Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-22-2006, 03:00 PM   #1
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

DoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected poster
Question If you were a coach, how would you stop the Suns?

i mean damn... this team just doesn't give a damn defensively, but they'll blow you outta the water on offense...

GREAT point guard
GREAT 3 point shooters
GREAT bigmen (mostly amare and marion)

i mean jeeze...

any suggestions on how to slow these guys down?
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:01 PM   #2
ManUtd
Banned

ManUtd has an OK reputation so far

I'd just tell my players to play defense.
ManUtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:02 PM   #3
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Take a note from the Lakers game plan from the playoffs last year. It was a good game plan and despite the Lakers losing (to the better team), they took them to 7 games.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:02 PM   #4
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

make nash the prime scorer...somehow....even though he probably will score and win anyways....what was the question again?
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:03 PM   #5
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Id trap Nash here and there unexpectedly and slow the game down on Offense....

once they get you trying to run with them, they usually win
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:04 PM   #6
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

Transition defense is the hardest defense to develop and the Suns exploit that brilliantly. If somehow you can get players to play good transition defense and and slow the game down, you'll win. A lot easier said than done. The Spurs were really good at that two years ago.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:05 PM   #7
ManUtd
Banned

ManUtd has an OK reputation so far

Didn't Bowen keep Marion to under 10 ppg?
ManUtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:06 PM   #8
qrich
King Heno

qrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Play either 3-2, 1-3-1, 3-2 Matchup or a 1-2-1 zone on defense.

On offense, take the shot clock down to 10-13 seconds before running a play. That way you shut down the Suns hitting a shot every 20 seconds.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:25 PM   #9
statman32
NBA Legend

statman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
On offense, take the shot clock down to 10-13 seconds before running a play

that would only limit your chances at scoring

what i would do is double amare in the post and put constant pressure on nash the whole game
statman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:25 PM   #10
Rab
Jared Dudley's #1 Fan

Rab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
Take a note from the Lakers game plan from the playoffs last year. It was a good game plan and despite the Lakers losing (to the better team), they took them to 7 games.

You can't do that to them as much this season though, because Amare and Kurt are back. They make it a little harder than just T2 and Diaw.

The way I've noticed to be effective against the Suns is:

#1. Shoot a high % from the field. This helps keep the Suns of the fast break. Be patient and run your offense. Don't always take the first open shot from the outside. Make the extra pass, and make them expend energy on defense.

#2. Make sure one man runs back on defense after a shot is attempted. The Suns (especially Marion) like to release after a shot attempt and it gets them easy shots on the other end.

#3. Play some sort of zone defense. You can't do it to them over the course of a whole game because eventually their shooters are going to get you, but mix it up, collapse on Amare and force him to be a playmaker.

#4. Don't get suckered into playing at their pace. This is the most important thing. Too many teams run with the Suns, and right now, no one does it better.
Rab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:26 PM   #11
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Play either 3-2, 1-3-1, 3-2 Matchup or a 1-2-1 zone on defense

I don't think zones will beat the Suns.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:27 PM   #12
hotsizzle
Superstar

hotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation here

Go ask Phil. stopped them for 3 straight games last yr holding them under 100...unfortunately they bounced back
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:29 PM   #13
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I think a big thing that made the Lakers so successful is the Odom/Marion matchup. Marion gets so many fastbreak points normally, and it sparks the offense and the team, and gives them big momentum. Odom was constantly backing Marion down and tiring him out, and basically keeping Shawn underneath the basket while he was on defense, to prevent those easy fastbreak points.

It seemed to be really effective, although with Amare back, it makes it all the harder.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:31 PM   #14
statman32
NBA Legend

statman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsizzle
Go ask Phil. stopped them for 3 straight games last yr holding them under 100...unfortunately they bounced back
ahhh you lakers fans...this years suns team is a different team...we have a inside prescence so we wont get domintated as much...plus we will be able to get to the free throw line with amare

but if anyone could come up with a gameplan for this years team leave it to phil
statman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:34 PM   #15
Younggrease
Banned

Younggrease has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTech
i mean damn... this team just doesn't give a damn defensively, but they'll blow you outta the water on offense...

GREAT point guard
GREAT 3 point shooters
GREAT bigmen (mostly amare and marion)

i mean jeeze...

any suggestions on how to slow these guys down?

its not that hard to stop the suns, but most teams cant prepare for the suns in the regular season because there is little time between games.

If Im playing the suns, i make NAsh out score me. I cut off all the other passing lanes on his pick and rolls. Than I guy at Diaw and Amare down low.

keep the game close and in the 4th quarter out execute them. Suns are not great in 4th quarter execution.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: