in some majors you just have to do it and you'll get a good grade, in others you've got to know it through and through to get a good grade.

Well I'm an engineering major. I did try hard my first semester, but I did a lot of the same stuff Hotsizzle did which was doing my homework 30 minutes before class. My labs I'd do them like a night before class. Some labs I didn't even do.

I did put it on cruise control through half the semester as well which definately affected me. There was one class I didn't give a crap about which is why I'm going to get a D in it and that's microeconomics. I simply didn't try in that class whatsoever. I didn't go to class. I study for the test the night before etc etc.

To that Ron Artest dude, you are right, I did go to a crappy high school. Probably my grades there gave me more confidence than I should have right now, but I'll be honest, I've never been one to give up. I've proposed myself to getting straight A's next semester. I'm not sure how that will work out, but one thing I will never do in college again is get a C. This is my first year, and I guess it thought me a lesson. I followed along with the Civil Engineering Stats in UT; 70% of first year freshman make below a 3.0 GPA.

I'll be okay though. I appreciate anyone that responded to this thread. I tried hard, I'm not going to lie, but I didn't try as hard as I should of in some classes. Hopefully next semester I'll have a write up if my hardwork pay off. My next semester schedule is:

M427K - Advanced Calc Apps 1
PHY 303K - Engineering Physics 1
ME210 - Engineering Design Graphics
GE203K - General Engineering
PHY 103M - Engineering Lab
M340L - Matrices Math

I might switch one of those classes and take a Civil Engineering computer programming course, but I'm not sure yet, I'm still thinking about it.

One thing is though, I'm not stupid, it's just a learning experience and I've always been known to prove people who doubted me wrong.

Thank you ISH posters.
ElPigto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 12:50 PM   #9
joe lucky
Decent playground baller

joe lucky has an OK reputation so far

yeah don't worry about your first semester grades. You have plenty of time to pull them up trust me. Just put in the work cause engineering and lab classes are just that...work.
joe lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:00 PM   #10
matt1016
Kids at the park dunk on me

matt1016 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPigto

Can I have some opinions for those who go to college?

My grades were up and down for the first few years of school. I recovered in time to finish with a GPA above 3, but I definitely had to face facts - in college, you're competing against other smart kids. You can't rely on natural talent. I did very well in high school, but as I'm sure you're finding out now, high school is a whole different ball game.

Getting good grades in college is more a matter of hard work, not brain power.

You've got to go to every class and write down every the professor says - good class notes >> studying cold from the text book.

You've got to set aside regular study time and stick to it. I found it was easy to get in a good session on Friday, in the early evening. Nobody is in the library at that hour, and getting some work done before weekend partying made the booze taste a bit sweeter.

Also, try to visit the professor during his/her open office hours. You can get a little bit of individual attention AND earn some brownie points.
matt1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 02:13 PM   #11
conebone69
Can barely lace up my sneakers

conebone69 has an OK reputation so far

I wouldn't stress out about it too much. You have plenty of time to up your GPA. Once you figure out what your professors are looking for and expect from you school will be much easier.
conebone69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 02:29 PM   #12
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool
Default re

the second poster hit it dead on.

you were lazy in high school.

those who have an easy time in college were those nerdy kids in high school who attended math team, Intel projects, etc....

college is all about effort and how much you want it. not about natural aptitude.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 02:32 PM   #13
konex
3-time NBA All-Star

konex has an OK reputation so far

I totally flunked my first semester of college as well. You've got to adjust to the freedom and be disciplined enough to get your work done. Good luck...
konex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 02:38 PM   #14
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

get yourself into a study group and learn to manage your study time...

the most simple way to do it is to treat your school work like regular work... put in 8 hours a day of study and utilize the study groups of the people in your classes..

of all the lessons I learned in college, very few of them involved the classroom

college teaches you to use what tools you have to be successful..and whatever tools you dont have, you figure out a way to succeed without them...Its not like High school at all

you are on your own...If you skip class, no-one will care...you'll just flunk out and nobody will miss you....its up to you..

do yourself a favor and take your education seriously....it will go along way to helping you avoid various problems in the future
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 02:48 PM   #15
Hawker
Banned

Hawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation here

El Pigto you are taknig ENGINEERING CLASSES. By far one of the hardest majors ever. Dont worry about it man you will do fine. Just as long as you do good internships and such you will be fine.

BTW i doubt you will get an A i ntaht physics class. MY brother is doing mechanical engineering at aTm and said ever engineer major takes that physics class and he says it's thje "weed out class" so yea i doubt you make an A but dont let that stop you from trying to do your best at it.

but keep in mind Engineering is harder than almost any other major. ITs WAY harder than business. Business is almost a cake walk

Last edited by Hawker : 12-21-2006 at 02:52 PM.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: